PDA

View Full Version : Parker Thrift Time Jr. ???

Finalist
February 9th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Hi,
I got this pen a few days ago with no idea what it is besides a Parker logo on the clip. After a lot of digging with a little help I found it is a thrift time model. I've managed to take it apart, clean it and have a new sac coming. The repair work has been very rewarding and the nib is very nice during some dip tests. It has flex at about the same sizes as my serwex flex mb, but requires less pressure. The pen is small and feels fragile.

Is it very rare? Is it worth trading as I would prefer something more for EDC?
I can't find much info, nor one exactly like it besides a sold version on peytonstreet's site. Note the blind cap is the same color as the body.

Finalist
February 9th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Here's a picture of all the parts. The hardest part by far was removing the section. I managed to get it out with zero damage, so I feel petty good now! I will say this is my first "restore" and it is very rewarding. I can't wait for the sac and shellac to arrive.

Any advice or info is appreciated.

usk15
February 9th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I'm not able to view attachments...
Anyway the pen is very nice, if i will be in your position i will keep it.

Finalist
February 9th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I just did another dip test and the nib is smooth in certain positions and scratchy like an extra fine in other positions. It has flex, but definitely not like a flex designed nib. It's probably better to call it a soft. I may just put the sac on and see what its trade value is. I'm lusting over a Mottishaw mod'ed Falcon.

HughC
February 10th, 2014, 01:45 PM
If you want to know all about it post the pic on the FPB (http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/) in the Parker forum, I'm pretty sure there's at least one thread there about these pens.

Regards
Hugh

Finalist
February 10th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks!

I just signed up over there and have been reading. Lots of info on this style.

Finalist
February 10th, 2014, 11:41 PM
9767Here's a quick writing sample. Just nib dipped, but it is a very nice feeling.

david i
February 11th, 2014, 04:59 AM
Thanks!

Hi,

I've been drowning at hospital of late. Will get your name cleared there for posting shortly, and I will address your pen here at FPG as well.

While it has no known formal catalogue appearance, at the very least we tend to call it-- to degree one opts to use the term 'thrift pen"-- as "Challenger-like Thrift Pen". Thin washer clip of regular Challenger, triple bands of Deluxe Challenger, matching end pieces of neither Challenger, bland Parker imprint...

best regards

david

Finalist
February 11th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks!

Hi,

I've been drowning at hospital of late. Will get your name cleared there for posting shortly, and I will address your pen here at FPG as well.

While it has no known formal catalogue appearance, at the very least we tend to call it-- to degree one opts to use the term 'thrift pen"-- as "Challenger-like Thrift Pen". Thin washer clip of regular Challenger, triple bands of Deluxe Challenger, matching end pieces of neither Challenger, bland Parker imprint...

best regards

david

Thanks,

I'm all logged in now and posted a couple new threads. Now I'm on the hunt for how to price this little thing. Is it worth moving? I'd like to build up some Paypal to buy a Pilot Falcon, but how do I price it? Best Offer?

Finalist
February 16th, 2014, 04:35 PM
New sac is shellaced and everything is working very well. My first restore is done! The nib is nice and soft. The nonpressured line could be more fine, but overall there is good contrast between flexed and unflexed. 10019

welch
February 19th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I have an "ordinary" Challenger that I bought -- re-sacced -- for about $40 on EBay. A nice little pen. Your "thrift-time" looks beautiful, and, from your description, writes well. I wouldn't sell it, but, then, I don't write with full-flex nib pens. Soft, yes, but I write too fast to get line variation.

Too fragile for everyday use? Consider that it's lasted 75 years already: a tough pen!

Still, if you want a Mottishaw-flexed Falcon...