PDA

View Full Version : Esterbrook nib unit repair

Mr. JW
February 11th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I have an Esterbrook Renew Point nib unit (9668) that has a cracked collar (at least that's how I refer to it, it's the piece that holds the nib and feed in place). I tried gluing it back together, but in doing so, made it too tight to refit the nib and feed. Can this be repaired or can I replace just the collar. I have already purchased a new nib unit (a 9460), but I'd like to salvage this nib if I can.

Thanks!

ac12
February 11th, 2014, 10:26 AM
The collar is under pressure when you install the nib/feed so it is unlikely to stay together.
Look for a junker nib assembly (one with a broken feed or nib) and use the collar from that.

Now the difficult part...removing the nib and feed from the collar.
BUT, first you need to look at the collar and determine if and how the feed is secured into the collar. If there is a pin, you need to remove the pin first.
The only way that I know of is to warm the nib assembly, then screw it into a spare section, put it on a knock out block and punch out the feed.

pajaro
March 18th, 2014, 07:18 PM
That's right. Use a spare section, screw in the nib unit, put it on the knock-out block and tap the nib and feed out gently. You need a new collar. If you can't get one, pm me and I'll send you one. Take the nib and feed, position them together and gently work them into the new old collar. Heating the collar some might help. Maybe somebody else here has a better method of reassembly.