PDA

View Full Version : Turquoise Throwdown: Montegrappa, Omas, Pelikan, Lamy, Diamine, J. Herbin

ChrisC
February 11th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Here's the results of the throwdown.

Review was entirely done using my Pendletuned Visconti Opera Club Nordic Fjord, with a very stub-like Broad nib. I rinsed the nib and primed it for each writing sample. I didn't do this perfectly, so take my results with a couple grains of salt.

- I found out that wettest =/= most lubricated nib feeling
- At least for me, in this case, the cheapest were the best
- Pelikan 4001 Turquoise is nicely wet, unlike 4001 Royal Blue. It was also the most lubricated and best-feeling of the inks.
- Scotch Tape will prevent spills from sample vials.

Here's the carnage:

(Omas Turquoise, not Omas Blue. my bad.)

swanjun
February 12th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Nice! Just reaffirms that Pelikan Turquoise is a favorite. :)

ChrisC
February 12th, 2014, 08:52 AM
yep! I'll be getting that in the future. My wallet is happy that I didn't find Montegrappa ($20, 40ish mL) my favorite.

As can be seen from the loooonggggg smear, it was wet, but not as well lubricated as the Pelikan 4001 and the Montegrappa was also too light.

The Pelikan 4001 realy is great. It was quite wet, but still shaded beautifully. Velvety and luscious smooth on the paper as well.

inlovewithjournals
February 12th, 2014, 09:40 AM
J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche is still my fave turquoise. Thanks for the review!

klpeabody
February 12th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Wow. Pelikan Turquoise really stands out in this comparison. For me, at least.

tandaina
February 12th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I didn't expect it but that Pelikan turquoise stole the show for me!

ac12
February 12th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Try Sheaffer Skrip turquoise.
Seems quite good, to me.
And it is very affordable.

Lady Onogaro
February 19th, 2014, 05:05 PM
I would like to see how Noodler's Navajo Turquoise looks in the mix.

lsmith42
February 19th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I would like to see how Noodler's Navajo Turquoise looks in the mix.
Agreed... Waterman South Seas (or whatever the hell its called these days) as well... MB Turquoise shouldn't count (unobtainium), but MB Balzac Turquiose should count!

ChrisC
February 20th, 2014, 12:14 AM
I should add that Montblanc Mystery Black's lubrication and smooth feel far outclass all of the inks I tried above, with the exception of 4001 Turquoise, which seems to match it quite well. The "average" lubrication description I used is only in relation to the other inks in the review.

Is it normal that the turquoise inks feel generally washed out/watery/unlubricated?

This is my first ink review, and I look forward to learning to make them more organized and better later on. I got learning to do!

chojo
February 20th, 2014, 01:03 PM
J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche is still my fave turquoise. Thanks for the review!

I have to agree with this for me at least it is wonderful ink.