PDA

View Full Version : So how about those Parker 51s?

ethernautrix
February 12th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Ariel Kullock Parker 51s, that is.

I bought this one at the Los Angeles Pen Show last year after plistumi showed me hers. If I were going to the LA Pen Show this weekend, I would probably buy another one. Why? Cos they are so cool!

I just realized that I didn't take a photo of the other side of the cap. That's because the dog thought I was playing Stick with her. Stick differs from Fetch in that the game turns into Chase. And she is much faster than I am. And she chews the sticks.

KrazyIvan
February 12th, 2014, 01:40 PM
That one almost convinces me to buy a 51. :D

tandaina
February 12th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I like them. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the 51 nibs. It seems at the time Americans were writing with only fine or medium nibs and I just find the 51 nibs so incredibly boring I can't stand it. So I moved on to the Pelikan P1 which has very interesting nibs and still the convenience of the 51 type design. Now if the folks who mod 51s would mod the old Pelikans... ;)

Laura N
February 12th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Parker 51 is my favorite pen, probably. I have a Ralph Prather 51 that is also really fun. I need to take a picture and post it.

reprieve
February 12th, 2014, 05:38 PM
That's a lovely pen. And a pretty notebook! (What kind of notebook is it?)

I'm a big fan of the Kullock Parker 51 caps. The swirly colorful materials are neat, too, but I really love his metalwork. Mine has a regular teal body (aerometric) with a phoenix on the cap. I could only find one shabby photo, which really doesn't do it justice. It also has a wonderfully stubbish medium nib. Michael Masuyama tuned it up for me in DC last year; it was kind of toothy before, but now it's smoooooth.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3734/8755158466_eb81b10d66_o.jpg

mhosea
February 12th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I like them. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the 51 nibs. It seems at the time Americans were writing with only fine or medium nibs and I just find the 51 nibs so incredibly boring I can't stand it.

If you have the patience for it, you might be able to snag a Parker 51 with a stub nib from Greg Minuskin. It's been awhile since I tried, but he puts stuff like that up at very reasonable prices and then it sells within hours. A Parker 51 Minuskin stub would sell within hours. Snooze ya lose. I should take my own advice and start watching again, but I guess I won't, because if I was going to, I'd be crazy to hit "Post Quick Reply" here. Good luck to you. :)

ethernautrix
February 13th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Oo, pictures please! I would love to see more Kullocks.

I think plistumi is attending the LA Pen Show this weekend. I wonder if she will buy another Kullock. I wonder if Ariel and Michelle will attend the Poland Pen Show in April. (Hahaha, I mean I wish, not I wonder.)

klpeabody
February 13th, 2014, 06:20 AM
I would love to add an Ariel Kullock 51 to my collection. I would also love to see more folks add their photos to this thread. =)

Laura N
February 17th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Here is my Ralph Prather 51.

Laura N
February 17th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Here is a quick shot of a 51 with a hand-hammered silver cap from Rick Krantz

Laura N
February 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM
And here is a closeup of a Parker 51 broad nib, next to the similar Lamy 2000 broad nib. The 51 broad nib is from Ernesto Soler at parker51.com.

Jon Szanto
February 17th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Here is my Ralph Prather 51.

Well, now there is a kind of 51 that could eventually end up in my interests, or something from Kullock. I have not yet, over a number of years, warmed to any of the standard, Parker-issued 51s. Just not my style, as good and iconic of a pen that they are.

ethernautrix
February 17th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Those are beauties, Laura.

Yesterday, I wanted to swap out the nibs between this Parker 51 and what I consider the Pen Posse Parker 51 Special (so considered because Pen Posse as a team rescued the pen which I had, um, broken. Into pieces. The tale is in fpn archives. I doubt I could ever part with this pen.). The PPP51 is a dark teal with an EF steel nib, so now my Kullock P51's cap and black barrel have a dark teal hood/nib section and the Special's filler. Filled with Faber Castell Stone Grey, this P51 Extra Special writes a fabulously thin line that looks like pencil. I know that some might think it odd to enjoy a fountain pen that "writes like a pencil," but it is very cool. Such simple pleasures.

Laura N
February 17th, 2014, 02:17 PM
... I know that some might think it odd to enjoy a fountain pen that "writes like a pencil," but it is very cool. Such simple pleasures.

Yes. I use Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same with my fine nib pens, for exactly that feeling of writing with a liquid pencil.

mhosea
February 17th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Vis-a-vis Kullock's replacement parts, I'm not sure what to think yet. I bought a barrel and hood made by him, but the hood was short by a half millimeter, at least, and both barrel and hood are slightly off-center ever-so-slightly with an OD slightly undersized. I made it work, but I went back to the standard equipment because the Kullock replacements made the clutch ring more pronounced (and annoying) to my hand. I might give it another try...or not. Ironically, there were no threading issues at all (a more common complaint, as I understand it). The Prather looks perfect, though, as it should be for what they cost.

Laura N
February 17th, 2014, 07:26 PM
... The Prather looks perfect, though, as it should be for what they cost.

It is indeed perfect, and Ralph is the type of person who will jump in if there's ever a problem, which there hasn't been.

The cost, yeah, it was a splurge. But it was a bit more than the Edison Pen Company's Menlo with gold nib (which wasn't even offered when I bought this). It was about the same as my standard base-level Nakaya. It was less than a new Montblanc 146 (my favorite MB size). And it feels more special than any of those. So while it's one of my most expensive pens, I feel I've gotten my money's worth. YMMV, of course. And don't tell my husband. :)

pajaro
February 18th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Vis-a-vis Kullock's replacement parts, I'm not sure what to think yet. I bought a barrel and hood made by him, but the hood was short by a half millimeter, at least, and both barrel and hood are slightly off-center ever-so-slightly with an OD slightly undersized. I made it work, but I went back to the standard equipment because the Kullock replacements made the clutch ring more pronounced (and annoying) to my hand. I might give it another try...or not. Ironically, there were no threading issues at all (a more common complaint, as I understand it). The Prather looks perfect, though, as it should be for what they cost.

I think the Kullock parts used to be better, and I used them to replace marred parts on ordinary 51s. I bought one of his hood/barrel sets, a double jewel in pink see-through. The standard aero filler would not fit. Fortunately I had a bruised 51 with the black knob at the end of the filler cut off. That fit perfectly, but in this case he made the barrel too short. The barrel/cap only was $9.99, so I hink you should beware of the low cost ones. They might be seconds.

pajaro
February 18th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Ah, the Ralph Prather pens. Very beautiful pens. Glenn-SC from FPN has some very, very nice ones.

Last time I looked, they start about $700. I might be addicted to pens, but not that addicted. They are beautiful. They seem to be all vac 51s. Lets ne out. I like the standard 51 aero best anyway, and with a Lustraloy cap. For many years that was the only pen in which I had any interest. Then I found MB and broadened.

lisantica
February 18th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Here's a Kullock I picked up at the LA show on Sunday.

ethernautrix
February 19th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Wow, that is a sa-weet! Kullock!

Laura N
February 21st, 2014, 04:29 PM
Ah, the Ralph Prather pens. Very beautiful pens. Glenn-SC from FPN has some very, very nice ones.

Last time I looked, they start about $700. I might be addicted to pens, but not that addicted. They are beautiful. They seem to be all vac 51s. Lets ne out. I like the standard 51 aero best anyway, and with a Lustraloy cap. For many years that was the only pen in which I had any interest. Then I found MB and broadened.

If anyone is interested they should talk to Ralph. That's not what I paid. But I don't really want to get into price, because that's Ralph's business. Also because I feel a certain criticism about the price in one or two of the comments (not by you), which I don't really understand. No one would criticize me if I spent the same money on an aka-tamenuri Nakaya portable writer. To me, the Prather is a special pen and I'm glad I was the lucky one to get it.

Anyway, I too prefer the aero but I think the vacumatic 51 is the more impressive technical design, and I'm glad to have a few, including the Prather. I'm also glad Edison is reviving that filling system and bringing it into the 21st century. I also like my MBs. Great pens, too.

Laura N
February 21st, 2014, 04:30 PM
Here's a Kullock I picked up at the LA show on Sunday.

That's so pretty, Lisa!

david i
February 21st, 2014, 05:31 PM
Stay tuned for, no joke, Paul Rossi 51's.

regards

David

mhosea
February 21st, 2014, 08:40 PM
Also because I feel a certain criticism about the price in one or two of the comments (not by you), which I don't really understand.

I can only guess that my comment might be the "or two" here. It actually bothers me a little that anyone might take it as criticism, or even that such pens were not "worth it". My point was only that price and quality expectations are correlated, not that any cost might be too high. Yeah, sure, I chuckled when I saw the Montegrappa Chaos LE pen, but I'm not proud of it. :)

Laura N
February 22nd, 2014, 12:30 PM
Also because I feel a certain criticism about the price in one or two of the comments (not by you), which I don't really understand.

I can only guess that my comment might be the "or two" here. It actually bothers me a little that anyone might take it as criticism, or even that such pens were not "worth it". My point was only that price and quality expectations are correlated, not that any cost might be too high. Yeah, sure, I chuckled when I saw the Montegrappa Chaos LE pen, but I'm not proud of it. :)

I understand. You've always seemed like a nice guy. I think I responded to your comment earlier. I just find it interesting -- remarkable in the literal sense of the word -- that the only pen that has moved people to comment in recent days about price is the Ralph Prather. I only took the trouble to photograph it and post it so people could see it. You don't see too many of these. I didn't mean to draw criticism -- even if back-handed -- of it. I certainly didn't mention the price. Yes, I've spent less, but I've spent more, and ironically this is one of the pens that I never doubted gave me my money's worth.

But why didn't anyone ask what the Kullocks cost? It does make me feel a little defensive and regretful, I guess. As if I shouldn't have put up these photos. But then there are lots of contemporaneous threads in which people are showing pens (and multiple pens) that cost more than the Prather, and everyone is saying "how nice." As they should. So why does this one draw other comments? It does make me wonder, academically.

Anyway, I'm dealing with a horrible virus and complications that have me in pain and all medicated up, and not my usual self, so I think I probably should just bow out of this thread. It should be about Parker 51s. I could have photographed my Plum 51 -- only $40 -- but honestly I don't like that nearly as much, or use it ever.

The Chaos, which I've seen in person as well as in photographs, is not my thing, but that's a matter of taste, not price. If someone showed me theirs I'd be interested.

ethernautrix
February 22nd, 2014, 05:32 PM
I hope you feel better soon, Laura.

I'm glad you posted the Prather; it's a beauty.

mhosea
February 22nd, 2014, 07:19 PM
The Chaos, which I've seen in person as well as in photographs, is not my thing, but that's a matter of taste, not price. If someone showed me theirs I'd be interested.

Oh, hell, yes. There's a lot of detail to explore, with bling. I think it was the marketing, complete with Sly's smirking countenance, that elicited a chuckle.

http://www.therichtimes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/chao03-550x458.jpg

That, and that the complex profile would make it unpleasant to carry and probably to write with.

FWIW, I'm also glad you posted the picture of the Prather.

Jon Szanto
February 22nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
Laura, if you are still with us, don't give it a second thought. Pen values are ephemeral and subjective things, and no one can say what the true value of the pen is to you but you. I enjoyed seeing the Prather, as I believe all I've ever seen before were metal caps and bodies. My initial thought was "that's a lot of money for a new acrylic body", but I know there is more to it than that. A unique item and, as I mention when I posted, one of the only 51s I'd consider owning. I've yet to see a stock 51 that makes me want to pay money for it, but that's just me.

I hope you feel better soon. I've been on pain meds since Tuesday, but finally today was able to back off to half doses, and it is like a fog lifting. A pleasant fog, mind you, but nonetheless...

Get well soon!

amk
February 23rd, 2014, 07:59 AM
Your P51 meets Lamy2000 reminds me of God and Adam on the Sistine Chapel ceiling...

reprieve
February 23rd, 2014, 08:56 AM
Laura, if you are still with us, don't give it a second thought. Pen values are ephemeral and subjective things, and no one can say what the true value of the pen is to you but you. I enjoyed seeing the Prather. . . .

Very well said, Jon.

I'm also glad that Laura posted her photos. It's a unique pen, and certainly very eye-catching.

LagNut
February 23rd, 2014, 09:56 AM
I'm intrigued seeing all these 51s. I have a few standard versions but never really considered these custom versions.

Turn away now. I need to turn away now...

heraclitus682
March 8th, 2014, 09:48 AM
I will get a Kullock cap one of these days. I bought an aero pen shell of his from ebay and the overall dimensions seem a bit off. The cap doesn't post as deep as a stock 51, it seems a bit more narrow at the clutch ring, and hood tip just seems...off like it's thicker. These aren't deal breakers, the pen works, just me being picky. The caps look awesome though.

pajaro
March 10th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I have one of Minuskin's stub 51 nibs. When the second 51 Vac it was in had sac failure, I put it in a midnight blue aerometric 51. It's a very nice nib with plenty of tipping on top so I can turn it over and get more line variation. You are right, mhosea, these are worth some trouble to get one.

-----------------

The Kullock parts are variable, and I have found that the lower priced ones seem like seconds. Still, I like them. I like his Kama Sutra cap, the apple green 51 I have with a gold filled hammered cap, the amethyst double jewel aero, the swirly yellow fountain and ballpoint and the occasional spare cap or hood I have bought from him.

mhosea
March 10th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I ponied up some more dough and bought another Kullock replacement barrel and hood (blue centennial), this one at a higher price point. It fits better. The barrel was closer to optimal, and the hood was long enough...barely. Actually I would still say the OD of the hood is slightly small at the clutch ring, and it really could stand to be a tenth or two of a millimeter longer, which required me to do some extra work. I do like the look of it, though, and this set reaches my "good enough" threshold. Right now instead of the heavily brassed gold-filled 51 cap that came with the pen, I have a Parker VS cap on it. I like that a lot, as I have never liked the look of the arrow clips. I wish I could say that I liked Parker 51's very much. I don't. But this one can be my lone '51. It can stay.

heraclitus682
March 11th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Does anyone know where to buy Kullock caps? He only sells them with a pen on ebay and I can't make a pen show.

david i
March 12th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know where to buy Kullock caps? He only sells them with a pen on ebay and I can't make a pen show.

I have a couple at home.

regards

david

Titivillus
March 12th, 2014, 03:31 PM
love the 51s with interesting materials.

heraclitus682
March 13th, 2014, 05:37 AM

I have a couple at home.

regards

david

Are they for sale?

david i
March 14th, 2014, 10:50 AM
They will be, when I find 'em.

One is Batman (really!)

The other iirc an image from an artist whose name escapes me (very flowing/organic design).

I sold the Star Wars a few years back

http://vacumania.com/websitesalespics/pen2840sm.jpg

regards

d

Titivillus
March 14th, 2014, 11:07 AM
David, If it art nouveau please post a pic.

david i
March 14th, 2014, 11:18 AM
David, If it art nouveau please post a pic.

I have to find 'em first. Maybe next week...

-d

david i
March 14th, 2014, 11:19 AM
BTW, have I mentioned-- no joke-- the Paul Rossi 51's?

-d

vikramguliya
June 13th, 2014, 01:32 AM
I would really love to own one like this ...if u don't mind, how much did it cost you?

da vinci
June 13th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I am sorry I don't have a Kullock, so how about a (rather poorly photographed) Rossi?

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/file_zpsa02ee05e.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/996nick2009/media/Fountain%20Pens/file_zpsa02ee05e.jpg.html)