PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from wintry Michigan.

Randomthinks
February 13th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Hello! Greetings from what feels like the tundra!

I've recently reintroduced fountain pen writing and collecting into my life. I've always been an pen/paper/notebook geek, but decided to retry using FP's.

I am a lefty, so the memories of having a hand covered with ink kept me away. I now write under the line, and have had little problems so far.

I have a handful of inexpensive pens, and with a thoughtful GC from my wife from Goulet, I am heading into ink mixing territory. This stuff is in my DNA: I am a chemist by education and a tinkerer by inclination and upbringing, so I see myself mixing inks to find the exact colors I want, and learning to repair pens.

So... thanks for being a place where a n00b can learn and find a tribe of like minded folks.

Keith

writingrav
February 13th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

Jeph
February 13th, 2014, 07:04 AM
:welcome:

00Photo
February 13th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I'd wave hello but I've got so many layers on I can't move my arms.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BXbj77g0oeU/UnGRnjidRHI/AAAAAAAAG2o/07df4ODSYbQ/s1600/Randy-Snow-Suit-A-Christmas-Story-2.jpg

cwent2
February 13th, 2014, 08:04 AM
:welcome:Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

85AKbN
February 13th, 2014, 08:50 AM

VertOlive
February 13th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Keith--Welcome from another chemist buried under the Michigan drifts!

Careful with the ink mixing--watch for precipitates as much as a day or so later that can junk up your pen....

imaginerhetoric
February 13th, 2014, 04:22 PM

inlovewithjournals
February 13th, 2014, 04:32 PM
:welcome: Greetings from wintry Canada! We should compare snowdrifts and windchills. :smow:

Randomthinks
February 13th, 2014, 06:46 PM

Careful with the ink mixing--watch for precipitates as much as a day or so later that can junk up your pen....

Thanks for the heads up. It will be fun to see. I am an analytical chemist, I may have to start analyzing them to see what is going on. I can always filter, no?

TerraNoir
February 13th, 2014, 07:21 PM
:welcome: From another wintery neighbor!!

jfsisler
February 13th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Welcome from a resident of the snowy tundra of western MA.

VertOlive
February 13th, 2014, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up. It will be fun to see. I am an analytical chemist, I may have to start analyzing them to see what is going on. I can always filter, no?

Buchner, paper, millipore, columns, whatever but you may lose some to the process. Have fun!

Jon Szanto
February 18th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Hi Keith,

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people.

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon

Toulouse
February 23rd, 2014, 07:21 AM
Welcome from another Michigander. Even though I worked as a Chemical Hygiene Officer for over 40 years, it just dawned on me that I never bothered to check the MSDSs for any of my inks.