PDA

View Full Version : A free tool from Starbucks for applying silicone grease

DET
May 6th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I discovered a while back that the green plastic cup lid stoppers they have at Starbucks are really good for applying that little dab of silicone grease down the barrel of a Pelikan or other piston-filling fountain pen with a removable nib. (Their intended purpose is to stop coffee from spurting out of the hole in the lid during transport; they're usually in a cup on the counter where you pick up your drink.) They are just about the perfect length and flexibility for applying the silicone, are soft and rounded enough that they are unlikely to damage your pen if you're relatively gentle, are reusable, and are free. Just thought this might be helpful to some of you.

writingrav
May 7th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Totally cool!

KrazyIvan
May 7th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I have only been to Starbucks about three times in my life and cannot for the life of me remember what they look like. :redface:

etoyoc
May 7th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't call them free. I would feel obligated to buy the coffee... But for those of you that enjoy Starbucks - there you go.

However, I like the way you found another use for a disposable object and was able to re-purpose it to fill an actual need.

DET
May 7th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't call them free. I would feel obligated to buy the coffee... But for those of you that enjoy Starbucks - there you go.

However, I like the way you found another use for a disposable object and was able to re-purpose it to fill an actual need.

Well, I guess I was assuming that if you're at Starbucks, you're probably buying something anyhow. But even if you walked into a Starbucks just to get one of these things, I doubt anyone would care. If they cost Starbucks even a penny each to manufacture, I'd be surprised. Not that I'd advise anyone to do this, of course. ;)

Chi Town
May 10th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Another thing that Starbucks has for Fountain Pen repairs is their wooden stirer's. Good for mixing epoxy or working with MEK, but when working with MEK, break off or slice the end of the wooden so that it almost comes to a point. That way the MEK can just drip off and you can manage it more effectively.

Maja
May 11th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I have only been to Starbucks about three times in my life and cannot for the life of me remember what they look like. :redface:

It's this thing: http://www.danderma.co/?p=10510

KrazyIvan
May 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM
It's this thing: http://www.danderma.co/?p=10510

Thanks Maja. Ahh, okay. All this time I thought they were just coffee stir things. Did not know you could cap the cup lid with them.

Rich L
May 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM
What will they think of next? I'll have to go buy coffee to check one out. As far as wooden stirrers go and MEK - I just lick the end of the applicator. They used to call me a mad hatter in my earlier days. What??

Cheers,
Rich

goldiesdad
May 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Never thought of that one ... just got my grease yesterday ... great timing