PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Kuwait ^_^

Kikan
February 14th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Hello, my name is Kikan ^.^''

Long time lurker in fountain pen forums, but first time poster.

I guess I should... uhmm.. start by telling you a little bit about myself ^ .^

I live in a small country in the Arabian Gulf by the name of Kuwait. It's very hot and sunny for most of the year it could get as hot as 50-55 degrees Celsius X.x... I work in education... I know I know not the most exciting job out there... but I love it ^_^

I have a couple of hobbies... I like cycling to random places for fun.. and often times I find myself locked up in my room reading...and shortly afterwords followed by a session of frenzy writing with my pens.. it's calm some times.. in fact very calm during the night... that I can almost hear myself think.. which would be the perfect time for a nice hot cup of tea ^-^...

I don't have a huge fountain pen collection... yet xD hopefully that won't change... too much xD

I started my fountain pen...uhh... let's call it a *hobby* when I first started in college... my handwriting was.. so terrible I couldn't even read it myself xD... so a few months later.. I decided I wanted to improve my handwriting as best as I can... so like any new goal or hobby that someone may choose to pursue I did what everyone might find to be a familiar sight..

I walked into a stationary store... looked at notebooks and couple of pilot gel pens and liquid ink pens... I got some paper and pens to start on my goal of improving my penmanship.. *That was the I need to get the supplies to start my new hobby chapter ^__^*

I looked at videos on YouTube to learn from other people...and got an e-book by the name of... I think it was called *The Palmer Method* which included drill exercises and techniques about how to write and hold the pen in the proper way.. everything was going so well I was happy.. but I often wondered about all these fountain pens that were illustrated in the book.. and thought.. is it... worth it ?

I kept that thought in my mind and kept on writing.. for many many months and I was always happy when I saw even the slightest sight of improvement ^_^.

In fact I felt so happy that I didn't want to let the pen down from my hand... I started copying books and writing notes as a method for improving my hand writing... and ironically my grades improved far more than my penmanship xD.. I can't complain there... ^ .^

But eventually... I walked into a new stationary store by the name of Office Depot.. and maybe you have seen this sometimes in these kinds of stores they have a glass display of what I call... *fancy pens or expensive pens* and I always gloss over them while I buy more notebooks to write on.. and I kept wondering... are they... worth it...

And that was the day that I came back home.. with a fountain pen ^_^... it was a Parker Frontier which used cartridges.. had a greenish / purplish kind of color to it which I loved very much..

And This was the beginning of it all <3

Thank you for reading...

cwent2
February 14th, 2014, 07:31 PM
:welcome:to the forum and the obsess.... er that's right, we'll call it a Hobby!

85AKbN
February 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM
:welcome:

Tony Rex
February 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM
:welcome: :wave:

Mags
February 14th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Greetings and thanks for sharing the story which kicked off the hobby for you.

VertOlive
February 14th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Welcome! I'm glad you tried your pen and found it's worth it!

Jeph
February 15th, 2014, 12:37 AM
:welcome:

jfsisler
February 15th, 2014, 05:16 AM
Awesome photo and story! Welcome!

writingrav
February 15th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

caribbean_skye
February 15th, 2014, 06:40 AM
welcome, thanks for sharing your story. How is the handwriting looking these days?

TerraNoir
February 15th, 2014, 08:43 AM
:welcome: Lovely pen!! And welcome to the hobby!! Are there anymore pens in your future?

welch
February 15th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Welcome! Incidentally, I learned to write using the palmer method about 60 years ago. That was the standard in US schools. Great looking pen. I love seeing a dab of ink on the nib...shows the pen has been doing its job!

Jon Szanto
February 18th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Hi Kikan,

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people.

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon