PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Pen Show Feb 2014. Booty Shots.

david i
February 15th, 2014, 02:47 AM
That's the way to do it!

Buying pens the Davey way...

30 minutes. Single Purchase. 58 pens. Mosaic Duofold gone already to new home. Close out a collection in one easy step.

http://www.vacumania.com/penteech2/LosAngeles_penshow2014A1250.jpg

Upper Left

*PFM's incluing mint cellophaned, coujple PFM IV's, Broad Stub Nib PFM I set.
*Couple Lambrou CP4 Sterling Legacies and a non-CP4 Sterling Legacy
* 3 Modern Duofolds. Black/pearl Flattops and Blue Mosaic
*Couple lined Sterling Targas including on with broad stub nib

Lower Left:

* 5 Sheaffer Targas
* 5 1970's Sheaffer metal Imperials (Sterling and gold-filled)
* Parker 21 Deluxe set

Center Top

* Wahl Executive Skyline in brown (first I've owned)
*Wahl Skyline with two tone nib
*Wahl Greg Writing School Rosewood Rubber
*Wahl Moire Green high flex nib

Center Bottom

* Parker Duofold Senior 1930 Seafoam Green with Broad Stub Nib. Superb condition pen
*Parker Vacumatic Senior Maxima Golden Pearl
*Parker 1.5th Generation Vacumatic "Long Standard" (Off Catalogue)
*Parker Deluxe Challenger Green Plaque-on-black celluloid

Upper RIght

'*Chrome Metal Imperial. Bunch of Levenger/Sheaffer Connaisseur and lower line pens, X-mas Imperiasl

Lower Right

*Cadmium Yellow Imperial
*Bunch of early Laque Sheaffer Legacies
*Sheaffer Grand Connaisseur chased black
*Namiki Sterling ?Asian? Series?
*Sheaffer Grand Connaisser fluted gold-plated
*Pelikan gold filled modern Toledo M730

ethernautrix
February 15th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Your method mocks my one-at-a-time method.

Looks like you bought more pens at once than I have currently, hahaha. But, ah, where are the Nakayas?

david i
February 15th, 2014, 03:19 AM
Not sure what a Nakaya is, but it sounds nice.

No, this hoard was mostly USA-made. Fun pens though, a quite nice mix of old and new-ish.

regards

-d

da vinci
February 15th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Wow what a great haul! I do like a sterling silver Sheaffer :)

plistumi
February 15th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Your method mocks my one-at-a-time method.

Looks like you bought more pens at once than I have currently, hahaha. But, ah, where are the Nakayas?

Ummm, here's one.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1392486816__1392486603416.jpg

Hahaha. David's methods are fascinating to say the least. the collection looks much better in person.

Jeph
February 16th, 2014, 04:32 AM
So that was David's impulse buy. I am still waiting to see the pictures of the stuff he was hunting for!

ethernautrix
February 16th, 2014, 05:42 AM
That is a beauty, plistumi!

As for David's acquisition, I have the converter "collection" to match. I suppose all these converters are a testament to the number of Sheaffers I used to own. Funny, now none of the Sheaffers I have is c/c.

Jon Szanto
February 16th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Hehehe... I think it is kinda funny that Dr. I's posts ended up being hit by a spam-bot!

Great haul, David, as usual. Will wait for your full accounting on FPB, if nowhere else. I'm sure you found some great pens, hope you sold a few as well. I almost laughed up my coffee when you saw me with my meager pen case open and asked if I was selling! :) Good seeing you, as always.

lsmith42
February 16th, 2014, 08:53 PM
You people need to comprehend the concept of booty shots... All I see is pens...

Jerome Tarshis
February 16th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Yes. I am with Loren on this. When I read the phrase "booty shots" I am not expecting to see pictures of pens. And, as between two kinds of eye candy, I prefer what I had in mind.

VertOlive
February 16th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Love that seafoam green Parker!

Oh. I think my heart stopped when the Nakaya rolled by...

Farmboy
February 16th, 2014, 09:31 PM
You people need to comprehend the concept of booty shots... All I see is pens...

Yes. I am with Loren on this. When I read the phrase "booty shots" I am not expecting to see pictures of pens. And, as between two kinds of eye candy, I prefer what I had in mind.

Gentlemen,

I believe those pictures can be found on FPN.

Sandy Fry
February 17th, 2014, 12:47 AM
I was a little disappointed this year. Maybe a little knowledge is dangerous. Last year was fun as it was my first show. Now, armed with a little knowledge, I thought some of the pen prices were outrageous!
I went looking to buy 2 pens but only got one...Delta Dolce Vita piston filler. More than happy with it and got it for a good price. I was also looking for a Visconti Opera crystal but the only vendor who had one wanted $450 for his " test pen " which had been filled and used several times ( and probably not just at the LA Show by the looks of the caked hard ink inside ) but said he could order me a brand new one for....wait for it.....$450! So, he wanted me to pay $450 for a well used one that he could get for me new at the same price! Craaaazzzeeeeeee!!!!! Needless to say, I did not order from him.
I was tempted by the Visconti Divina Desert Springs but I really want the Opera Crystal and was proud of myself for resisting the temptation.
Was it just me or was the show much quieter this year??? Did not seem as busy as last year to me or maybe it was just because last year was my first show and I was a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of pens?
All in all...happy with the Dolce Vita ( actually set out to buy the oversize but I have enough c/c fillers so went with the medium sized piston filler ) and disappointed in not getting an Opera Crystal.
@ David i...wish I had the funds to buy that many pens at once....nice set you got there!

David

Jon Szanto
February 17th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Sandy, when you talk about pen prices, are you mainly focusing on new(er) pens, or vintage, or all? I tend to not shop for new pens there, as it is not only not my focus, but unless I *need* to try one, I'm figuring there is no way to get a better price than online.

*My* reason for going to these shows is to see things I can't see anywhere else, and that is primarily pens that are no longer in production, vintage and recent. When I'm looking at used - as they all are, save for NOS - I relish the opportunity to really examine it, and not just look at pictures of them. In this light, a pen show is irreplaceable.

My take was a bit weird: I only realized, in hindsight, that I hadn't actually attended on Thursday before. I did this year, and when we walked in just after lunch, I almost freaked - what happened? There were only about half the tables occupied, and I thought 50% of the show had gotten stuck in the snow and ice! But that was just the slowest of the trading days, and by Friday the room was full, just as in years past. Lot of good pen and parts hunting, even better conversations, a good event for me. I do note, maybe like yourself, that with a different focus comes a loss of some of that "overwhelming" nature of a first show (this was my third). I actually enjoyed it more because of that.

AltecGreen
February 17th, 2014, 01:39 AM
My take was a bit weird: I only realized, in hindsight, that I hadn't actually attended on Thursday before. I did this year, and when we walked in just after lunch, I almost freaked - what happened? There were only about half the tables occupied, and I thought 50% of the show had gotten stuck in the snow and ice! But that was just the slowest of the trading days, and by Friday the room was full, just as in years past. Lot of good pen and parts hunting, even better conversations, a good event for me. I do note, maybe like yourself, that with a different focus comes a loss of some of that "overwhelming" nature of a first show (this was my third). I actually enjoyed it more because of that.

Thursday always play out the same. It is usually 1/3-1/2 full with a pick up towards the end of the day. Jon, you left too early on Thursday. By 4-4:30, things were a bit more lively. We did lose a few of the regulars from back east like Paul Erano.

Excluding Sunday which has a different bent, Thursday saw more business than Friday or Saturday. I spoke to a lot of dealers and they all said Thursday was their best day. It is true that many people had not arrived or set-up on Thursday but the big money changed hands on Thursday including several large collections. I did 75% of my business on Thursday and that is unusual. In fact, I could have finished all of my pen buying business on Thursday. It was that good.

Saturday last year was a ghost town but there was more traffic this year. Sunday was still pretty busier than in many years past but probably saw a bit less of a crush than last year. This is a good thing for the dealers since they had problems keeping up last year. The distribution of traffic was better this year since it was not all concentrated on Sunday.

As for Sandy Fry, modern pens can be hit or miss in LA. LA is more vintage focused. For modern pens except Japanese pens, try the DC show or one of the other medium sized East Coast show. Many of those shows have more of a focus on current production pens. I don't really feel that pens shows are the best for modern pens in terms of prices. Often, the prices are higher than buying online. This is especially true for current production pens. However, Pen shows are great for hunting down out of production moderns or used modern pens but then prices are then determined by the laws of supply and demand. Pens shows are good for pens like a Nakaya which has fixed pricing and the ability to get the pen tuned in person.

I'll discuss more of my impression when I post my LA report tomorrow. I just finished processing the 700+ photos.

Jon Szanto
February 17th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Thursday always play out the same. It is usually 1/3-1/2 full with a pick up towards the end of the day. Jon, you left too early on Thursday. By 4-4:30, things were a bit more lively. We did lose a few of the regulars from back east like Paul Erano.

It is true that many people had not arrived or set-up on Thursday but the big money changed hands on Thursday including several large collections. I did 75% of my business on Thursday and that is unusual. In fact, I could have finished all of my pen buying business on Thursday. It was that good.

Yeah, I sort-of knew that about Thurs, but forgot that I hadn't experienced it. Try to remember (or correct me if I'm wrong) that those "big money / large collection" things are mainly involving just a few people who are already in the know, a different kind of beast than browsing through the room. At least to me, I have felt the Thurs activity is for those who are already big players in the collection game, and I'm certainly not part of that.

We'll see what next year brings. :)

BTW, that totally pisses me off that Paul was there and was gone by the end of Thurs! He was one guy I wanted to hang with, but we had obligations. I'll have to write him, I really find him to be a real inspiration.

david i
February 17th, 2014, 11:34 AM
So that was David's impulse buy. I am still waiting to see the pictures of the stuff he was hunting for!

How did Lt Uhura say it... "be careful what you wish for"?.... ;)

-d

tandaina
February 17th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Sandy, when you talk about pen prices, are you mainly focusing on new(er) pens, or vintage, or all? I tend to not shop for new pens there, as it is not only not my focus, but unless I *need* to try one, I'm figuring there is no way to get a better price than online.

*My* reason for going to these shows is to see things I can't see anywhere else, and that is primarily pens that are no longer in production, vintage and recent. When I'm looking at used - as they all are, save for NOS - I relish the opportunity to really examine it, and not just look at pictures of them. In this light, a pen show is irreplaceable.

I buy vintage pens, and was really surprised by the prices I saw at the pen show I attended, I found them very, very high for the most part. Especially for Montblanc and Pelikan pens. Some of the smaller vendors had some good prices on more obscure brands, but I was pretty put off by the prices.

Jon Szanto
February 17th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I buy vintage pens, and was really surprised by the prices I saw at the pen show I attended, I found them very, very high for the most part. Especially for Montblanc and Pelikan pens. Some of the smaller vendors had some good prices on more obscure brands, but I was pretty put off by the prices.

Just out of curiosity, compared to what? I'm still fairly new at the pen show game and have only attended the one held in LA, but I would imagine prices, just as they do online, fluctuate up and down according to the current market. Many vendors are open to negotiation as well, and with the large supply, it is usually a good way to look for a vintage pen.

But certainly not the only way!

As a side issue, I was looking for a fairly obscure pen, of which I found precisely none at the show. Meanwhile, I had a snipe on one of the few I had seen on eBay. It went for waaaay more than I anticipated (or wanted to spend). The hunt continues...

AltecGreen
February 17th, 2014, 12:31 PM

The trick of course is that buying at a pen show is not like buying from an online store with a buy it now price. You have to haggle with some vendors and the trick is to figure out how much they have into a pen. Some dealers will always start high because they can (rarity, condition, reputation, etc.). Hunting is part of a pen show. There are bargains to be had everywhere. This is where building a relationship helps. The price I paid for a few pens were much less than if someone had asked because I have done a lot of business with the seller. Then there is patience. I have at least one pen where I outlasted the seller. He had a high price so I did not buy the pen the first two years. The third year he relented and sold it for much less because it had not moved in three years.

Another point is that many of the desirable vintage pens are sold by collectors to collectors. The pens tend to be much cleaner and in better condition than random eBay pens or pens found in the wild. Thus the pricing reflects that fact.

A final point concerns vintage European and Japanese pens. These were never really sold in the US when the pens were new. They had to have been brought into the country at some point. It is extremely rare to find such vintage pens in the wild in the US. People who go to Europe to buy vintage European or Japanese pens and bring them here for sale can command a higher price. I collect vintage Italian and Japanese pens and you see a premium on these pens because of both general scarcity and the fact the supply is limited in the US. I could travel to Italy to buy and pay a lower cost but you then have to factor in the cost of travel and other expenses.

tandaina
February 17th, 2014, 12:56 PM
I found the prices higher than I see say on even Rick's site (which I wouldn't call bargain pricing, you pay for Rick's expertise and it is worth it.) Perhaps haggling was expected and built in to the prices listed, but I didn't find vendors attitudes inclined toward haggling. (Mostly they'd just wave their hand toward the price tag, some even discouraged touching the pens which I found off putting.)

Granted, I'm not a big collector, I'm not well known in the pen world and likely never will be. I own perhaps 40 pens, and while some will go and some will come I'm never going to be like David here! But I'm not uneducated, I spend a lot of time watching various auction and collecting sites, reputable collectors here and on FPN, European auctions (since I lean toward German pens) and one particular pen I was interested in (which isn't rare, just not a dime a dozen) I found at the show marked $400. I'd seen it reliably online (not just on eBay as a beater) for $200 or there-abouts. When I acted surprised the vendor offered a payment plan. (really.)

I'm an introvert and a small unassuming gal without big money to throw around. That likely has an impact. I LOVED getting to sit down with Pendleton at the show and talk pens and church and get a nib ground. I loved the one vendor with just 20 or so flex pens (all inked) who encouraged sitting and playing with the pens as long as you wanted before buying (or not). But once into the bigger vendors... I guess I didn't have the right attitude (I also hate haggling, hate it with a passion. I love TRADING, but no one was interested in trading, everyone wanted money and I am just an awful haggler.)

I'd love, love, love to find a real pen swap sometime. Putting together a three way trade, and that sort of thing, that's fun! When real money gets involved the fun goes out, likely cause I just don't have wads of it! ;)

AltecGreen
February 17th, 2014, 01:49 PM
What show did you go to?

Sounds like did not have the experience most of us have had. This year we had many new Pen Posse members who went and they all had a blast and found good bargains. All of them are new to pen collecting and didn't have a lot of money. In LA, except for a small handful of dealers, all of them will haggle and let you touch the pens, even the big ticket pens. One of things we do is to educate these new members before going to the show and we help them at the show. I can usually find a pen at the right price if they ask me for help.

If you want a less intimidating experience, try going to the Portland one day event this summer. It's a one day event that's much more relaxed. Otherwise, come to the LA show or the SF show and we'll make sure you have a better experience.

david i
February 17th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Verily, I had not intended to trigger the classic (but always worthwhile) "Pen Show Dynamics" conversation with my booty shot, but... all the better. Pen Booty will do that. We've had a few booty chats at FPB over the years, though not the sort of booty referenced by Todd ;)

I shared a red-eye from LAX to Florida with long time pen bud Mike Dvoretz. Visiting family a few days. No light tent. But, I should be able to get decent shots of the majority of recent pen acquisitions, the folder full of pens in that first image being a minority of pen finds this week. And, yes, the few pens that will go to my collection (one of a kind Parker Vacumatic prototypes, for example) are worth a focused peek. I did killer buying at the show. The MB Boheme and a couple of the (no joke) five Parker modern Duofold Black/Pearl, and several of the fresh flex pen buys (think Parker Vacumatic Senior Maxima with noodle nib, a real rarity), didn't last even a few hours in my possession before finding new homes at the show.

As to how pens trade at pen shows, and as to whether/how that hoard in my first shot had anything to do with my being "connected" in the hobby-- it didn't, and I'm not so connected anyway regarding modern pens-- that will be I hope an engaging chat. After dinner and movie in Boca, I'll address some of those points.

regards

david

pengeezer
February 17th, 2014, 07:33 PM
David,you seemed to have gained an admirer............Bessie seems to be following you
around. :)

John

david i
February 17th, 2014, 07:54 PM
David,you seemed to have gained an admirer............Bessie seems to be following you
around. :)

John

S'okay. Used to it... ;)

-d

Sandy Fry
February 17th, 2014, 11:27 PM

I agree with you completely. I thought the prices overall for most things were extremely high. I love vintage pens and have an affinity for Parkers and Sheaffers ( I am still new to collecting but have 3 Parker 51's, a couple of 21's and 4 or is it 5 45's and 3 or 4 Sheaffer Snorkels, a couple of touchdown fillers and a few c/c fillers ) but I found the prices for the aforementioned pens were extremely high. I would expect mint condition for those prices.

@Jon...yeah, I do most of my buying online. Definitely find pens cheaper that way. I know folks are there to make money but you would think they would not try to gouge fellow pen enthusiasts. That was what disappointed me the most. The vendors were very warm and friendly but most would not budge on their prices even for cash. Some offered a reduction of a few dollars but not enough to make it enough of a good deal for me.

I am still looking forward to the next show though. It has a great atmosphere and maybe next year I will try to attend more than just the Sunday.

David

Jon Szanto
February 17th, 2014, 11:36 PM
It has a great atmosphere and maybe next year I will try to attend more than just the Sunday.

That explains a lot, too, David. Sunday vs. the other days is almost like two different shows. In fact, I went down to the floor at 8:00 on Sunday and only stayed about 1/2 hour after they opened the doors (10:30). Many of the vintage people don't display on Sunday, and the ones that do may have been there for a more captive crowd. The other *very* important difference is that on all the other days, you have a lot more face time with the people, can do a lot of discussing and learning, and more than likely, better deals. The price difference in the two admission fees is the very best money I've spent every year. If you take a look at the Pen Show wrap-up thread, you can see how less crowded it is on the other days.

Well, anyway, I'd just like you, and everyone else, to have a good show experience. This one has caused me to consider traveling to more shows (rather than drive two hours from home!) - way addicting!

ChrisC
February 17th, 2014, 11:43 PM
How are the prices on modern pens? I've had my eye on various modern, pre-owned Visconti pens.

Sandy Fry
February 17th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Altec...I am not disputing you but I found that most dealers were NOT willing to haggle, or at least not budge much on the price. Possibly they knew I was a newbie and not a seasoned collector? I went looking for a Delta Dolce Vita piston filler ( got it at a price I was happy with ) and a Visconti Opera Crystal. Only one vendor had the Opera Crystal and it was his demonstration pen which had been used a bunch of times ( caked hard ink in the reservoir ) and he offered it to me for $450 but then said he could get me a brand new one at the same price. Huh? You want me to buy a used pen for the same price as a new one? He would not budge from that price for the used one and I was not parting with the money for a new one from him as it seemed a little shady to me.

I was not disappointed with the show per say but with the overall prices. My Parker vacuumatic is in better condition than a few of the ones I was looking at and they were nearly 3 times the price!

I would be interested in your offer, if you are at the L.A. show next year, to help a newbie score a better bargain.

David

ChrisC
February 17th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Did you see any other Visconti pens there? And yes, I agree, $450 is steep for a used Crystal, especially one that's been lightly abused.

AltecGreen
February 18th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Altec...I am not disputing you but I found that most dealers were NOT willing to haggle, or at least not budge much on the price. Possibly they knew I was a newbie and not a seasoned collector? I went looking for a Delta Dolce Vita piston filler ( got it at a price I was happy with ) and a Visconti Opera Crystal. Only one vendor had the Opera Crystal and it was his demonstration pen which had been used a bunch of times ( caked hard ink in the reservoir ) and he offered it to me for $450 but then said he could get me a brand new one at the same price. Huh? You want me to buy a used pen for the same price as a new one? He would not budge from that price for the used one and I was not parting with the money for a new one from him as it seemed a little shady to me.

I was not disappointed with the show per say but with the overall prices. My Parker vacuumatic is in better condition than a few of the ones I was looking at and they were nearly 3 times the price!

I would be interested in your offer, if you are at the L.A. show next year, to help a newbie score a better bargain.

David

I think I understand your situation better know. The operative word is Sunday.

You are not the first person to voice these complaints about the LA show. The common denominator is Sunday. It is unfortunate but some of the vendors prey upon the attendees Sunday. In the past, I have heard complaints about the price of a pen going up between Saturday and Sunday. Also, I've heard that some dealers price their pens higher than their online prices. It is unfortunate that it soured your pen show experience.

My offer stands. Just find me at the show. The best advice is to not come on Sunday but rather the trader days.

AltecGreen
February 18th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Did you see any other Visconti pens there? And yes, I agree, $450 is steep for a used Crystal, especially one that's been lightly abused.

There were Visconti pens but it was limited to what was brought with each dealer. You don't have much choice for new Visconti pens at LA. I didn't see a very wide selection of Visconti pens other than the latest LEs and a few Operas. Visconti has shifted much of their focus towards watches and jewelery. They also seem to no longer attend pen shows. Long Story.

Delta and Stipula are a different story. Yafa, the distributor, was the show sponsor and had a huge presence at the show. They brought a lot of inventory to re-stock their dealers at the show.

ethernautrix
February 18th, 2014, 03:04 AM

David

I think I understand your situation better know. The operative word is Sunday.

You are not the first person to voice these complaints about the LA show. The common denominator is Sunday. It is unfortunate but some of the vendors prey upon the attendees Sunday. In the past, I have heard complaints about the price of a pen going up between Saturday and Sunday. Also, I've heard that some dealers price their pens higher than their online prices. It is unfortunate that it soured your pen show experience.

My offer stands. Just find me at the show. The best advice is to not come on Sunday but rather the trader days.

Ricky the Pen Show Sherpa! You're the best!

I think that the trader days vendors are more flexible, because everyone is a pen enthusiast even if one is new (an unfamiliar face to the vendors).

david i
February 18th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Just to keep things interesting, I note that some of my best buys from other tables have happened on Sunday. Correlation does not always indicate causation. Too, many of the dynamics cited above involve more than one variable.

regards

david

pengeezer
February 18th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Perhaps the vendors should remember that newbies don't necessarily NEED their pens--rather
a nice price introducing them to the hobby might make them willing to learn more about
the hobby.

John

david i
February 18th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Perhaps the vendors should remember that newbies don't necessarily NEED their pens--rather
a nice price introducing them to the hobby might make them willing to learn more about
the hobby.

John

Not really relevant.

Supply/Demand in microeconomics is a broader process than whether a given vender needs a particular purchase from a given buyer... i mean whether a given buyer needs the pen of a given seller... I mean...

regards

david

Farmboy
February 18th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Do note that when buying entire portfolios of pens it is easier to haggle. Thus my (and others) usual buying tactic. In other words, I would buy an entire tray of 51s just to get the one pen that I really wanted, simply because there was more opportunity for negotiation.

I should add that according to some, I am hoarding certain pen models and parts, thus my experiences may not apply.

Jon Szanto
February 18th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I should add that according to some, I am hoarding certain pen models and parts, thus my experiences may not apply.

I think you are hoarding Ziplock baggies.

Sandy Fry
February 18th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I will definitely try to attend other days next year. Getting the time off is the hard part...especially weekends. Luckily I had Saturday and Sunday off but I work nights and had a double shift Friday so slept until 3pm Saturday.

As I said, not so much disappointed in the show but in some of the outrageous prices. I do not have the funds to be a serious collector as such but I had about $1000 saved for my 50th birthday ( 2 weeks ago ) and thought I would treat myself to a couple of more expensive pens than I am used to buying but most of the pens I liked I could get much cheaper online.

@Altec...will definitely try to find you next year even if it is just to try and gain a little knowledge from you.

@Chris C...did not see many Visconti's other than a bunch of ballpoints and the Crystal I wanted was obviously well used. The vendor said he was an authorized Visconti dealer and could get me a new Crystal at the same price as the used one. Thought that was a bit fishy and declined his offer.

Thanks guys/gals.

David

david i
February 22nd, 2014, 07:50 PM

And awwwaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaay we go...

In the first image at start of thread we saw an on-the-fly shot of a collection I bought there in one fell swoop, along with a couple overflow pens. A few had already gone to new homes.

Here are pens I bought as individual clusters during the show. Some nice stuff here, some fairly advanced, targeting my usual 1920's-1940's USA focus. I'll offer some clues and descriptions. Feel free to ask questions and to make observations.
s

http://www.vacumania.com/penteech2/LosAngeles_penshow2014B1400.jpg

Victor Telescoping pen
Wahl-Eversharp late 1920's-or-so Rosewood HR Flat Top made for the Gregg Writing School. Besides the plaque on top do you see the tell?
Wahl-Eversharp 1940's made for Gregg Writing School. Besides the plaque on top do you see the tell?
A near modern pen and a rare addition to my collection (i keep few modern pens), Stipula Etruria OS 991 10th anniversary edition, complete with original box, etc
Moore "A"series probably early 1940's, small 70-A. Killer plastic not well shown in image.
Sheaffer 1940's all gold-filled pen, 1920's. Noodle Flex nib
Sheaffer 1920's Coral (pure orange in this case, not the generally recognized vintage "Coral") flat-top, off catalogue d/t bandless cap and chrome trim. Rare pen.
Sheaffer Balance Deluxe Premier, off-catalogue (lined wide cap-band) oversized set in striated Marine Green celluloid. Near Mint pen
Sheaffer PFM II (Pen For Men II), the fat Snorkel-pen from ~ 1960. Green. Nearmint
Sheaffer Balance Admiral in striated Gray Pearl with particularly clean cap trim
Sheaffer Balance Canadian with quite scarce canadian-only cli. In fact, I first observed this clip after writing my PENnant article (you should subscribe to PENnant) about Canadian Sheaffer Balance. Must give Paul a short addendum one of these days.
Sheaffer Balance oversized (Premier) in jet black.
Sheaffer Balance Admiral (standard girth long pen, non-WHite Dot) with Cadillac logo
Standard size Wahl-Eversharp Skyline, slightly better model with striped celluloid cap
Wahl-Eversharp Skyline, oversized set-- the Executive Skyline--. I own two other colors. In ten years hunting I saw my first brown Executive at the LA Pen Show. Then managed to find another an hour later. Yeah, baby...
Wahl-Evesharp Skyline in Modern Stripe ("Moire") celluloid. Originally a lower-price model, these are very popular today. This one is clean with nice flexy nib.
Wahl-Eversharp Skyline all gold-filled in a better pattern, chevron.
Modern-ish Sheaffer Legacy all brushed-gold filled. Thrown in to a big buy for $10 (heck, the gold nib assembly likely is worth $90) by owner who wanted to be rid of it, as it has a company logon on cap.

I will post the better tray a little later.

regards

David

orfew
February 22nd, 2014, 08:49 PM
I know nothing about American pens as I do not collect them. However, I loved the look of those Sheaffer striated pens. Are they all celluloid?

david i
February 22nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
I know nothing about American pens as I do not collect them. However, I loved the look of those Sheaffer striated pens. Are they all celluloid?

Hi,

Yep, the striated Sheaffers are Celluloid.

regards

David

david i
February 23rd, 2014, 04:14 PM
Final major LA Pen Show (2014, Feb) Booty Shot. Pretty much the best. Counting the pre-show Janesville Hoard I bought the day before leaving for LA, I pulled in probably 140 pens in three days. No complaints.

Advanced pens in some cases. Mostly my usual 1920's-1940's Celluloid, but a few moderns too. I'll offer some tidbits of info here.

http://www.vacumania.com/penteech2/LosAngeles_penshow2014C1400.jpg

Left to Right.

MB 146 Modern. Hey, I don't seek these, but they sell like hotcakes so I also don't turn 'em down.
Gold Bond Women's Pearl set. You might want to subscribe to PENnant Magazine, as this pen will be featured (Fate! I wrote the article now I have the pen) in Part 2 of Pens from the Monkey Ward.
Gold Bond "Popular Size". Also in next issue PENnant
Wardrite. Made by the same maker of the prior two Gold Bond pens, also a brand of the Monkey Ward.
Gold Bond (streamlined, "platinum" Celluloid). One of the neatest period pens I've seen, evoking some of the European pens from that era. I have several in this style.
Delta Dolce Vita. Part of another small collection purchased at the show. Hey, at least it has Princeton colors.
Parker... Vacumatic? Look carefully
Parker.... Challenger? Look carefully
Parker... Vacumatic? Look carefully
Parker 51. Nice green color with pretty two tone gold cap with stalagmite pattern. There must be a name for this...
Mabie Todd (Quality Brand during the heyday for old pens) in pale Jade Celluloid. As mint.
A monster. Schnell Penselpen oversized, black and bronze Celluloid. Known to those who know, this series, short lived, from a man who worked with some of the great pen makers of that era, has significant cachet for seasoned collectors
Parker Vacumatic scarce "1.5th" Generation Standard. Kosher, not a mix
Parker Vacumatic Senior Maxima. Black.
Parker Vacumatic Senior. A scarce model. Emerald Pearl
Parker Duofold Senior. Seafoam Green. Excellent condition (uncommon that way) and featuring a very scarce double broad stub nib.
Parker Duofold Senior. Moderne Black and Pearl. Excellent color preservation (most are far more heavily ambered)
Parker Duofold Senior set. Jade. Superb color (one in a hundred).

regards

david

david i
February 23rd, 2014, 04:28 PM
And, in view of some of the discussion here about pen prices at pens shows, I've offered "Dynamics of the Pen Show", a rapidly cobbled primer on some of the ins and outs of pen show play. I must tweak it before it becomes a profile at Vacumania.

Here be the link. I think Dan pinned it to top of the Pen Show Forum here.

Dynamics of the Pen Show (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6037-Pen-Show-Dynamics-Los-Angeles-and-far-more)

regards

d

david i
February 23rd, 2014, 04:38 PM
Finally, a quick shot and a link. Formally not part of the LA Pen SHow (feb 2014) finds, I bought the following folder full of pens one day before I left Janesville (home of Parker, where I spend part of each month) for the LA Pen SHow. The story is at the provided link here at FPG.

Link-- My Second Janesville Pen Hoard---Link (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6089-Another-Janesville-%28home-of-Parker%29-Pen-Hoard?p=68273#post68273)

I've also added just the quick-n-dirty shot I did on the fly at the show. This wasn't done in my light tent

http://vacumania.com/penteech2/janesville_february2014hoardA1200.jpg

Scrawler
March 1st, 2014, 06:54 AM

Obviously not enough pirates in your upbringing.

Mags
March 2nd, 2014, 07:36 AM
And, in view of some of the discussion here about pen prices at pens shows, I've offered "Dynamics of the Pen Show", a rapidly cobbled primer on some of the ins and outs of pen show play. I must tweak it before it becomes a profile at Vacumania.

Here be the link. I think Dan pinned it to top of the Pen Show Forum here.

Dynamics of the Pen Show (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6037-Pen-Show-Dynamics-Los-Angeles-and-far-more)

regards

d

David I very much enjoyed reading your article. Thank you.

david i
March 2nd, 2014, 09:58 AM

Obviously not enough pirates in your upbringing.

The somewhat entertaining and ironic element to this situation is that my quite appropriate usage of "booty" likely has been around centuries longer than the TMZ sort ;)

-d