PDA

View Full Version : Stipula Etruria Rainbow Limited Edition

DrChumley
February 15th, 2014, 11:48 PM
So, I have mentioned (ad nauseaum) that I recently won the Fahrney's Pens giveaway for National Handwriting Day, and last week, the prize pen, a Stipula Etruria Rainbow Limited Edition in Green, with a lovely 14K nib, arrived at my house. (I have to say, with as much pen stuff that gets shipped to me, I'm becoming an expert in parcel opening.)

The pictures I've seen online of this pen just didn't do it for me, and I would have passed it over, because I thought they all looked a little "Skittle-colored" and cheap. However, in person, (and away from the other colors), this green acrylic is just lovely. It's a beautiful, glossy finish.

It's also a massive pen. It's almost identical in size to the MB 149. However, the big difference for me is that where the MB149 has a section that is nearly 13mm in diameter and is perfectly cylindrical, the section of the Etruria is beautifully tapered, and is only about 10.5mm, allowing for a much more comfortable grip. I like bigger pens, but my complaint with the MB149 has always been that the section has always felt just a little too wide for me, and not at all ergonomic.

The nib of the pen, however, was problematic. My pen came with the 14K nib in medium, rather than the more common "T-Flex" nib. It was as smooth as could be...too much so. It had the dreaded baby's bottom problem. I can honestly say that I have never had more issues with hard starts and skipping than I did with this nib. It was maddening. So, out came the sandpaper, micromesh, and lapping sheets, and I got to work on the nib. Once I sanded off that baby's bottom, the nib was a fantastic writer, and I haven't had problem #1 with it since. And despite my sanding, it's still quite smooth. I think this is just another case of the manufacturer getting a little over-zealous in smoothing their nibs and creating problems for the writer.

I also, interestingly, found that the sweet spot on this nib was pretty small, but that too was fixed with a bit of adjustment. Now I love the way it writes.

It is, I should note, just a bit on the dry side of a medium ink flow, but a bit of pressure on the nib really has a great impact on the flow, making it a very fun pen to use with a highly-shading ink (like MB da Vinci Red Chalk, which is what I have it inked up with now.)

All in all, I'm really digging this pen so far. I'm not usually a huge fan of demonstrators, but this one is pretty darn nice. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it surplants my MB149 in my top 5 or top 10 in the next few weeks as I continue getting to know the pen.

A video review and more pictures can be found here (http://penhabit.com/2014/02/16/pen-review-stipula-etruria-rainbow-le/).

cwent2
February 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Yes, fine pen. I entered the same contest and of course I would have preferred that I had won, I none the less am happy for you.

Enjoy your new pen

Carl

Bogon07
February 16th, 2014, 08:50 PM
DrChumley your prize Stipula Etruria Rainbow Limited Edition in Green is a wonderful rich green colour. It looks like GI green cordial we have in Australia.
Good to hear you've corrected the nib problem.

Yes, fine pen. I entered the same contest and of course I would have preferred that I had won, I non the less am happy for you.
Enjoy your new pen
Carl
Haven't you got a pale Italian pen coming your way this week too ?

Robert
February 17th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the review . . . and the wonderful pictures. Very nice, indeed.

cwent2
February 17th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Ahem, er why yes if the Anderson's return from their jaunt across country in one piece, I may indeed receive a entry level Visconti that I am impatiently waiting for.

But I did have to wish Matt success with his new pen

Cw

DrChumley
February 17th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Ahem, er why yes if the Anderson's return from their jaunt across country in one piece, I may indeed receive a entry level Visconti that I am impatiently waiting for.

Cw

Oh, I just adore Viscontis. And thanks, Carl. :) I feel bad now for stealing it from you. But only a little bit. :)

cwent2
February 18th, 2014, 08:28 AM

Cw

Oh, I just adore Viscontis. And thanks, Carl. :) I feel bad now for stealing it from you. But only a little bit. :)

Matt

I don't consider that you "stole" the pen, you won it fair and square - unlike today's school kids I am ok if I lose. Just sayin' I would have prefered to win.

I am sincerely happy you won your pen.

Cw

Francesco TSRM
May 28th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Hi, can you tell me if the body of this Etruria is longer than the body of a TWSBI 580. I've seen that you have a 580 rose gold. I can't figure out the real dimensions of this Stipula. Thanks

cwent2
May 28th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Trim Color Gold, Rose Gold, Silver
Weight 36-40 Grams
Length 146 - 150 mm
Diameter 14.1 - 16 mm
Nib grade --Flexy/Semi Flex, -Fine, -Medium
Nib content Titanium
Filling System Piston Filler
Material Acrylic/ Resin
Color Blue, Transparent, Green, Orange, Red, Yellow
Type Fountain Pen
Nib size #6 size
Condition New
Brand Stipula

gerigo
July 1st, 2014, 11:06 AM
Matt

I recently purchased this pen in the same color with a Titiano nib from a B&M store in my city. I made sure to try the nib before bringing it home so that I did not end up with a dud. Like you, I too have had bad experiences with Stipula nibs. However I really love their designs and have quite a few of their pens in my collection.

There is something about the design and shape of the pen that sits SO well in the hand. I completely agree with your assessment of the pen. Its just so comfortable to use that I want to write and write with it. The narrow grip together with the larger barrel makes it particularly ergonomic. Something that's just difficult to be able to judge through just pictures.