PDA

View Full Version : New to fountain pens and writing period. Pun intended

possumburg
February 16th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Hi all. My name is Joey. So I was on Facebook the other day, and I saw a post from a wet shaving group I am in where the guy posted his shave of the day written out on paper with a fountain pen. I thought the pen looked pretty cool, so I asked him about it. It is a Lamy Safari charcoal. So I did a quick search fully expecting to find a $200 pen. Well, as soon as I saw the price on amazon, I ordered one! Something I've been wanting to do for a while is start a journal and try to improve my horrid handwriting skills. So as soon as my pen arrives, I plan on beginning that journey. Hopefully you all can give me help and inspiration!

Side question, how did you all discover fountain pens?

cwent2
February 16th, 2014, 01:30 PM
:welcome:

inlovewithjournals
February 16th, 2014, 01:38 PM

Lamy is a good entry pen; I started with a Lamy as well. I discovered fountain pens through my sister; she is 13 years older than me and was a passionate journaller/fountain pen user. Youtube (and most notably, the videos of Mr. Stephen Brown) have subsequently fuelled my own passion. I now have a nice baker's dozen to her two ha ha :)

Welcome to the forum and have fun.

caribbean_skye
February 16th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Welcome, welcome.

I was introduced to fountain pens by my father shortly after I learned to write and have mostly been using them ever since. I have found that writing slower and finding people to write to/exchange letters with has helped me improve my handwriting.

possumburg
February 16th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Yeah I definitely need to slow down. The letter writing thing sounds like a great idea actually, thanks!

Jeph
February 16th, 2014, 03:28 PM
:welcome: I was looking for a better ballpoint and discovered fountain pens. I am glad that I did and I think that you will be as well.

85AKbN
February 16th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Wietse
February 16th, 2014, 05:39 PM
improve my horrid handwriting skills. So as soon as my pen arrives, I plan on beginning that journey. Hopefully you all can give me help and inspiration!

Hi there! I found that practising calligraphy (especialy Copperplate) is a great way to improve handwriting. Anyways I got into fountainpens when I was looking to an alternative for dip-pens.
Didn't find a suitable alternative, but did find a new addiction.

imaginerhetoric
February 16th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I picked up a VERY cheap fountain pen at a Mono Prix when I was passing through Paris. I loved the flow, the pretty nib, etc but need a very fine point to write decently...so the search began!

TerraNoir
February 16th, 2014, 06:18 PM

I love Lamy pens. I own two, and I love the fact that you can change out the nibs. I was looking for refills for my -le gasp- ball point. Only pen that I could use and noticed that the company also made fountain pens. The company is Pilot and thus I was researching them and bought my first one. The Pilot Metropolitan. Quite a classy intro pen. :D Welcome to the madness!

Dad Of Sapling
February 16th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Welcome Joey, The Safari is a great pen. Your story sounds a lot like mine. I got her through a shave forum as well. Maybe the same one. B&B??

VertOlive
February 16th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Welcome. I have the charcoal Lamy as well- you made a good choice. Now for a few ink samples!

possumburg
February 16th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Welcome Joey, The Safari is a great pen. Your story sounds a lot like mine. I got her through a shave forum as well. Maybe the same one. B&B??

I am a member of B&B, but this was on Facebook. Group called Wet Shaver Review. These two hobbies are really quite similar when you think about it. Getting back to the older, better way of doing things.

Thanks for all the welcomes and for sharing your stories with me!

Lady Onogaro
February 16th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I used a fountain pen as a child in school, and I bought some kind of demonstrator about 20 years ago and was deeply disappointed by it (can't remember the brand, just that it was green and gold and see-through). I rediscovered them about two years ago. I saw and fell in love with a Lamy Vista, and I still have a preference for demonstrators. That opened the door (that, and the discovery of JetPens and Gourmet Pens). I can't remember how I found about both of them. I likely discovered JetPens via Gourmet Pens, one of my favorite blogs.

Sailor Kenshin
February 17th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Hi all. My name is Joey. So I was on Facebook the other day, and I saw a post from a wet shaving group I am in where the guy posted his shave of the day written out on paper with a fountain pen. I thought the pen looked pretty cool, so I asked him about it. It is a Lamy Safari charcoal. So I did a quick search fully expecting to find a $200 pen. Well, as soon as I saw the price on amazon, I ordered one! Something I've been wanting to do for a while is start a journal and try to improve my horrid handwriting skills. So as soon as my pen arrives, I plan on beginning that journey. Hopefully you all can give me help and inspiration!

I was an amateur sketcher and wanted something more portable and neater than dip pens with India ink, and more expressive than Flairs. Then I saw a drawing of a Pelikan 120 and it's all been a blur.

Welcome aboard. I have the Charcoal Safari...what nib didja get?

possumburg
February 17th, 2014, 05:29 AM
what nib didja get?

I got the fine nib. But, I'll probably try out at least a couple more. I got a feeling my next order is gonna have quite a few items!

Sailor Kenshin
February 17th, 2014, 05:39 AM
what nib didja get?

I got the fine nib. But, I'll probably try out at least a couple more. I got a feeling my next order is gonna have quite a few items!

The trap has sprung! :bounce:

KrazyIvan
February 17th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Indeed. Welcome to the forum and...

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/4fad386beab8eac843000000/its-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas.jpg

chojo
February 18th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Welcome friend :welcome:

possumburg
February 18th, 2014, 07:08 PM
The safari came today! I really like it but not really impressed with the blue ink it came with. So I went ahead and ordered a converter and a bottle of Noodler's black.

odd_soul
February 18th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Hi Joey! Welcome to the madness.

I got a Lamy as my first FP too. I got a black Al-Star with a fine nib. This was only back in August, and now I have about 20 pens. Yikes! I discovered them via Lifehacker. They periodically do this thing where they ask everyone to submit their favorite of a certain thing. Then they'll post the top 5, and everyone votes on that, and then they'll announce the #1 submission. This time they were doing notebooks. I love notebooks as much as I love pens, so of course I had to check it out, and when I did, I saw that they linked to the entry where they had done pens. Since I was like a kid in a candy shop every time I went into a Staples when I was younger, I was drawn to that pen post. It was like destiny. :P The Lamy Safari was one of the pens they listed in the top 5, and I thought the design was really neat. And then somehow I discovered some pen / office supply blogs, and thus my FP obsession was born.

Jon Szanto
February 18th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Hey Joey,

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people.

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon