PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Long Island Pen Show

ChrisC
February 17th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Anybody from here going? I thought about it since I'm in NJ and I kinda want a binderized 200 nib. The $8 shipping on Richard Binder's website is quite a bit of the train ticket, I imagine so I figure it's worth it to go.

earthdawn
February 18th, 2014, 12:10 AM
YES and I can't wait.

Ill be there Saturday and looking for Richard to work on one of my pens as well.

It's a great little show thats packed with great stuff.

ChrisC
February 18th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Wow cool. I might go, and it would be great to meet some of my fellow Fpgeeks. How does one get a pin? :D

edit: just confirmed, round trip will be around 16 dollars, so it's definitely worth it.

plistumi
February 18th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Do come, the LI Show is really nice. I am in too. It's in my "backyard" so no excuse for not showing up.

scrivelry
February 18th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I am hoping to go, thought I may not get there till Sunday. Everything on earth seems to be attempting to happen in my life that weekend with the possible exception of a Volcanic explosion, which is why Saturday seems unlikely.:cry:

Where DO we get the pins. A piece of copy paper inscribed "I am on FPGeeks" pinned to my back seems, I dunno, maybe a bit pathetic...

Crazyorange
February 18th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I'm going on the Sunday. Where do we get a pin?

ChrisC
February 18th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I'll be there, and I want to sell my mostly full noodler's and PR inks. I got tiananmen red, lexington gray, and PR ebony blue. I just dont use them much. I'd take $7 each, if anyone's interested.

Just thought I'd give a bit of extra motivation for someone to go, using some nicely priced ink.

Tracy Lee
February 18th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I'm going on the Sunday. Where do we get a pin?

Have you checked on the FP Geeks website? There was a batch made available in 2013 but not sure if any are left. Looks like this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/19/qahy6udu.jpg

earthdawn
February 18th, 2014, 02:43 PM
OK... we went through this last year.

Heres what to do... Put your name tag with your board name under your name on your back left shoulder lol

FountianPenKid and I were looking for each other last year, not knowing what we look like, and never crossed paths. SO WE THOUGHT.. we found pictures posted of us about 10' apart lol.

See we are all leaning over tables or talking to someone etc so it's hard sometimes to make eye contact except when you are moving over to another table. So since you everyones back at one point or another it makes it easy to say "HEY... I know you from FPG's"

Crazyorange
February 18th, 2014, 03:40 PM
OK... we went through this last year.

Heres what to do... Put your name tag with your board name under your name on your back left shoulder lol

FountianPenKid and I were looking for each other last year, not know what we look like, and never crossed paths. SO WE THOUGHT.. we found pictures posted of us about 10' apart lol.

See we are all leaning over tables or talking to someone etc so it's hard sometimes to make eye contact except when you are moving over to another table. So since you everyones back at one point or another it makes it easy to say "HEY... I know you from FPG's"

I'll do that. I'm old enough that I don't care if I look like a fool. :)

ChrisC
February 18th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I'll make a mini badge, printed out. :D

And dang, the prospects for going just decreased. With all the transportation involved itd set me back about $40 just to get to the pen show, let alone the $25 early trader entrance I wanted.

earthdawn
February 18th, 2014, 06:29 PM
LOL>.. I found the pic I labeled last year..

Red arrow is FPK and the blue is me... and to the far right, the blonde is Lisa Anderson of Anderson Pens and PCA President.

It was kinda funny that we were just that close and both there for hours and never figured it out.

I really think the name badge will help us a lot.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/LIshow_zps479c3006.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/LIshow_zps479c3006.jpg.html)

Crazyorange
February 18th, 2014, 08:37 PM
We need badges. Otherwise it's ships passing in the nite.

Cyber6
February 19th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I am coming too!!! And I made some badges... but don't know how to attach them (either as a pic or a template/labels word format)... :crazy_pilot:

fpquest
February 19th, 2014, 08:45 PM
It's only a two hour trip for me and probably the only show I'll get to this year. So going to try hard to get there.

scrivelry
February 27th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Is anyone going on Sunday? Saturday is doubtful for me.

Winnie
March 6th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I am hoping to go on Saturday with my husband. We are both new to fountain pens, and I am new to this site! This is my first post. Very excited to be here, and going there! I am in Suffolk, so it isn't hard for me to get to. Made a list of pens I want to check out!

cwent2
March 6th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Could get burger king crowns and paste geek on em...... or just name tags with fp geek member on them.

Crazyorange
March 6th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I'm going Sunday. Do the shows give out name tags?

earthdawn
March 6th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I'm going Sunday. Do the shows give out name tags?

Yes they do ;)

Crazyorange
March 6th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Then do we put on the tag "fpg" ?

earthdawn
March 6th, 2014, 02:45 PM

Ill be putting my name on it and under it in quotes my board name

Crazyorange
March 6th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Great. I'm excited to meet some new people. It's not very often you get to meet people from the forums.

scrivelry
March 6th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I may be there Saturday, late, I may be there Sunday, early. I may be there both, I suppose. The Saturday night event has fallen through for me, it seems, so I may just go late that day, and possibly, depending on how much I see, early the next. But I will not be there at lunch time. The Burger King Crown is tempting...

Then again, crowns are hardly common at FP shows, from the pictures I have been looking at - I'd say take a second look at the nametag of anyone with a tiara, crown, or circlet of any kind on their head...

*wanders away muttering about finally getting a little more use out of that Tiara...*

scrivelry
March 6th, 2014, 03:38 PM

Ill be putting my name on it and under it in quotes my board name

I will probably put my boardname first, and my (Mundane? Muggle? Can you tell the sorts of places I frequent?) other name second. If I had an avatar I'd be tempted to print it and slap that on as well. I really should see about an avatar...

Mags
March 6th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I am coming too!!! And I made some badges... but don't know how to attach them (either as a pic or a template/labels word format)... :crazy_pilot:

Have fun Cyber6!

jfsisler
March 7th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Bill and I are coming down on Saturday. About a 3/12 -4 hour drive for us, but if the Andersons can drive from Wisconsin we can make it from Massachusetts.

Winnie
March 10th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I was telling my sister about the show and how I was looking forward to it. He young son (10) asked to go with my hubby and I to his first show. I thought that was very cool and a fun way to spend the day together! He loves to come over and make cards with me and stamp, so I he will enjoy having his own pen.

scrivelry
March 10th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Does anyone who has been to this particular pen show have any opinions on whether it is worth getting the weekend trader so you can get in early both days?

fountainpenkid
March 10th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I'll be going sat or sunday.

earthdawn
March 10th, 2014, 06:49 PM

Ill be there sat !

LOL... if your there on sat we will meet up this time...

I still laugh at last years pic

bluefeathers
March 11th, 2014, 01:08 AM
I'm going on Sat. probably. I need to get a pen fixed; hoping I can get through the show only buying a bottle of ink. It would be nice to meet up.

earthdawn
March 11th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Terry Brack just posted this over on FPN

Things are really shaping up for the Long Island Pen Show this weekend, 15-16 March 2014. Check out our facebook event page and this link to a video filmed and produced by Hofstra Student, Mariel Carbone, http://youtu.be/Y1o_5WeDej4
This year we are expanding into the room next door so we should have more breathing room. Last year we were packed to the gills and had to turn away some exhibitors. This year they have renovated the rooms and have made a quantum improvement in the lighting which, let's face it, was poor, but those days are gone.

fpquest
March 11th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Does anyone who has been to this particular pen show have any opinions on whether it is worth getting the weekend trader so you can get in early both days?

Last year was my first year at the show. I didn't have the w/e trader but arrived very shortly after the doors opened Saturday. There wasn't a line and I was surprised how many empty tables there still were. Also some vendors still setting up. it wasn't very busy yet. Things did pick up and the vendor tables filled in. It did become a lot more crowded an hour or so later. In the short time before it got crowded there were plenty of vendors to talk to and pens to see so I don't want to sound too negative. I assume it would have been even easier to talk to vendors before the doors opened to the public. Up to you as to whether or not it's worth it. On the plus side it's only $25 for the w/e trader so not much more than regular for both days.

scrivelry
March 11th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks! The way other obligations seem to be shaping up I think my best chance to actually see anything may be to show up really early, so I have more than 15 minutes to look around before I have to leave, so I think I may do that. Thanks for the info, fpquest!

fountainpenkid
March 13th, 2014, 04:51 AM

My parents need to go car shopping on Saturday and Sunday because our car was totaled, so I sadly won't be able to make it this year.

Winnie
March 13th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Hope your family is ok after the car accident. Sorry you won't make the show, but maybe next year.

fountainpenkid
March 13th, 2014, 01:59 PM
My mom has a minor concussion, but otherwise they're fine! I really wish I could make it!

Crazyorange
March 14th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Fountain pen kid
Sorry to hear your folk had an accident. Hope your mom feels better soon.

Crazyorange
March 14th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Woohoo! Two days til Sunday! I can't wait. Can saturday visitors post a quick review Saturday nite? I would love to hear about the highlights of your visit.

earthdawn
March 14th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I'll be Instagram and twittering pics and video all day tomorrow

All networks are @FountainPenDay

Crazyorange
March 14th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Following:). Thanks. Will you be there on Sunday?

earthdawn
March 15th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Following:). Thanks. Will you be there on Sunday?

Just Saturday. I wish I could be there Sunday but I work weekends and already took of Saturday to go...

HOPING I can get a slot with Binder for my Visconti HS ... the idiot I am thought I could mess with the nib... NOT !

Sailor Kenshin
March 15th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Quick notes:

A Montblanc Generation jumped into my pocket.

The guy selling LE Safari colors has better prices than fleabay and lots of colors, including orange with red clip.

earthdawn
March 15th, 2014, 02:51 PM
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/6F972A49-47E6-4A2C-8507-4003CA304BAE_zps9gjyfc1s.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/6F972A49-47E6-4A2C-8507-4003CA304BAE_zps9gjyfc1s.jpg.html)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/18F7E4A4-177E-40AB-B757-7C115755D20F_zpsylx4w4uk.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/18F7E4A4-177E-40AB-B757-7C115755D20F_zpsylx4w4uk.jpg.html)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/A805B3D8-ADE6-4E00-96B7-12B132134263_zpsqmcjqniu.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/A805B3D8-ADE6-4E00-96B7-12B132134263_zpsqmcjqniu.jpg.html)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/87C54082-A380-456D-9515-DDF92BBF9892_zpsyvfbj53g.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/87C54082-A380-456D-9515-DDF92BBF9892_zpsyvfbj53g.jpg.html)

Crazyorange
March 15th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Woohoo! The Andersons!!! I can't wait to meet Lisa. I love her sense of humor on the podcasts.
What did you buy?

earthdawn
March 15th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Heres the haul

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/25F95559-BD65-4940-9BFE-E40D453B2DF9_zps50btwhzz.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/25F95559-BD65-4940-9BFE-E40D453B2DF9_zps50btwhzz.jpg.html)

scrivelry
March 15th, 2014, 05:51 PM
I went late, about 3:15, 3:30, and wandered around getting my feet wet and asking questions. Now I have to work up the courage to re-sac something. Tonight. Because if it works for me, then I should probably buy about a ga-zinkion more sacs tomorrow, to avoid postage...

Seriously.

I did wear my Tiara, but probably it just scared people off.

Winnie
March 16th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Had a lovely time there yesterday. I picked up a lot of stuff. The Anderson's table is where I did a lot of my shopping, as they both were so helpful and friendly to this newbie. I had ink questions and pens I wanted to try and they were very nice. My husband is making me a pen box today from an old tea box I had after picking up an insert yesterday. I am looking forward to going again next year. Good size to get my feet wet without becoming overwhelmed.

Crazyorange
March 16th, 2014, 02:44 PM
What a great event! I got a pen from Susan wirth, a ton of ink and paper from the Anderson's and a pen wrap from the bender table. It's a wonderful talking to people and trying out pens. I saw some of the fancy handmade Japanese pens....now I understand why people love them. Seeing these pens in person....wow...incredibly....my favorite was praying mantis surrounded by pumpkins and butterflies.

85AKbN
March 16th, 2014, 02:46 PM
are there ever pen shoes in vegas? :)

scrivelry
March 16th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Not sure,but there was a pair of pumps on the table at this one. I did not ask why...

Great day at the show today! I met a few people and had some really awesome moments. I also, between yesterday and today, spent 43 dollars plus tax on sacs.

Yes, sacs. I bought one 21 dollar pen and 23 sacks. (The package of Pilot Varsities I bought for a child count as bribes, not pens...)

Also three pen tray inserts, three j-bars, shellac, talc, simichrome, micromesh, loupe, inkwell, and six bottles of ink.

You know, when you look at it like that, it seems pretty restrained...

But seriously, it was a very nice time. People were very nice. And really, I was good. The list of things I did NOT buy was much longer than the list of things I did...

And ooo, Ma! I can re-sac now! Did Ten last night, w00t!

Sailor Kenshin
March 16th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I saw the pumps. I did not ask why.

Crazyorange
March 16th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I missed the pumps. Though I met the people selling windows. Why sell windows at a pen show?

Winnie
March 16th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I saw the pumps and was very confused by the used shoes, but the windows were weird too. Friendly people though. I enjoyed trying out the various inks with the dip pens. Met some friendly people there as well.

VertOlive
March 16th, 2014, 08:29 PM
More pics?

scrivelry
March 16th, 2014, 08:51 PM
I sort of enjoyed the pun of "Anderson Windows" a stone's throw from Anderson Pens, (even the way I throw) but as far as I know that was unintentional.

I met totally amazing people. I didn't take pictures - I was sort of too into what I was doing to look at it, if that makes any sense... It felt like the first day in a new world.

earthdawn
March 16th, 2014, 09:22 PM
More pics?

I shot a quick instagram video...

http://instagram.com/fountainpenday

LOL.. I saw the Bally Pumps to at the Toys from the Attic table

Carole
March 16th, 2014, 10:07 PM
More pics?

Thanks for the pix--so that we who are showless may vicariously enjoy!

Is your Visconti now Binderized? And did I miss your new piccolo-inks review from the Akkerman haul?

(I'm just full of questions this evening. What can I say, it's sub-zero again. Brain freeze! :crazy: )

earthdawn
March 16th, 2014, 11:02 PM
More pics?

Thanks for the pix--so that we who are showless may vicariously enjoy!

Is your Visconti now Binderized? And did I miss your new piccolo-inks review from the Akkerman haul?

(I'm just full of questions this evening. What can I say, it's sub-zero again. Brain freeze! :crazy: )

Visconti is ... NOT !!... I got there late and paid the price. Zorn, Binder & Tim Girdler were all busy bees with long lists. oh well...

Was such a great time though. Got to meet up with plistumi and that was just a highlight for sure. She is just an awesome person. Outgoing and friendly and very gracious to let me try some of her pens. Especially her Nakaya Piccolos, though I found out they are indeed just to small for me. NOW I just read above she was selling her own inks ???? HUH ???? Well whats that about? I would have certainly jumped on that bing the Ink-o-holic I am.

The new Akkerman inks are fantastic but so is the Aurora Blue and Noodlers FPH exclusive Manhattan Blue I scored at the show!

Oops' I obviously spent some time with the Anderson's and thats always great. Being around people who LOVE what they do and really enjoy the time they spend with others who enjoy pens & ink & paper etc. is just awesome.

Crazyorange
March 17th, 2014, 07:03 AM
The Anderson's really have made an impression in the community. They are like the kardashains of the fountain community. I saw many people getting their pictures taken with them. I thought some of the vendors were grumpy. Not the Anderson's. Lisa was sick and she still was so friendly. I plan to buy a lot from them.

Plus I got to meet scriverly. I would love to talk more medieval history with her. Thanks scriverly for being friendly :)

Sailor Kenshin
March 17th, 2014, 07:48 AM
I missed the pumps. Though I met the people selling windows. Why sell windows at a pen show?

Don't know, but they asked me if I needed any.

Crazyorange
March 17th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Me too. Already have Anderson windows. But I wanted to look at pens not windows. Weird.

Steph
March 17th, 2014, 08:44 AM
The Anderson's really have made an impression in the community. They are like the kardashains of the fountain community. I saw many people getting their pictures taken with them. I thought some of the vendors were grumpy. Not the Anderson's. Lisa was sick and she still was so friendly. I plan to buy a lot from them.

Agreed, but maybe not the Kardashians. More Brangelina I would say, more substance behind the presence.

I made it at the very last minute and caught the last 2, 3 hours of the show. Still got to spend time with the Anderson's, wave hello to the Binders and the Zorns, and shop around at other tables. Someone asked me if going to the show for that short amount of time was worth it. Yes, it's always good to spend time with friends. I am only sorry that I missed many of you Geeks because the shows are truly about the people and the relationships.

Sailor Kenshin
March 18th, 2014, 10:12 AM
A couple of pics. The corner of my lime-green jacket shows in one.

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/3813/9510/2288/LI_Pen_Show-3-612w.jpg

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/1813/9510/2289/LI_Pen_Show-4-612w.jpg

Anderson had ink swatches! I wish I could have spent more time leafing through them but the table was always six deep and I didn't want to hog space.

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/4413/9510/2285/LI_Pen_Show_Ink_Samples-1-612w.jpg

plistumi
March 18th, 2014, 10:10 PM
... snip
Got to meet up with plistumi and that was just a highlight for sure. ...snip... NOW I just read above she was selling her own inks ???? HUH ???? Well whats that about? I would have certainly jumped on that bing the Ink-o-holic I am.

I wish I knew enough chemistry to mix inks. I am limited to following cookie baking recipes (I am pretty good at it, says me as I much on a home made from scratch chocolate chip cookie). I had illustrations for the word INK at the show, but, alas, I do not make inks.