PDA

View Full Version : The ever popular....."I forgot to empty my pockets" case :(

fountainpenkid
May 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Well...I forgot to take my dad's Pel' 120 out of my shorts yesterday, so it ended up going through the wash :( . It is fine---the piston mechanism is fine, but the nib has a bit of a problem--the nib itself is lost, but the feed remains....only problem is the fact that the feed is detached from the nib holder which is screw in--the nib holder is now stuck inside the pen (i guess it swelled )?

Any ideas? Anybody have a spare 120 nib that they could sell/give me?

Thanks!

Will

gwgtaylor
May 14th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Will, I'm afraid I can't help much with the pen as I've never had that model but did want to say sorry for your misfortune. I do remember reading something on Richard Binder's website pertaining to separating feeds pertaining to a 400NN I think. Might be worth a read.

KrazyIvan
May 15th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Tough luck as of late, no? :(

I have seen plenty of nib units on ebay.

fountainpenkid
May 15th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Getting the nib unit isn't really the problem. The main problem is that the screw in part is stuck in the pen...

KrazyIvan
May 15th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I had something similar happen when my FPN LE Stipula Passaporto came to me. Keep in mind, I had nothing to loose since the feed was broken. Stipula sent me a new nib unit. To make a long story short, I heated up a solder scraper blade end (it looks a little like an oblique flat head screw driver, if that make sense) and shoved it into the broken feed. I let it cool, then just used the solder scraper as a big handle to twist the feed out of the section.

fountainpenkid
May 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM
no feed is broken, so I'm a bit confused there....but I understand the flathead part---i should heat one up (the solder scraper), and stick it inside the nib hole (section), and hope to partially melt the threads and twist the screw in part out of its female threads? I think the lingo is getting to me here!

Will

KrazyIvan
May 15th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Mmm, if the feed is not broken then you might just be able to grasp the feed and unscrew it, no?

Scratch that. I reread your OP. Maybe just stuffing a tooth pick between the feed and the collar may give it enough grip that you could screw the whole thing out.

John the Monkey
May 16th, 2012, 07:23 AM
What about the trick that sometimes gets used for inner caps? I.e. find a rod close to the diameter of the inner face of the cap, wrap an elastic band tightly around the rod, and then use that to provide extra friction...?

EDIT: Hang on, is the feed still in the holder then? Having trouble visualising this one.

fountainpenkid
May 16th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'll post a pic!

goldiesdad
May 18th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Lots of sites sell them ... Good luck in your hunt ... Thanks Goodness you clothes aren't all stained ...