PDA

View Full Version : A Very Individual Script

caliken
February 19th, 2014, 03:55 AM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Kecseglettering700.jpg

Robert
February 19th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the post, Ken. I am curious to know: how many different styles of calligraphy have you learned?

chojo
February 19th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Glorious work as always Ken thanks for sharing.

caliken
February 21st, 2014, 08:17 AM
Robert,

I've never really counted them.

As far as I'm concerned, it's fairly straightforward.

IMO it's best first, to learn basic scripts with the three basic types of nib. For example 'Business Writing' with rigid pointed nibs, (as in most fountain pens); 'Italic' with edged nibs, and 'Copperplate' with pointed flex nibs.

I know that it can take some time to become really comfortable with the three types of nib, but once the hand is fully familiar with using them, from then on it's just a matter of careful observation and copying and it's really just as possible to write fifty style variations as five.

I don't pretend to have memorised dozens of styles of scripts and, if I'm writing something out in a style I haven't used for a while, I usually have an example to hand, to refresh my memory as necessary. What I NEVER do. is mix styles in a single piece of writing. In my experience this never works and usually looks awful.

Incidentally, for anyone wanting to develop a personal style of Italic, for example, it's far better to learn the style properly in the first place and then as your writing develops speed as you use it, so little personal traits will emerge, giving your writing character and reflecting your personality.

Ken

Thanks for the appreciation, chojo.

Finalist
March 23rd, 2014, 04:13 PM
Very very cool!

Would you say a big oart of this style is the descending aspects of the letters just below the baseline?
Any keys to successfully using this style?

caliken
April 25th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Robert,

I've never really counted them.

As far as I'm concerned, it's fairly straightforward.

IMO it's best first, to learn basic scripts with the three basic types of nib. For example 'Business Writing' with rigid pointed nibs, (as in most fountain pens); 'Italic' with edged nibs, and 'Copperplate' with pointed flex nibs.

I know that it can take some time to become really comfortable with the three types of nib, but once the hand is fully familiar with using them, from then on it's just a matter of careful observation and copying and it's really just as possible to write fifty style variations as five.

I don't pretend to have memorised dozens of styles of scripts and, if I'm writing something out in a style I haven't used for a while, I usually have an example to hand, to refresh my memory as necessary. What I NEVER do. is mix styles in a single piece of writing. In my experience this never works and usually looks awful.

Incidentally, for anyone wanting to develop a personal style of Italic, for example, it's far better to learn the style properly in the first place and then as your writing develops speed as you use it, so little personal traits will emerge, giving your writing character and reflecting your personality.

Ken

Thanks for the appreciation, chojo.

Since writing this, last year, I've compiled a display of writing styles for my web site. Here it is.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Part%201%20800.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Part%202%20800.jpg

Robert
April 25th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Ken - - your talent never ceases to amaze. Thanks for the post.