PDA

View Full Version : What envelopes do you use with your Tomoe River paper?

mwooten
February 19th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Lets say you just received some amazing Tomoe River paper... What envelopes do you use to mail your letter?

Robert
February 19th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Good question. Perhaps Tomoe River also makes envelopes (?) Enquiring minds would like to know.

Lady Onogaro
February 19th, 2014, 09:32 PM
You might try Nanami Paper (web site) for envelopes, though when I last looked, the ones they were selling with the Tomoe River Paper were sold out.

earthdawn
February 19th, 2014, 10:55 PM
I ordered one of these http://www.jetpens.com/Kuretake-Handmade-Envelope-Template-Western-Version/pd/9223

I am going to use that template to make my own envelopes from Tome River paper. Hope it will be here by the weekend.

DrChumley
February 20th, 2014, 01:09 AM
I usually use New Leaf #10 Envelopes for my 8.5x11 Tomoe River Paper, and I like the Clairefontaine Triomphe Envelopes for the A5/Correspondence size paper.

Tracy Lee
February 20th, 2014, 04:01 AM
I make my own envelopes but not with Tomoe River. Sometimes when I find cute cards, I just use the Tomoe River to write on and tuck inside of the card since it is thin and light and goes into the envelope that came with the card. Anything goes. No rules! :-)

VertOlive
February 20th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Nanami paper also sells envelopes for Life bank paper, I have bought them both in cream and white, they're a fair match for Tomoe River paper. They're lined, but be warned there's no adhesive and you need a gluestick:

http://www.nanamipaper.com/categories/envelopes-from-japan.html

Lady Onogaro
February 20th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I ordered one of these http://www.jetpens.com/Kuretake-Handmade-Envelope-Template-Western-Version/pd/9223

I am going to use that template to make my own envelopes from Tome River paper. Hope it will be here by the weekend.

That is an awesome tool. I got to get one of those!

mwooten
February 20th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the information. Please let us know how the template works out.

earthdawn
February 24th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Well the camera on my phone stopped working for whatever reason ... grrrrrr

BUT I did get my templates both Western & Japanese versions. They work well and are super easy to use. I can see now making an envelope out of just about any paper will be easy and is so far. Each template makes 4 different sizes of envelope and for me thats what makes it worth it. Plus they will last a lifetime

I originally took apart an envelope in the size I wanted to use and then traced it on the paper I wanted to make an envelope out of. While it worked just fine the templates offer ease of use and are faster to use.

Ill shoot a quick video once I get my phone swapped out from the good ol' Apple store ;)

earthdawn
February 25th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Did a quick... 14 seconds lol, video on instagram

http://instagram.com/p/k3fflbrmAR/

You get the point though.

Remember each template makes 4 sizes. I did the 2nd smallest size in that video.

VertOlive
February 26th, 2014, 09:16 PM

Remember each template makes 4 sizes. I did the 2nd smallest size in that video.

I've been admiring these for a while. I have a device that is like a paper cutter that makes various sizes, but only one shape. I'd like to make the long Japanese style and it looks like your template could do that...?

earthdawn
February 26th, 2014, 10:59 PM

I've been admiring these for a while. I have a device that is like a paper cutter that makes various sizes, but only one shape. I'd like to make the long Japanese style and it looks like your template could do that...?

I got both templates... the Video is of the Western envelope. The Japanese version is different and makes the ones your looking for. Same thing though, it makes 4 different sizes.

mwooten
February 27th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Thank you for the video and thank you to everyone for the great suggestions.

mrcharlie
March 4th, 2014, 01:37 PM
What size paper do you need to start with to make each of the four size envelopes?

For the "crafty" illiterate, do you know what is the tool in the JetPens pictures used for "scoring" the folds? I think I would just put the straight edge there and bend the paper against it.

earthdawn
March 4th, 2014, 01:48 PM
What size paper do you need to start with to make each of the four size envelopes?

For the "crafty" illiterate, do you know what is the tool in the JetPens pictures used for "scoring" the folds? I think I would just put the straight edge there and bend the paper against it.

Its just a common bone knife they are using. It helps make smooth creases in paper etc. Not needed but can help sometimes.

11"x10" paper will make every size on the Japanese envelopes ~ 6"x 6.25" will make the smallest of the 4

10"x10" paper will make every size on the Western envelopes ~ 6"x 6" will make the smallest of the 4

At the end of the day you just need some paper you like, scissors & a glue stick.

mrcharlie
March 6th, 2014, 04:50 AM
What is the largest size envelope you can make with an 8.5x11 inch sheet of paper?

kia
March 6th, 2014, 09:47 AM
I use the Kreate-A-Lope templates by Greensneakers. No scissors or tracing (though you could), the templates are made to tear the paper around. I originally bought just single sizes, A2, A7, etc. But someone had a clearance on an "all" kit and I snapped it up. The templates make everything from a tiny coin envelope to an envelope to hold a half size page (letter size folded in half). Can also make a US size #10 business envelope. Here is a link to their size chart (http://www.greensneakers.com/Kreate-a-lope-Make-Your-Own-Mega-Kit.html) on their site. They offer a "mega" package to create your own 5 sizes package. Their video (http://www.greensneakers.com/videos/kreate-a-lope-envelope-template.html) goes through the steps and ways to use the templates. I am terrible enough at pictures, so I'll let someone else do videos, lol.

Templates aren't really all that cheap, but you can get various ones from various vendors. I bought some templates from Paper Source (http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/item/Envelope-Template-Kit/2506_006/40713000.html), too, but those you trace, cut, and score. They aren't so much different than the Kreate-A-Lopes, otherwise, but I prefer the ease of Kreate-A-Lope.

I think you can find print envelope templates online, too, to just print and cut.

I have my own bone folders for making nice creases, but it isn't a required tool, by any means. Any stiff edge will work.

I recycled a fantasy calendar into A7 envelopes.

http://kiavonne.smugmug.com/Journals-and-Paper/Paper-Odds-and-Ends/i-Gwc3khB/0/L/recycled%20calendar-L.jpg (http://kiavonne.smugmug.com/Journals-and-Paper/Paper-Odds-and-Ends/i-Gwc3khB/A)

kia
March 6th, 2014, 10:20 AM
What is the largest size envelope you can make with an 8.5x11 inch sheet of paper?

An A2 template will work on 8-1/2 x 11 paper, and the C6. The C6 envelope will hold an A4 page folded in quarters, the A2 will hold and 8-1/2 x 11 folded in quarters.

mrcharlie
March 9th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Getting back to the original topic:

I thought I saw a good solution in Staples; their own brand of "invitation" envelopes, Ivory colored, look like a good match in color and weight (I have no idea how well or poorly they take FP inks). However they are terrible size for A4/A5 paper; 4 3/8 x 5 3/4. The long size needs to be larger than 5.8", say 5 7/8" or better yet 6" in order to fit half folded A5 or quarter folded A4, but it is only 5 3/4". The other dimension would be fine. Oh well. :(

kia
March 9th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I think, if I didn't make the envelopes, and Tomoe River doesn't have envelopes, I'd probably use the Original Crown Mill envelopes from the Goulets and fold my page to fit. Perfect size envelopes are hard to come by in the States if you aren't making them yourself. A google of sizes says the A4 can fit in a C6 envelope folded in quarters, and an A5 can fit folded in half. True or false? I'm thinking a trip to Goulets, and just fitting the page accordingly as their prices aren't over the top for a pack of 25 Original Crown Mill envelopes (http://www.gouletpens.com/Original_Crown_Mill_Classic_Laid_s/1104.htm).

alc3261
March 9th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I think, if I didn't make the envelopes, and Tomoe River doesn't have envelopes, I'd probably use the Original Crown Mill envelopes from the Goulets and fold my page to fit. Perfect size envelopes are hard to come by in the States if you aren't making them yourself. A google of sizes says the A4 can fit in a C6 envelope folded in quarters, and an A5 can fit folded in half. True or false? I'm thinking a trip to Goulets, and just fitting the page accordingly as their prices aren't over the top for a pack of 25 Original Crown Mill envelopes (http://www.gouletpens.com/Original_Crown_Mill_Classic_Laid_s/1104.htm).

This is correct.

mrcharlie
March 11th, 2014, 12:54 AM
When looking at American sized/sourced envelopes, an A5 sheet will fold in half into an American A-6 or 6-Bar envelope, both of which are 4.75 x 6.5 inches and sold as "social", "announcement", or "invitation" envelopes. The "A-6" designation is not related to the ISO paper sizes; the A stands for "Announcement". The "Bar" stands for Baronial, and is the same size with diagonal seams and pointed flap instead of the squared off flap characteristic of the A series.

The "A-2" invitation envelope is also a popular US size that will not fit A4/A5 sheets in any useful way.

kia
March 11th, 2014, 11:37 AM
My apologies for giving false information not useful in this situation. I was going by UK sizes and not US sizes, an oversight on my part. Earthdawn's template from JetPens (Green Sneakers is not responding to messages so I would discount them), or another company with European paper, or a special order of envelopes from another source outside the US, may be the only way to go if not folding a page to fit an envelope at hand.

mrcharlie
March 11th, 2014, 09:40 PM
I don't see where you gave any false information?

You were spot on when you advised that the Crown Mill envelopes from Goulet are a good fit for TR A4/A5 paper. I don't know about the color or texture, but the size is good; they are the ISO C6 size which I believe is specifically designed to fit the A series sizes of paper.

In the US, if you specifically see envelopes labelled with A-2 or A-6 (and some may forget the -) it is not an ISO size spec; it is an "Announcement" envelope spec (http://www.paper-papers.com/envelope-size-chart.html) that is possibly peculiar to the US, I'm not sure. Often the boxes of them in stores don't say "A-2" or "A-6" but just give the dimensions, even though they are one of those two sizes.

However, "C6" (or C# where # is any other number) doesn't conflict with any American standard name/size. Americans mostly won't know what it is, but it doesn't conflict with anything here either.

FWIW, the American "A-6" is just a bit larger than an ISO C6, and is a good size for ISO papers if you find it in a paper you like. The "A-2" is smaller than the C6, and not a good size for ISO A series papers.

And yes, I just did a lot of research into standard envelope sizes in the past couple weeks for reasons having nothing to do with this thread. :)

kia
March 11th, 2014, 09:45 PM
You did do a lot of digging. And thank you for the templates, too.

tiffanyhenschel
March 11th, 2014, 10:39 PM
I don't see where you gave any false information?

You were spot on when you advised that the Crown Mill envelopes from Goulet are a good fit for TR A4/A5 paper. I don't know about the color or texture, but the size is good; they are the ISO C6 size which I believe is specifically designed to fit the A series sizes of paper.:)

Those are what I use for my A4 sized Tomoe River paper. The laid paper is bit white, but the pure cotton is a good match for color. The texture of the pure cotton is rougher than the TR, but it's smoother than G Lalo. (The G Lalo envelopes don't fit the A4 TR as well.)

mrcharlie
March 13th, 2014, 06:07 PM
If you are in the US looking for envelopes for A5 sheets, you might not have thought to look at envelopes of the smallest USPS legal size, ie 3.5x5 or 3 5/8 x 5 1/8. However, TR A5 sheets can be folded into quarters, ie fold in half once each direction, and they fit inside those envelopes. And TR is so thin that a couple sheets of it fold into quarters quite nicely.

I just received a letter on TR A5 folded this way in this type of envelope today; I didn't think of it myself. I can't tell what brand it is; nice quality white paper.

writingrav
March 14th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I use what are called 4 Bar envelopes from the Paper Source.

mrcharlie
March 14th, 2014, 09:02 PM
They seem to have a lot! of different colors and a few different paper qualities, at least online.

writingrav
March 15th, 2014, 06:08 AM
They seem to have a lot! of different colors and a few different paper qualities, at least online.

Yes they do. I buy them at a Paper Source B&M store in my neighborhood. 100 envelopes gets you a discount. Possibly online also.

VertOlive
March 20th, 2014, 07:59 PM

Yes they do. I buy them at a Paper Source B&M store in my neighborhood. 100 envelopes gets you a discount. Possibly online also.

Writigrav, I used one of your long business envelopes to make a template for my calendar page envelope. Do those also come from Paper Source?

writingrav
March 20th, 2014, 08:09 PM

Writigrav, I used one of your long business envelopes to make a template for my calendar page envelope. Do those also come from Paper Source?

Yes they do.

Annie
March 26th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I'm a fusspot when it comes to envelopes, mainly because I find that many of the ones I have bought previously are so thin that the content of the letter can be read through the envelope. Not good when I don't want the postman or anyone else in the household to get a sneak preview. Now I make my own, to suit the size of paper in whatever paper I can find that I like the look of. A ruler, scalpel and glue stick are all that I need.

kia
March 26th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Yeah.

I went all OCD on scrapbook papers for envelopes because of this thread. So, I have nice paper envelopes, and I have all kinds of decorative envelopes. Now, looking at all these envelopes, I realize I have more than quite a few letters to write!

I did make and give a lovely garden card and envelope for my aunt's birthday last weekend. She liked it a lot and started identifying all the flowers in the pattern of the card and envelope paper. She's an avid gardener.

I also made a card and envelope and wrote a letter to include for my best friend in Montana. She has always enjoyed all the things I've made for her. I really miss her.

Back on topic, I've no Tomoe River, but with the templates here, I've no lack of envelopes, either.

kataish
April 28th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Original Crown Mill (classic laid or pure cotton) envelopes (A5 size) is what I use for my Tomoe River letters. I can fold the paper twice (one lengthwise and one width wise) into quarters and it fits perfectly. I do believe their A4 size will also fit the width of Tomoe River, so you could just fold the top and bottom of the sheet into the middle.

jackwebb
April 28th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I love Crane and Co products and have been using them for years. I am currently using Crane 5 3/4 x 7 11/16 envelops and #10 map envelops from Nanami for my B5 size sheets, they sell envelop in many different sizes and colors with price per envelope very close to that of Original Crown Mill envelops.