PDA

View Full Version : Seattle?

tandaina
February 20th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I'm moving to Seattle at the beginning of May (OMG so much to do!) and I'm wondering if there is a pen club there, pen shows in the area, etc? I've seen some very old mentions of a pen show in Portland but nothing recent and haven't seen anything for Seattle. Would love to find a group of pen nuts in the area!

Jon Szanto
February 20th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Oh, come come! It's right there in this same sub-forum you are posting in: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/5438-The-2nd-Annual-N-W-Pen-Round-Up!-2014

Michael McNeil always has beautiful pens posted for sale, I'd certainly hit this show up if I was in the area (only a couple hours drive from Seattle).

tandaina
February 20th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Doh, I'm sorry I totally missed that. *blush* Thank you Jon.

Robert
February 20th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Seattle will be quite a change from Texas. Best of luck on your move.

tandaina
February 20th, 2014, 04:51 PM
A welcome one! I'm from Michigan originally so far closer to the environment I grew up with! No more 114 degree days!

Jon Szanto
February 20th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Sounds like a good move, T. I have friends and relatives up there and always enjoy my visits. I hope the pen environment is good, too. Someone had asked about that area and a couple people made mentions of stuff, just can't recall it right now.

DrChumley
February 20th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Yay! I'm originally from Michigan and now live in the Suburbs of Seattle. I moved up here seven years ago, and they'll have to drag me away kicking and screaming.

There is one quite good retailer in Seattle (World Lux) for pens and ink, and a couple of smaller retailers that have various pen, ink, and paper selections. (The University of Washington Bookstore has a pretty good selection, and Silberman-Brown Stationers has a few things as well.)

There is a Seattle pen club (at least there is a website for the Seattle Pen Club) that supposedly meets on the third Saturday of each month, but I have never been able to attend. I never did get a response from the webmaster when I emailed him, so I don't know if the club is still active or not, but you might have more luck than I.

As for Pen Shows, Portland is about the closest I've seen. It's about 3-3.5 hours away, and I probably wouldn't call it a pen show in the traditional sense. More like a pen meetup or gathering combined with a show. I think last year was the first year they did it, but I believe they're planning on trying to do another one next year.

Overall, though, I suspect you're going to love it here. It is a stunningly beautiful place, great people, tons of fun things to do, amazing food, and very, very mild weather. We get an inch of snow every two years or so, and it never lasts for more than a day or two. We usually only see a week or two of temps above the 90s in the summer, and it's green here year round. Yeah, it rains a lot, but having come from Michigan myself, it's not all that dissimmilar to the spring weather in south-central Michigan, but with much less cold.

Good luck on the move! When you get here, we'll have to ogle each others' collections...although I'm sure yours is far more impressive than mine. :)