PDA

View Full Version : Nakaya, Naka-ai Writer Hiwa-Moegi Limited Edition

youstruckgold
February 21st, 2014, 01:40 AM
Just arrived - happy little vegemite

Newly arrived and available exclusively from Classic Fountain Pens, we are proud to announce the new Nakaya Naka-ai Writer Hiwa-moegi Limited Edition of just five individually numbered fountain pens. Designed by Nakaya master pen designer Shinichi Yoshida in collaboration with Classic Fountain Pen's John Mottishaw, the Naka-ai, with its peaked ends and tapered body, combines many of Nakaya’s most original design features in a single model. With its unique color and special kanji, this is the second of a select series of exclusive limited editions that will be available from us.

http://youstruckgold.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Japanese/i-bzwVPg5/0/M/IMG_1413-M.jpg

Hiwa-moegi translates in Japanese to "young long green onion color", a very specific description of this color which registers slightly brighter than the more traditional Midori finish and with warmer undertones. Notice the vibrant, springtime green which truly does mimic the end of a green onion. The tapered shape of the Naka-ai provides a perfect backdrop for the Hiwa-moegi color, as the model itself seems to take the form of a slender scallion.

http://youstruckgold.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Japanese/i-fcjQxS7/0/M/IMG_1410-M.jpg

A 5 3/4 inches long when capped, this is a pen that will be a very comfortable fit for most users. Like all Nakaya Urushi pens, each Naka-ai is made of hand-turned ebonite hard rubber, then sent to the Wajima region in western Japan for finishing with Urushi lacquer. As with all hand-made pens, colors will vary slightly from pen to pen - no two will ever be exactly alike.

http://youstruckgold.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Japanese/i-PPJB4qp/0/M/IMG_1408-M.jpg

Take a closer look at the green-yellow color of the cap and barrel. Green is the color often associated with balance, making this a perfect fit for the Naka-ai, designed specifically with the principle of equilibrium in mind. Notions of renewal and rebirth also come to mind with this color, making the Naka-ai Writer Hiwa-moegi a perfect choice for starting a writing project or for setting intentions for the new year.

http://youstruckgold.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Japanese/i-bzwVPg5/0/M/IMG_1413-M.jpg

Gold kanji graces the barrel of each limited edition pen, and translates to "Classic Fountain Pens" along with the pen number, as seen at left. Each of these specially inscribed pens is a collector's item and CFP original. Gold trim provides an elegant complement to the green, while the clip functions as a practical way to affix the pen to a shirt pocket.

SOLD OUT! (PS. Mottishaw CI nib - sigh!)

Jon Szanto
February 21st, 2014, 01:53 AM
Beautimous! My Nakaya just arrived today from John as well, with the same <sigh> for the ci grind. Congrats.

purplepencils
February 21st, 2014, 05:51 AM
what a lovely colour!

85AKbN
February 21st, 2014, 06:49 AM
:)!

AltecGreen
February 21st, 2014, 09:15 AM
I'm glad everyone is enjoying the color.

There's an interesting back story to this pen and the Toki-Iro Naka-ai.

reprieve
February 21st, 2014, 09:21 AM
It's a gorgeous color. My favorite shade of green. Congratulations!

85AKbN
February 21st, 2014, 11:05 AM
I'm glad everyone is enjoying the color.

There's an interesting back story to this pen and the Toki-Iro Naka-ai.
I'm always interested in back stories. Can you post? :)

AltecGreen
February 21st, 2014, 11:14 AM
About a year ago, I ordered pens in Hiwa Moegi and Sakura-iro.

Nakaya came back with two problems. One Sakura would be just like Toki-iro. The second was that they instituted a six pen minimum for a custom color. Nibs.com was gracious enough to order the additional five pens of each color to make the six necessary so I could have my pens. The extra pens became these two limited editions. Thus, I'm glad people are buying and enjoying these pens because nibs.com took a risk on my behalf for my crazy color ideas.

Jon Szanto
February 21st, 2014, 11:37 AM
AltecGreen, the George Soros of the pen world. :)

Laura N
February 21st, 2014, 04:51 PM
That looks so great. Congratulations. That's a fantastic pen. I have a question about the color, if you don't mind. The Hiwa Moegi green looks, in your photos, to be much darker than it looks on John Mottishaw's website -- in fact, much closer to the dark green Midori color I've always liked. I would have expected the Hiwa Moegi to be lighter than yours appears. Is it really a dark green?

AltecGreen
February 21st, 2014, 05:12 PM
Here is a comparison between a midori and hiwa-moegi

https://s2.yimg.com/sk/3829/12685487625_200f3231f9_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7953903@N03/12685487625/)

purplepencils
February 21st, 2014, 05:47 PM
thank you for sharing the backstory to the pens! how very kind of nibs.com. and of course, the lucky souls who got the remaining 5 will hopefully enjoy their pens too!

85AKbN
February 21st, 2014, 06:17 PM
About a year ago, I ordered pens in Hiwa Moegi and Sakura-iro.

Nakaya came back with two problems. One Sakura would be just like Toki-iro. The second was that they instituted a six pen minimum for a custom color. Nibs.com was gracious enough to order the additional five pens of each color to make the six necessary so I could have my pens. The extra pens became these two limited editions. Thus, I'm glad people are buying and enjoying these pens because nibs.com took a risk on my behalf for my crazy color ideas.
Great CFP service, great story. :)

earthdawn
February 21st, 2014, 06:23 PM
BIG congrats... !!!

Beautiful pen. I almost got one of these and then backed off for a few days to think about it.. and then they were gone.

These sold REALLY fast.

Glad to see one of us got one to share pics of.

ENJOY !!!!!

youstruckgold
February 26th, 2014, 04:34 AM
AltecGreen's comparison is good. It seems to depend on the light. When I look at AltecGreen's pic, I thought my pen was darker; but when I put mine under a brighter light, it's much closer to his pic.

tenney
February 26th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Sold out fast indeed -- rightly so, they're gorgeous. But, out of curiousity, how much were the pens?

earthdawn
February 26th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Sold out fast indeed -- rightly so, they're gorgeous. But, out of curiousity, how much were the pens?

http://www.nibs.com/nakaya-naka-ai-writer-hiwa-moegi-le.htm

$680

Beautiful indeed

snedwos
February 28th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Hmm, I have an idea for a finish that I would like, and would mean a lot to me. If only I had the money.

tandaina
February 28th, 2014, 07:11 PM
The color in your pictures is so much richer and more beautiful than on Nibs.com. There it looks very flat, matte and dull. The pictures here are like a shiny new leaf!

earthdawn
February 28th, 2014, 07:16 PM
The color in your pictures is so much richer and more beautiful than on Nibs.com. There it looks very flat, matte and dull. The pictures here are like a shiny new leaf!

That's it exactly !

"Like a shiny new leaf"

Could not agree more. You can really see in those pics theres a LOT more depth than you see compared to the pics on Nibs.com

tenney
March 2nd, 2014, 12:59 AM
Looking on nibs.com for the price... d'uh!
And I agree that the pics here are much more intriguing than nibs.com's of that color. Thanks.

bluefeathers
March 2nd, 2014, 11:45 AM
Beautiful color, I would love to see it in person, but these pics are a close second best. It reminds me of the color of the Pelikan hunting LE, which I've only seen in photos.