PDA

View Full Version : A collection of Nakayas and Danitrios

reprieve
February 21st, 2014, 10:40 AM
For the first time, I put all of my Nakayas and Danitrios (along with a few Platinums) together in the same pen drawer. As hard as it is to believe, I've never looked at them all together like this before. I hadn't realized, um, how many Nakayas I'd accumulated over the years. Here are some quick photos.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3668/12679207303_9f62e09895_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3732/12679067115_2b6bcc4cd5_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3815/12679206903_e99ff6cae6_z.jpg

Starting with the pens laying horizontally up top:
Nakaya Desk Pen, aka-tamenuri
Nakaya Naka-ai Writer, kuro-tamenuri
Danitrio Mae West, raw ebonite
Danitrio Sho-Hakku, ki-dame

From left to right:
Nakaya Long, heki-tamenuri ascending dragon
Nakaya Long, suzaku redbird
Nakaya Portable, spiketails (This was my first Nakaya bought used from a very nice FPNer six years ago--the pen that started my Nakaya addiction)
Nakaya Portable, sumi maki-e cherry blossoms
Nakaya Neo Standard, fox with nine tails
Nakaya Piccolo, housoge kikyo
Nakaya Piccolo, housoge shu
Nakaya Piccolo, ishi-me kanshitsu black
Nakaya Dorsal Fin Version 2, ishi-me kanshitsu suzuishi-me
Nakaya Portable, ishi-me kanshitsu heki-tamenuri
Nakaya Piccolo Decapod, ishi-me kanshitsu heki-tamenuri
Nakaya Decapod, heki-tamenuri
Nakaya Portable Writer, awai murasaki-iro
Nakaya Neo Standard, nanohana-iro
Nakaya Naka-ai, unpolished shu
Nakaya Piccolo Writer, shiro-tamenuri string-rolled
Danitrio Take-nuri Bamboo
Danitrio Densho, seirei-nuri
Danitrio Takumi, nami-nuri wine
Danitrio Takumi, silver wave
Danitrio Takumi, byakudan-nuri shishi (imaginary lions)
Danitrio Densho, Mount Horai
Danitrio Densho, sato no akari (lightning bugs)
Platinum 3776, red and black ebonite
Platinum 3776, koi celluloid
Platinum 3776, shoji demonstrator

85AKbN
February 21st, 2014, 10:47 AM
:) !

Do you have a picture, by any chance, of an uncapped Piccolo next to an uncapped Lamy 2000?

reprieve
February 21st, 2014, 10:53 AM
Do you have a picture, by any chance, of an uncapped Piccolo next to an uncapped Lamy 2000?

Yes, I happen to have such photos handy (originally posted in this FPN thread (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/184404-nakaya-decapod-and-piccolo-size-compared-to-lamy-2000/)):

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5433828211_1d87d39bb4_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5020/5434442512_c19683cebb_b.jpg

85AKbN
February 21st, 2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks reprieve. I should be able to write with an unposted Piccolo with no worries! :)

kia
February 21st, 2014, 12:07 PM
Beautiful pens! Stunning! Damn, I want more.

I know who the master was who created your Danitrio Bamboo, too. It has a "signature" spot on it that became a part of Master Masanori Omote's works. It started here:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j111/kiavonne/Pens/Danitrio%20Larkspur%20Pens/Larkspur_and_Ladybird_2.jpg (http://s78.photobucket.com/user/kiavonne/media/Pens/Danitrio%20Larkspur%20Pens/Larkspur_and_Ladybird_2.jpg.html)

tandaina
February 21st, 2014, 12:29 PM
I'm in awe of that collection. Just awe.

AltecGreen
February 21st, 2014, 01:03 PM
For the first time, I put all of my Nakayas and Danitrios (along with a few Platinums) together in the same pen drawer. As hard as it is to believe, I've never looked at them all together like this before. I hadn't realized, um, how many Nakayas I'd accumulated over the years.

You need to come to our Pen Posse Sunday. The Post-LA Pen Posse is turning into Nakaya-con. You need to check out the traffic on our Pen Posse page on FaceBook. We may have to take a group picture on Sunday of every Nakaya there.

reprieve
February 21st, 2014, 03:24 PM
For the first time, I put all of my Nakayas and Danitrios (along with a few Platinums) together in the same pen drawer. As hard as it is to believe, I've never looked at them all together like this before. I hadn't realized, um, how many Nakayas I'd accumulated over the years.

You need to come to our Pen Posse Sunday. The Post-LA Pen Posse is turning into Nakaya-con. You need to check out the traffic on our Pen Posse page on FaceBook. We may have to take a group picture on Sunday of every Nakaya there.

If I were anywhere within driving distance, I would absolutely be there! Hopefully I will make it out west to the LA Pen Show one of these days… "Go West, young [pen geek]."

And, yes, please take photos! :)

Laura N
February 21st, 2014, 04:43 PM
These look great! Congratulations on such a nice collection, and thanks for sharing it.

klpeabody
February 21st, 2014, 04:59 PM
Reprieve, I always love your show-and-tell. =)

purplepencils
February 21st, 2014, 05:49 PM
oh my goodness. what a collection! thank you for sharing.

Crazyorange
February 21st, 2014, 06:43 PM
Stunning collection. Thanks for sharing.

velo
February 21st, 2014, 07:11 PM
omg.

Thankyou for this post, especially for the comparison shots with the Lamy 2k. Almost impossible for me to see a Nakaya in person and most comparison photos only show Nakayas next to each other.

earthdawn
February 21st, 2014, 07:27 PM
HOLY SMOKES !!!!

That is just incredible .. Ill be over to play ASAP !

Seriously that is a stunning collection

ethernautrix
February 22nd, 2014, 03:00 AM
For the first time, I put all of my Nakayas and Danitrios (along with a few Platinums) together in the same pen drawer. As hard as it is to believe, I've never looked at them all together like this before. I hadn't realized, um, how many Nakayas I'd accumulated over the years. Here are some quick photos.

*Jaw drops

WOW!

Is it weird how happy this makes me feel? Hahaha. I love it! What a gorgeous collection of Nakayas and Danitrios!

Thank you for sharing, reprieve. Wow, wow, wow!

Tracy Lee
February 22nd, 2014, 04:03 AM
I think I just broke out into a sweat and I am shaking a little. What a lovely family of pens. :eek::eek::thumbup:

pengeezer
February 22nd, 2014, 07:56 PM
That neo-standard in nanohana-iro is beautiful! I'm curious though......just saw the same
color on two different Nakayas on Nibs.com,and one looks yellow(moving to a slight lime
color) while the other looks more like bamboo. How's that possible?

I should also ask--on the non Maki-e pens,is it possible to post the cap?

John

emraher
February 22nd, 2014, 08:41 PM
I think this is my first comment on this forum: HOLY S...!

Wile E Coyote
February 22nd, 2014, 08:44 PM

John

Possible, yes...recommended, no. Like diamond, urushi will scratch urushi.

pengeezer
February 22nd, 2014, 09:10 PM

John

Possible, yes...recommended, no. Like diamond, urushi will scratch urushi.

Not what I hoped for,but kinda what I figured. The only thing I can't do with a Nakaya........:cry:

John

tenney
February 22nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
Wow! I'll sound like a recording, but... Gorgeous! Splendid! Thank you.

reprieve
February 23rd, 2014, 06:39 AM
That neo-standard in nanohana-iro is beautiful! I'm curious though......just saw the same
color on two different Nakayas on Nibs.com,and one looks yellow(moving to a slight lime
color) while the other looks more like bamboo. How's that possible?

Nanohana-iro is an interesting color. Depending on the light, my pen can appear to be lime green, mustard yellow, or lemon yellow. It's a pretty cool effect. Perhaps some of those differences that you see on Nibs.com are due to variances in their lighting set-up during photography. That said, I do know that the Ama-iro color varies quite a bit from pen to pen (some are a light sky blue while others are a bright turquoise); I would assume that there are similar color variances for Nanohana-iro and Awai Murasaki-iro.

I admit that I have occasionally posted the cap of my ishi-me kanshitsu Mini Decapod. I haven't seen any marks from it. But generally I don't post my Nakayas (nor most pens in general), and I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do so. John Mottishaw and Nakaya advise against it, saying that it will eventually mar the urushi finish.

leighpod
February 25th, 2014, 11:44 PM
AO tamenuri varies too, from greenish to bluish. And newer heki tamenuri are lighter than older, same with shiro tamenuri.

ladynib302
February 26th, 2014, 01:12 AM
Do you offer "Rent-a-Pen? Wow! Truly great collection; thanks for sharing!

Jon Szanto
February 26th, 2014, 01:29 AM
Depending on the light, my pen can appear to be lime green, mustard yellow, or lemon yellow.

It's funny: you almost make that sound like a plus.

tiffanyhenschel
February 26th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Depending on the light, my pen can appear to be lime green, mustard yellow, or lemon yellow.

It's funny: you almost make that sound like a plus.

I had the privilege of helping John Mottishaw at the Nibs.com table at a pen show. I'm sure others who have several different colors of Nakayas have noticed this, too, but as the light changed from morning to afternoon to evening, the colors on the pens shifted subtly. I may not have noticed it if we weren't by a window or if I hadn't been at the table all day, but it was beautiful to notice the changes and made me want to own a rainbow of different finishes.

ukulelecraig
March 2nd, 2014, 04:59 PM
Beautiful collection!!!!

jde
March 4th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Woa! So glad you decided to put them all together.

Of course you've one of my favs: the Danitrio in ki-dame. LOVE your Nakaya Piccolo shiro-tamenuri string-rolled pen! Surprisingly intrigued by your Danitrio Take-nuri Bamboo. What a beautiful looking pen that is.