PDA

View Full Version : On writing replies

ypsilanti
February 21st, 2014, 09:42 PM
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10112&stc=1

As I begin my weekend, there 31 wonderful letters and cards presently awaiting my replies. (Thank you!) I aim to write about a dozen letters this weekend (as I did last weekend), so many of these will still be in the queue next weekend (and the next). And more come in all the time. (I love it!)

When I jumped into letter-writing, I jumped in with both feet – and at times felt pressured; felt I was getting behind when I couldn’t answer in a timely manner (whatever that means). After making apologies, several kind correspondents told me to relax. So this is for you new folks, who may be feeling a bit overwhelmed by now: It doesn’t matter how many letters you have yet to answer, you are not behind. Because there are no deadlines, you see. When you respond to my letter in three weeks or three months, please do not apologize for not writing sooner. We have jobs and families and classes and chores. Do not write letters while feeling pressured because that takes the pleasure out of it. And we’re doing this because we enjoy it. I’ll always be happy to hear from you, no matter how long it takes for your letter to arrive. So relax and have fun!

Bogon07
February 23rd, 2014, 08:08 PM
deadlines, deadlines all in the mind.

ypsilanti
February 23rd, 2014, 09:14 PM

Thank you, Mr Bogon.
I wanted to get a letter out to you this weekend, but the newbies ruled. Soon, dear Sir, soon.
(I wish I could deliver it myself! Your weather looks dreamy.)

Bogon07
February 24th, 2014, 02:59 AM
Not quite dreamy more tropically humid

Mags
February 24th, 2014, 06:26 AM

I have finally got your reply letter composed. It should be posted later today.

ThriveToScribe
February 24th, 2014, 10:56 PM
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10112&stc=1

As I begin my weekend, there 31 wonderful letters and cards presently awaiting my replies. (Thank you!) I aim to write about a dozen letters this weekend (as I did last weekend), so many of these will still be in the queue next weekend (and the next). And more come in all the time. (I love it!)

When I jumped into letter-writing, I jumped in with both feet – and at times felt pressured; felt I was getting behind when I couldn’t answer in a timely manner (whatever that means). After making apologies, several kind correspondents told me to relax. So this is for you new folks, who may be feeling a bit overwhelmed by now: It doesn’t matter how many letters you have yet to answer, you are not behind. Because there are no deadlines, you see. When you respond to my letter in three weeks or three months, please do not apologize for not writing sooner. We have jobs and families and classes and chores. Do not write letters while feeling pressured because that takes the pleasure out of it. And we’re doing this because we enjoy it. I’ll always be happy to hear from you, no matter how long it takes for your letter to arrive. So relax and have fun!

Brilliant post, Thank you! After all, letters are not emails which by nature are instantaneous---that's the beauty of Pen and Ink and Paper (stamps, wax seals....etc) :tea:

jfsisler
February 25th, 2014, 05:06 AM
Love Mr. Penguin - and I happen to agree with him!

kaisnowbird
February 28th, 2014, 07:42 AM
What a wonderful post this is!

To me, writing a letter is like having the space to breathe, a tranquil corner to contemplate. These places are certainly not compatible with deadlines.

ndw76
March 4th, 2014, 01:33 AM
For me, if it is fun I will get it done sooner. But as soon as a deadline is applied I start to procrastinate and the fun goes away.

Better to take your time and have fun