PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a three-point pen policy?

ethernautrix
February 22nd, 2014, 02:44 AM
Many thanks to GabrielleDuVent at fpn who posted this video in a thread there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prNQrG_M-ZY&feature=youtu.be&t=5s

Tracy Lee
February 22nd, 2014, 04:09 AM
LOL!!! That was funny. Just the looks on their faces when he starts talking seem so familiar to me!

85AKbN
February 22nd, 2014, 05:21 AM
there are no people with pens of mine... :)

reprieve
February 22nd, 2014, 06:58 AM
That other guy broke the pen. On purpose! Them's fightin' words.

Lady Onogaro
February 22nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
I liked when he said that he knew the guy would break it, so the pen was "dead" to him when he gave it up. But you could see he was serious about pens at the moment they showed his face after the mean guy broke the pen.

VertOlive
February 22nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
Yes.

1) I know the whereabouts of each one at all times.

2) I keep a ballpoint to lend.

3) I only allow FP people to handle my pens; "No" is a word in my vocabulary-my pen boundaries are very well defined.

scrivelry
February 22nd, 2014, 12:22 PM
No.

But then, there is generally no one around who needs to borrow a pen, so we can say I have not been challenged.

I can say that if I did have a three point pen policy, it would not apply to cheap stick pens. (I know. Heartless. I cringe to see it written, but, true...)

caribbean_skye
February 22nd, 2014, 12:42 PM
Uhm, I have a cheapie fp (pilot petit1) to lend out, otherwise its "no, paws off". That video was great. I'm sure all of us pen people knew he was telling the truth.

KrazyIvan
February 22nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
Luckily I can pull the pen out of their hand with my "Force" powers. I have yet to move to the "Force" choke because once they see the light saber, they back away.

ethernautrix
February 22nd, 2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks to Gabrielle, I watched at least a dozen clips on YouTube, and I couldn't tell when David Mitchell was lying.

The teddy bear clip was suspenseful.

kaisnowbird
February 23rd, 2014, 01:18 AM
Does the fact that David's three-point policy covers all his pens (mostly ballpoints, I'd imagine) make him a bigger pen geek than the average man/woman among us?

PS. I have a pen-holder full of multi-colour fineliners at my office desk, purely for lending.

amk
February 23rd, 2014, 07:56 AM
Yes, I have a three point pen policy.
1. Buy more.
2. Buy more.
2. Love the ones I have.
:-)

Mags
February 24th, 2014, 06:15 AM
AMK. Plus 1 on your policy.

inlovewithjournals
February 24th, 2014, 06:48 AM
As a Technical Editor I am forced to use a certain type of pen (Pilot Hi-Tec Point V5) to make hard copy edits, and they must be in a certain colour (turquoise). No one ever asks to borrow a pen because a) they've also been assigned a colour and b) we have dozens of them available about 3 feet from where I sit.

However when said people want to admire my fountain pens, I have one rule: You may try it out but the pen never leaves my sight. Takes care of the borrowing issue.

Love David Mitchell and it makes me happy to know he's a fellow pen enthusiast.

Flounder
March 23rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
From now on, I vow to have a three thread pen policy. This will be a loop of thread slipped onto the clip. Depending on the colour, the thread will signify:

1. Inked
2. Filled with water
3. Clean, dry and empty.

Edit - make that a two thread policy. It would get on my nerves writing with thread under the clip. So no thread means 'inked and ready to go'.

scrivelry
March 23rd, 2014, 10:01 PM
Why do you keep some filled with water?

tandaina
March 24th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I have a couple pens with cork seals (piston fillers) that if not kept filled with water dry out, the seal shrinks and they don't create a vacuum, so can't fill and if you do manage to fill they just leak. So those stay filled with water to keep the cork hydrated and healthy.

Flounder
March 24th, 2014, 01:11 PM
My pens usually sit nib up in a sort of holey pen block. This is great for keeping feeds & snork tubes unclogged, and looks nice as a sort of mini bonzai pen forest on my desk. It also mean that the ends of sacs and diaphragms spend a lot of time in contact with ink. By filling them with water every so often, my rationale is that the very end of the sac/diaphragm gets a good clean - something that's not always guaranteed with normal flushing.

The only pen I have that may have a cork gasket, I've yet to open... but sometimes slow and steady wins the race!

scrivelry
March 24th, 2014, 04:38 PM
This also makes perfect sense! Thank you! I have a few things lying around that probably need this treatment...

Tsuki yo
March 27th, 2014, 02:10 PM
1) the Pilot V-tec 5mm is my lending pen
2) the Pilot does not leave my sight
3) no you may not use my fountain pen

I'm a bit of a stickler, and for some reason only strangers tend to ask me for a pen (I spend a lot of time in cafe's and libraries), so they don't get to touch the FPs.

spotted and speckled
March 27th, 2014, 02:37 PM
My 3 point pen policy:

1--Yes, you may borrow my cheap fountain pen, but only if I hold the cap while you use it. Minimal risk.
2--I put better pens away from public view when strangers come around until I have determined if it safe for them to come out. Risk analysis.
3--And my favorite/oldest/best pens never leave my hands or stay home where it is safe. High risk in public.

I spend a fair amount of time in coffeeshops too, and have ballpoint pens readily available to lend. I have a standup zippered pen holder I got from jetpens, and if I get up, it gets zipped and thrown in the purse and they all go with me. I never leave any pen on a table.

Love the video! I love that he came out of the pen closet.

alc3261
March 27th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Many thanks to GabrielleDuVent at fpn who posted this video in a thread there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prNQrG_M-ZY&feature=youtu.be&t=5s

I saw this live and I quite agreed with him!!