PDA

View Full Version : Free Field Notes - Today Only (May 16th US Central Time)

KrazyIvan
May 16th, 2012, 09:55 AM
http://fieldnotesbrand.com/

Today is Wednesday. Buy anything today and get a Red-Blooded 3pack free. But hurry, we’re pretty sure Thursday will roll in sometime later tonight.

etoyoc
May 16th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Is there a code you have for this offer? I am not seeing the offer on their site. Never mind, I see it now...

Thanks for the heads up!

goldiesdad
May 21st, 2012, 09:37 PM
Wow missed this one by only a week ...

etoyoc
May 22nd, 2012, 04:25 AM
I received mine in the mail yesterday. Great timing on the offer as I had just realized that I was on the last pages of my last pocket notebook.

KrazyIvan
May 22nd, 2012, 08:22 AM
I have read that the paper has gone through another revision and is more fountain pen friendly. Is that true, in your opinion?

etoyoc
May 22nd, 2012, 03:06 PM
I haven't written in the new notebooks much, but Benevolent Badger Blue was well behaved on the paper today. I will try with some different inks and nibs when I get home tonight.

etoyoc
May 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
OK, I just wrote in one of the new red field notes notebooks with 12 pens using 10 inks. Most of the pens had a F nib; however, I used a Konrad flex, two M nibs and two 1.5 nibs in the test.

The paper is thin...

Noodlers Gruene Cactus and Antietam both feather a little. I had no feathering with Noodlers B&B Benevolent Badger Blue, Noodlers B&B 5 O'Clock Shadow, Noodlers Nikita, Diamine Syrah, Noodlers Habanero, Diamine Mediterranean Blue, J. Herbin Eclat De Saphir or J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage. If I am just using this paper to write notes to myself, lists, etc... then the small amount of feathering that I received with Antietam and Gruene Cactus is acceptable. I certainly get worse feathering on cheap copy paper.

J. Herbin Eclat De Saphir, J. Herbin Lierra Sauvagem Noodlers Habanero and Noodler's Antietam show through enough that two sided writing could be impractical.

When flexing the Konrad (loaded with Antietam) there were some spots of bleed through. With as thin as the paper is, I am not surprised. However, I was surprised when Noodlers Nikita on both Lamy and Kaweco 1.5 nibs didn't feather or show through at all. Until a drop of water fell on the paper - at that point it did show through in that spot.

So, is the paper fountain pen friendly? Yes.. and No. It is friendly to certain inks, but not others. I wouldn't use it with a Noodler's flex or any pen that I would be tempted to use pressure on the paper. I still don't get why my wetter pens (M nibs and 1.5 stubs didn't feather or bleed). Maybe those inks just work better with this paper. But maybe I am using pressure with the EF and F nibs and that is the culprit.

Either way, for the purposed of a pocket notebook, this paper will do what it needs to do. It isn't Rhodia paper, but then again - ink appears to dry faster and be less likely to smear when jotting a quick note and putting the notebook back in a pocket. They will work for my needs. But then again, it is a good thing as I have 6 of the red notebooks now.

KrazyIvan
May 22nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for that take on the Field Notes. It seems about the same as my experience!