PDA

View Full Version : Where do y'all go for nib regrinds?

twieleba
February 23rd, 2014, 01:32 PM
I'd like to get my M 144 reground to a stub or cursive italic and I was thinking about using Pendleton Brown. Anyone have experience with him and MB nibs? Or recommendations for other nib meisters preferably with a quick turn-around time.

Doodi1
February 24th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Try Mike Musayama at http://www.mikeitwork.com/
He is very good and has a reasonable turn-around.

Tracy Lee
February 24th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I just had two of my pens worked on by our own @dannzeman. One palladium for a stub grind, one gold for a baby's bottom and flow issues. Back in a week and I am thrilled. His communication is great along the way, too.

tiffanyhenschel
February 24th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Dan has not worked on any of my pens yet, so this in no way reflects upon his work. I will be sending him a couple of pens soon.

I have had grinds done by five different nibmeisters in the US, and the only two that I recommend without hesitation are Mike Masuyama and John Mottishaw. The wait time is longer, especially for John, but it is worth it.

tandaina
February 24th, 2014, 12:54 PM
John is wonderful but I have only ever had him grind a pen I bought from him, have not sent him pens. Somewhere on their website it implied they were no longer taking outside pens?

My go to person is Pendleton Brown. He's quick and has done good work for me. And he's just an all round personable guy.

kia
February 24th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Richard Binder has stopped taking outside pens, but I believe John Mottishaw still does.

joiedwards
February 24th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Greg Minuskin in Irvine, California.
Pendleton Brown
Mike Masayama

welch
February 26th, 2014, 07:59 PM
I have used all three: they are very good. Consider, also:

- Tim Girdler (just finished two P51s and a Sheaffer)

- Pendemonium. I forget the name of their "nib grinder", but she worked on nibs at Sheaffer.

tiffanyhenschel
February 26th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Richard Binder has stopped taking outside pens, but I believe John Mottishaw still does.

This is correct. The wait is several months long for John, but if you have a valuable or rare nib, (or one that has been damaged by someone else) the wait will be worth it.

BMG
February 26th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Ditto to those who recommend John Mottishaw and Michael Masuyama. Both do top notch work IME.

Ed44
April 14th, 2014, 12:58 PM
John Mottishaw has done several of my pens and they all turned out great.

tintak
April 14th, 2014, 06:22 PM
John Mottishaw has done five 14K nibs, two stubs & three CIs.
Mike Masuyama has modified three gold italics for me.
Recently Pendleton Brown has re-ground three stainless un-tipped "Butter-line" stubs for my Edison PWC Pearl. The last one arrived just today,... a wonderfully smooth stub of about 0.8 mm.

Each of these pen guys has his own special style. My limited experience suggests that nib grinding is more of an "art" than a "science".
Their nibs have turned out to be excellent writers.

Ed333
June 6th, 2014, 06:21 PM

Mr. Binder won't even take a pen originally purchased from him.

dgator
June 6th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Try Mike Musayama at http://www.mikeitwork.com/
He is very good and has a reasonable turn-around.

I had the pleasure of taking my nib to be ground by Mike in person at last month's Chicago Pen Show. He does fantastic work. I recommend him without hesitation.

Uncle Bud
June 9th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I have just received a fine butter line stub TWSBI mini from Pendleton Brown and I would seriously recommend his work, my pen is just awesome.