PDA

View Full Version : Which ink and paper?

chojo
February 24th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Hi guys, I was wondering which ink and paper you use for calligraphy practice? I'm just starting out and am using Manuscript Practice pads and Manuscript ink but I find them almost impossible to use The feathering is Horrendous and leaves some of the words completely illegible which strikes me as strange considering they're made for the job I'm using a speedball holder with either a leaonardt or gillot nibs. Any help or suggestions greatly received.

sangrisano
February 28th, 2014, 05:42 AM
I use Clairefontaine paper, either 90 or 120 gr./sqm. The 120gr. is too thick to see clearly the guidesheet beneath, both are incredibly smooth. No signs of feathering and bleedthru, whatever ink I use.

RuiFromUK
February 28th, 2014, 06:18 AM
When I start practicing a new hand I use layout paper which I usually buy from Cas Art stores, otherwise the cheapest non-feathering paper I can find.

Depending on which hand you are practicing you should get (more or less) appropriate materials including penholders and nibs. For example, when practicing Copperplate I tend to use an oblique penholder although I have also used straight penholders. My suggestion is to have a look at scribblers.co.uk as they have a very large range of materials and information threads.

As to the ink I am not really fussed as I have fountain pen inks that I tend to use for this purpose as well. I started with black ink but nowadays I use anything that I fancy at the time.

If you need more information please let us know.

p.s. No affiliation to the companies mentioned except as a buyer.

chojo
March 1st, 2014, 06:50 AM
Thanks for replying, i've already used scribblers for some things such as nibs and holders it's the paper I'm really having problems with when you say non feathering are there any particular brands you use that you would recommend I know you said cass art stores but as they're only in London I can't use them. Do you know if any of the brands you use are available at hobby craft or some other national store?