PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Amazonas and other Exotic Leather-Covered Fountain Pens

David Augustus
February 24th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help from some of the Japanese pen aficionados here.

In 1973, Platinum Pen Company introduced the Amazonas pen (model number PAM-8000), which was covered in Surinam toad skin. I attach a picture from the Platinum catalog showing the different colors in which the pen was offered. The following year, Platinum introduced other varieties of the same pen, the PSN series, which were covered in crocodile leather, lizard skin, shark skin, and snake skin.

Does anyone on the forum have one of these pens? Can you share a picture and tell me where or how you found it? The toad skin pen comes up occasionally on auction sites, but I have never seen the others, and don't even know what they look like.

By the way, Sailor, at around the same time, introduced an ostrich leather-covered fountain pen. I would love to see that as well.

Thanks for reading.

Jon Szanto
February 24th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I think AltecGreen (Ricky) showed a leather pen recently. Ricky?

AltecGreen
February 24th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I did buy a leather pen in LA but it was Wyvern in crocodile skin from ca. 1946. The Wyverns came in a variety of skins and predate the Japanese pens.

In terms of the Platinum Amazonas, I've handled three of the four colors shown above. I did not buy them at the time because there were problems with the pens. I think this was at a PPPC meeting a few years ago. I do have one sheep skin Platinum from later in the 1970's and one Pilot leather pen.

For pictures, I would suggest looking at Andy Lambrou's Fountain Pens of Japan. There are a few pictures and a few paragraphs on the subject of the Amazonas. Some of the Japanese pen books probably have some pictures too.

As for buying, these pens fall under the same general class as other non-American made pens. They were not sold in the US so they are not common in the wild. The best place to look for them is Yahoo Auctions Japan (the equivalent to eBay in the US). You will find tons of 70's Japanese pens on that site.

Here is a Pilot leather pen
http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p388385531

Here is a painted Platinum sheep skin pen
http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w96988211

The only issue with Yahoo Auctions Japan is that most sellers will not ship to the US. Thus, you will need to use a proxy service. This is really only cost effective if you are going to be buying a lot of stuff from Japanese auction sites. Shipping is a consideration as is the language barrier.

Otherwise, keep a look out on eBay. Unfortunately, there has been a surge of interests in these pens in US and given the difficulties sourcing them, bidding may become competitive. The non-toad skin Amazonas are going to be hard to find on eBay. You have to be patient.

Pen shows are hit and miss for non-modern production Japanese pens. In LA, I was looking for a few 70's Japanese pens for a friend and came up empty. I found a few including the Bible quotations pen I needed for my collection but I saw maybe 20-30 pens from that era (and not the ones I needed) versus thousands and thousands of vintage American pens. To be honest, I've handled more Parker Aztecs than Platinum Amazonas pens. It is the nature of collecting vintage fountain pens from Asia or Europe in the US.

One suggestion is to contact someone like Eizo Fujii of Eurobox (http://www.euro-box.com/) to see if he can source a pen. Alternatively, post a WTB on the various pen forums and see if you get any bites.

Jon Szanto
February 24th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Well, at least I got the leather part right... :)

kia
February 24th, 2014, 02:02 PM
These are real leather covered pens? Another issue with the US may be their import. Exotics are often confiscated.

David Augustus
February 24th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I did buy a leather pen in LA but it was Wyvern in crocodile skin from ca. 1946. The Wyverns came in a variety of skins and predate the Japanese pens.

In terms of the Platinum Amazonas, I've handled three of the four colors shown above. I did not buy them at the time because there were problems with the pens. I think this was at a PPPC meeting a few years ago. I do have one sheep skin Platinum from later in the 1970's and one Pilot leather pen.

For pictures, I would suggest looking at Andy Lambrou's Fountain Pens of Japan. There are a few pictures and a few paragraphs on the subject of the Amazonas. Some of the Japanese pen books probably have some pictures too.

As for buying, these pens fall under the same general class as other non-American made pens. They were not sold in the US so they are not common in the wild. The best place to look for them is Yahoo Auctions Japan (the equivalent to eBay in the US). You will find tons of 70's Japanese pens on that site.

The only issue with Yahoo Auctions Japan is that most sellers will not ship to the US. Thus, you will need to use a proxy service. This is really only cost effective if you are going to be buying a lot of stuff from Japanese auction sites. Shipping is a consideration as is the language barrier.

Otherwise, keep a look out on eBay. Unfortunately, there has been a surge of interests in these pens in US and given the difficulties sourcing them, bidding may become competitive. The non-toad skin Amazonas are going to be hard to find on eBay. You have to be patient.

Pen shows are hit and miss for non-modern production Japanese pens. In LA, I was looking for a few 70's Japanese pens for a friend and came up empty. I found a few including the Bible quotations pen I needed for my collection but I saw maybe 20-30 pens from that era (and not the ones I needed) versus thousands and thousands of vintage American pens. To be honest, I've handled more Parker Aztecs than Platinum Amazonas pens. It is the nature of collecting vintage fountain pens from Asia or Europe in the US.

One suggestion is to contact someone like Eizo Fujii of Eurobox (http://www.euro-box.com/) to see if he can source a pen. Alternatively, post a WTB on the various pen forums and see if you get any bites.

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I have become very familiar with Yahoo Japan, and have just received a few EMS packages from Buyee, the proxy bidding service, today. I found my Platinum Amazonas in toad skin there, and it is very nice, but very used...it had decades of dried ink within the feed and nib; the cartridge was full of dried ink, and I had to soak it first to loosen it from the feed. It will definitely be a user for me...I have another toad Amazonas, in another color, in mint condition, with the price tag still attached.

I am going to Tokyo next week for a short vacation, and I think I will write Eizo at Eurobox and ask whether he can find any of the other more exotic leather-covered pens from Platinum's catalog. I had written Taizo at Engeika (I must be one of his best customers by now), and he said it was impossible to find these pens now, but I think that this probably not entirely accurate. Patience, though, is the key...you are right. Maybe when I least expect it, one will pop up ;).

Like you, I did not see many Japanese vintage pens at the LA Show this year, but I was happy to meet the owner of Stylo Art, whom I found to be delightful. I bought one of his creations in palo santo, an aromatic hardwood I used to come across all the time in Paraguay when I was there in the 1980s.

Thanks again for your help...and if you ever come across one of these Amazonas pens somewhere, please do let me know ;).

David Augustus
February 24th, 2014, 08:25 PM
These are real leather covered pens? Another issue with the US may be their import. Exotics are often confiscated.

Hi there,

These pens are indeed covered with authentic leather from animals such as Surinam toad (a very strange animal indeed...look it up on wikipedia), crocodile and shark. From what I understand, none of these leathers appear on the CITES list and they can legally be imported into the States.

AltecGreen
February 24th, 2014, 09:06 PM
I am going to Tokyo next week for a short vacation, and I think I will write Eizo at Eurobox and ask whether he can find any of the other more exotic leather-covered pens from Platinum's catalog. I had written Taizo at Engeika (I must be one of his best customers by now), and he said it was impossible to find these pens now, but I think that this probably not entirely accurate. Patience, though, is the key...you are right. Maybe when I least expect it, one will pop up ;).

Like you, I did not see many Japanese vintage pens at the LA Show this year, but I was happy to meet the owner of Stylo Art, whom I found to be delightful. I bought one of his creations in palo santo, an aromatic hardwood I used to come across all the time in Paraguay when I was there in the 1980s.

Taizo might not be wrong. It is getting harder to find these pens.

There were not many 70's era vintage Japanese pens at the recent LA show. Stan had a bunch of pens he was selling but many are high dollar value silver pens. Mr. Prenton had a large number of older vintage Japanese pens including many maki-e pens.
You could also try contacting Mr. Prenton since he lives in Tokyo. His e-mail address is prenton@jcom.home.ne.jp

pengeezer
February 24th, 2014, 09:14 PM
There is one on fleabay right now with a BIN or best offer. www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Platinum-Amazonas-Leather-18K-M-Nib-Foiuntain-Pen/201035208950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2ecea1d8f6

I should mention that they look a little different than the ones pictured.

John

AltecGreen
February 24th, 2014, 09:16 PM
There is one on fleabay right now with a BIN or best offer. www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Platinum-Amazonas-Leather-18K-M-Nib-Foiuntain-Pen/201035208950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2ecea1d8f6

John

Unfortunately, that is not an Amazonas pen. It is a slightly later 70's sheep skin pen. Same family but not a pen with the exotic leather.

pengeezer
February 24th, 2014, 09:23 PM

John

Unfortunately, that is not an Amazonas pen. It is a slightly later 70's sheep skin pen. Same family but not a pen with the exotic leather.

Obviously I know as much as the one selling the pen.:confused:

John

kia
February 24th, 2014, 10:47 PM

Hi there,

These pens are indeed covered with authentic leather from animals such as Surinam toad (a very strange animal indeed...look it up on wikipedia), crocodile and shark. From what I understand, none of these leathers appear on the CITES list and they can legally be imported into the States.

Ah, ok. :)

David Augustus
February 26th, 2014, 07:13 AM

You found a Wyvern in crocodile skin at the LA Show? I've been looking for one of those, too. Where did you see it? I must have been suffering from sensory overload to miss it.

AltecGreen
February 26th, 2014, 08:50 AM
You found a Wyvern in crocodile skin at the LA Show? I've been looking for one of those, too. Where did you see it? I must have been suffering from sensory overload to miss it.

I bought it from Hirsch Davis on Thursday. For the interesting vintage pens, it helps to be there early and to know the dealers. I get to LA on Wednesday so I'm there at 8:00 am on Thursday.

David Augustus
February 26th, 2014, 10:02 AM

I bought it from Hirsch Davis on Thursday. For the interesting vintage pens, it helps to be there early and to know the dealers. I get to LA on Wednesday so I'm there at 8:00 am on Thursday.

Good point! I need to do that. If you ever come across one again that you don't want, would you let me know ? ;)

AltecGreen
February 26th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Good point! I need to do that. If you ever come across one again that you don't want, would you let me know ? ;)

No problem. It is what I do.

penwash
October 9th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Resurrecting this old thread with new content.

I just got a pen that thanks to Ricky's pointer, I was able to find the exact model in Mr. Lambrou's book:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4487/37337738430_e75169c522_c.jpg

Scooby921
October 17th, 2017, 08:08 AM
That's quite unique! Very nice.