PDA

View Full Version : Nakaya Portable Cigar Kuro-Tamenuri and Pen Pillow

PeppWaves03
May 17th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I just got my first Nakaya and I am completely in love. It was a graduation present from my parents for finishing up law school. The pictures were taken with my iphone so they arent the best quality but I wanted to share. I bought the pen from nibs.com and it writes beautifully. As I got the cigar model, without a click, I decided to purchase the pen pillow as well. The pen pillow is also in the Kuro-Tamenuri color scheme as well.

KrazyIvan
May 17th, 2012, 01:53 PM
That is one beautiful pen!

fountainpenkid
May 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM
whoaa! veryy purrty!

Bogon07
May 17th, 2012, 05:15 PM
wow your Nakaya has an incredible minimalist purity to it. Like an alien artifact. The pen-pillow is cute; for some reason I expected to see some type of cushioning material in the resting groove.

Are you going to take advantage of their customisation offer ?

The iPhone photos came out pretty good.

goldiesdad
May 18th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Great pen and Congrats on graduation ... Big Accomplishments in life deserve a great reward ...

PeppWaves03
May 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys! I did in fact go for the minimalist look to the pen. I find many modern pens have too mush flash on the exterior. I like the more subdued look that will last for decades to come.

I actually have sent the nib back after using it for the last couple of days. I found the nib to be a bit too toothy for my liking and sent a copy of my handwriting along with some concerns to nibs.com My biggest concern was that on the up stroke and when I wrote a line right to left the ink would get really thin. We shall see what John M. can do for me. A little bit of disappointment but thats why you get the service from nibs.com

Chi Town
May 19th, 2012, 08:28 AM
When you get the pen back, you'll have to finish your Review with a writing sample so we can all see how nice this pen writes. I Myself have a Nakaya Decapod Cigar in the Aka - Tamenuri finish. It is just to die for, as is your's. They write like noting else you will have in your stable of pens. he only thing close in my stable is my Danitrio Mikado and Genkai. But those nibs are completely different than the Nakaya. Have FUN!

PeppWaves03
May 19th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Chi Town: what type of nib size did you get? Did you do the flex or the normal?

dannzeman
May 19th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Congrats on the pen! That's awesome. Oh, and good job on finishing that law school thing, too. :clap2:

Maaistro
May 21st, 2012, 02:38 PM
Own a Nakaya Kumo tamenuri piccolo cigar myself. Really nice pen.
Congratulatuons.!

Does your pen smells (Ebonite) à lot?
Mine does. Cant say I like the smell :(

PeppWaves03
May 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM
Mine didn't smell like ebonite at all. Did you get yours from nibs.com? I would've thought with the laquer they put on the smell would've gone away.

Chi Town
May 22nd, 2012, 08:22 AM
Chi Town: what type of nib size did you get? Did you do the flex or the normal?

My nib feels like a medium, however, I purchased my pen on a super deal 2nd hand. When I questioned the seller about the nib, he told me that even John M. Had a bit of difficulty explaining the nibs excentrities to him. So one of these days, I have my sellers name, I will call nibs.com and see if they wil look up the original paper work and tell me more about the nib.

danahn17
May 30th, 2012, 08:42 PM
My nib feels like a medium, however, I purchased my pen on a super deal 2nd hand. When I questioned the seller about the nib, he told me that even John M. Had a bit of difficulty explaining the nibs excentrities to him. So one of these days, I have my sellers name, I will call nibs.com and see if they wil look up the original paper work and tell me more about the nib.

In terms of nib thickness, there should be some Japanese characters on your nib that will tell you what the original nib was. John from nibs.com has a table on this webpage: http://www.nibs.com/NakayaNibsPage.htm

That being said, if the nib was ground or whatever, all bets are off :P

Chi Town
May 31st, 2012, 08:39 AM
In terms of nib thickness, there should be some Japanese characters on your nib that will tell you what the original nib was. John from nibs.com has a table on this webpage: http://www.nibs.com/NakayaNibsPage.htm

That being said, if the nib was ground or whatever, all bets are off :P

I'm downstairs right now, when I go upstairs to my office in a little bit, I'll check this out. But I'm pretty sure the nib was ground. Maybe today will be the day I'll call nibs.com to see if they can give me more info on what they did to the nib from the original buyer. That would be way kool.

I contacted nibs.com and they told me that the nib, that the original buyer put on the Nakaya, was just a medium and nothing special past that. Aghhhh......But I gotta tell ya, it writes like not a normal medium, it feels like there is some flex too it. But maybe I just forgot to ask about that flex question?

Okami
August 11th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Lovely - I have the piccolo in heke tamenuri - enjoy!!!

Need to check out that pen pillow.

writingrav
August 12th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I just got my first Nakaya and I am completely in love. It was a graduation present from my parents for finishing up law school. The pictures were taken with my iphone so they arent the best quality but I wanted to share. I bought the pen from nibs.com and it writes beautifully. As I got the cigar model, without a click, I decided to purchase the pen pillow as well. The pen pillow is also in the Kuro-Tamenuri color scheme as well.

Sorry to be a bit late on this one, but that is a stunning pen and the accompanying accouterments are wonderful. Congratulations on graduation and enjoy the pen. It will look great in the pen rest on your desk.

drgoretex
August 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Oooooooo - sweet pen!

Congrats on your graduation (as belated as it is - I see this is a somewhat resurrected post), and on your new Nakaya! One day, I will have one of those beauties!

Ken

etoyoc
August 14th, 2012, 09:01 AM
A belated congratulations on your graduation.

That is a beautiful and stunning pen! I love the aesthetic of the Nakaya line.