PDA

View Full Version : My Newest...and Oldest..Sailor

David Augustus
February 24th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Hi friends!

I received a few EMS packages today, and one of them contained the newest addition to my Sailor rotation. I found it on the famous auction site, where the seller claimed it was from the 1940s, but I have no idea whether that is accurate. Can any of you identify the pen? That knowledge would make me happy.

The pen bears the name Sailor in white on the barrel, but not on the nib. It has a plain aluminum or silver-plated cap and a 14K yellow gold wraparound nib reminiscent of S.T. Dupont. The thing I really like about the pen stylistically is the juxtaposition of the white inlay on the section against the black barrel; it reminds me of a tuxedo or piano keys. This pen has an EF tip, and it belonged to someone named M. Ihara, whose name is engraved in cursive Roman script on the barrel.

The filling system is a squeeze sac. I had to spend about an hour flushing out decades of dried-out ink from the bladder, feed and nib. I can't even believe how much clumped-up gunk came out. Now that it is flushed, the pen writes a very fine line, but I will take it with me to Tokyo next week to ask one of the nibmeisters to tweak it just a bit.

Enjoy!

AltecGreen
February 24th, 2014, 08:59 PM
The seller is wrong about the date. The nib has the JIS mark which dates it no earlier than 1954.

The pen is most likely a FC or KC series metal cap pen that was introduced in the 1950's.