PDA

View Full Version : Salt Rubbing from the Colonies

Potter
February 25th, 2014, 07:37 AM
The day started brightly enough, the postman brought a batch of mail, oh lovely, foreign stamps, yes it's InCoWriMo, another three... hoorah, then I looked more closely... what the heck... gasp... shock horror from Australia, look at that stamp, oh the shame, it nearly went in the bin without being opened, what were you thinking Bogon07? :cry:

Seriously many thanks to Ken for what is the most interesting, colourful and entertaining post of the whole InCoWriMo month so far, but I'm confused about the hand painted rhinos?

scrivelry
February 25th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Am I allowed to be totally confused? If so, I'd like to start now, please!:)

Dreck
February 25th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Ha ha ha!! A little bitter, Potter? I have some friends in Colorado who'd probably be a touch bent if I used Superbowl stamps.

Really, Mr. Bogon, that was most insensitive of you. ;)

Bogon07
February 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM
That letter transited to UK very fast !
Sorry about the stamp. I agree it is a bit over the top, not really cricket to rub it in like that, you know 5-0 and all that.
And for them to waste paper printing the non-postage stamp sized Australia's Ashes Victory as well.
Otherwise it would have been the Royal baby stamp. At least the PO now seems to have gone back to the BushBabies series.
Really I should buy a bunch of smaller value stamps to try and make the envelope look more interesting.

Taronga Zoo has a Rhino awareness campaign with a trail of painted Rhino sculptures from Sydney to Dubbo.
Running from about the time InCoWriMo kicked off. This seemed to go well with Anderson Pen's Ink-a-Rhino stationery range.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/5769-Taronga-Zoo-(Australia)-Painted-Rhinos-also-starts-in-Feb2014
Direct Zoo link:
http://taronga.org.au/wild-rhinos/artists

Wild! Rhinos Artists Program

In April last year Taronga put out a call out to artists requesting submissions for rhino designs. We were delighted when we received over 150 individual designs. A big thank you to all the artists that submitted design.
The artists committee then met to make a shortlist of designs and 85 designs were selected for sponsors to choose from.
Well done to all those artists who designs were chosen and thank you for all your hard work bringing your designs to life.
The rhinos will create a trail from Sydney to Dubbo and surrounds from 2nd February to 28th April. Get out and about and pick your favourite.
At the end of the trail, on the 14th May at The Star, Pyrmont the life-sized rhino sculptures will go under the hammer at a charity auction to raise critical funding for Taronga’s rhino conservation programs.

Dreck, I apologise for the lateness of your reply as I'm still trying to think up something equally insensitive for your letter. It has been moving around the house all month with only your address & a salutation. :(

Dreck
February 25th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Dreck, I apologise for the lateness of your reply as I'm still trying to think up something equally insensitive for your letter. It has been moving around the house all month with only your address & a salutation. :(

Take your time, brother; I'll wait.

Lady Onogaro
February 25th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Did you get mine, Potter? My stamp couldn't possibly have been offensive. :)

Bogon07
February 25th, 2014, 08:25 PM
You didn't plaster the envelope with American War of Independence Victory stamps did you ?

Potter
February 25th, 2014, 11:30 PM

Lady Onogaro you custom made envelope was delightful and it had the regular USPS Global stamp, I'm sure you would not do such an upsetting thing! :)

PS Reply on its way, love you 'tiny' writing, as a clumsy southpaw I'm very jealous