PDA

View Full Version : What Pen Next?

epexlinux
February 27th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I have always used Lamy pens.
Have a safari and a few Al-star's
I love these pens. I like that they are cheap and well built.

As I have always just used these fountain pens I have no experience with any others.

What pen should I go for next?

I like the idea that the Lamy nibs are swappable and tend to use italic nibs.

Looking for something with a similar but I have much more of a bigger budget now.

Bogon07
February 27th, 2014, 02:24 PM
A Lamy Nexx. I think it is actually a better pen than either the Safari/Joy or Al-Star & uses the same nibs too.

Lamy Studio look & feel great but the curved chrome grip section on most of them can become slippery in some conditions so perhaps a Scala which has a straight grip section.

Then there are all the tubular Lamys: Logo, CP1, Pur, Linear, ST & Accent.

lisantica
February 27th, 2014, 05:34 PM
I enjoy the LAMY brand as well. The price-point to satisfaction ratio is right on for me.
The other pen brand that I have in mind for you is TWSBI. I see a lot of posts about craftsmanship issues on older ones (maybe newer too), but I have two TWSBI Minis and one TWSBI Vac 700 and they are a joy to use. Very reliable for me at work where I write for about 2.5 to 3 hours a day.
I own some Pelikans and Parkers and love those, but there's something about an inexpensive pen that writes well that is a budgetary thrill.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good input.
Have a fun quest!

ChrisC
February 27th, 2014, 05:36 PM
I'm gonna wait for thr TWSBI Vac Mini :D
I'll probably get mine from Pendleton Brown with Angels Wings and a Butter stub Italic

onepuff
February 27th, 2014, 06:22 PM
The Pelikan M200 series are very well made, a classic shape, quite affordable, piston filling and come with a very nice and slightly springy steel nib. There is also the advantage that nibs are user interchangeable and the gold M400 nibs fit too. Even better, vintage 400 series nibs from the 50s and 60 also fit and these come in firm, and semi-flex with straight or ball ends and a whole host of widths.

odd_soul
February 27th, 2014, 06:36 PM
+1 for Pelikan. They are great pens! My M215 is one of my absolute favorite pens! it is much smaller in size than the Lamy Safari & Al-Star, though.

I'll also suggest Pilot pens, as they are great. And I love my Platinum 3776 Century, which I can always recommend! Edison and TWSBI are great too.

Just get them all! :D

lisantica
February 27th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I'll probably get mine from Pendleton Brown with Angels Wings and a Butter stub Italic

That sounds ideal!

kaisnowbird
March 1st, 2014, 01:03 AM

That sounds ideal!

The Vac Mini is definitely on my list too, but given a previous disappointing experience with the Diamond Mini, I won't get one customised until I know for sure that I'm keeping it.

klpeabody
March 1st, 2014, 05:09 AM
If you like german design, and enjoy swapping nibs, then I might suggest a Pelikan. If you purchase from either Richard Binder or John Mottishaw, you can also request an italic grind on the nib at time of purchase. The nice thing is that you can purchase various nibs and swap them out as you choose.

Finalist
March 1st, 2014, 06:09 AM
I'm excited for the Karas Kustom Ink. It should be released for retail in April. All metal with awesome, clean shape for probably $60-$80 and you can pay more for a copper or brass section. Lots of color options, but I think I'll go for the raw AL look. The barrel sort of reminds me of a Japanese style, but the cap has a clean German design feel.

tandaina
March 1st, 2014, 07:04 AM
If you like swappable nibs step up from Lamy to Pelikan. An M200, or M400 (gold nib). If you really want a treat order it from Richard Binder and have him make the nib into a cursive italic. You'll never, ever look back. ;)