PDA

View Full Version : Pen Storage Project, V2

mtnbiker62
March 1st, 2014, 05:56 PM
User scrivelry correctly pointed out that I could get more pens in the boxes if I turned the pens the other way. There is a wooden ring on the inside diameter of the boxes to align the lid, that I didn't know about when I ordered the boxes, so they weren't quite deep enough to hold a full-sized fountain pen. Easily enough remedied - I had enough foam left from the V1 box project, so I ordered some No. 4 boxes, and created V2. The No. 6 boxes will hold my TWSBI Mini-sized pens and the No. 4 boxes will hold a full-sized fountain pen. Let me know what you think!102271022810229

Jon Szanto
March 1st, 2014, 06:11 PM
Only thing I'd be aware of, and it will be a while, is that many of those type of foams deteriorate after time. I've had a lot of drum cases that were foam lined, and I've used a lot of foams for packing musical gear, and this does seem to occur. It either gets soft and crumbly, or (less frequently) can get a little soft and tacky/sticky. Just keep an eye on it.

Otherwise, a nice simply solution to pen storage!

scrivelry
March 1st, 2014, 08:50 PM
Oh - feeling all famous now! It looks like it works and does exactly what you want:)

I've never used the foam and am perfectly willing to take Jon Szantos's word for it that it bears keeping an eye on, but it seems to me likely that if you are using it for pens you use all the time, rather than deep storage, that you'll see any foam deterioration before it gets very far. I like the addition of the piece of foam in the lid to keep the pens in place if you move the box around. Great job!

distancerunner
March 11th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Only thing I'd be aware of, and it will be a while, is that many of those type of foams deteriorate after time. I've had a lot of drum cases that were foam lined, and I've used a lot of foams for packing musical gear, and this does seem to occur. It either gets soft and crumbly, or (less frequently) can get a little soft and tacky/sticky. Just keep an eye on it.

Otherwise, a nice simply solution to pen storage!

When it gets soft and tacky it will often react with plastic pen parts. Discoloration and sometimes deformation can occur.

By the way, if you buy cigar boxes that have Churchill sized cigars (typically 6 1/2" - 7" or longer) you will have plenty of room for your pens.

Now as far as the pens picking up the aroma of fine tobacco and Spanish Cedar, well, that's just personal preference.