PDA

View Full Version : Impulse PFM II Buy - thoughts?

lisantica
March 3rd, 2014, 07:51 AM
I didn't do my homework on which model precisely, but have wanted a PFM ever since I watched some YouTube videos of "penhale"...(can't remember his exact name).

Time to leave for work was quickly approaching so I took the impulsive plunge....ever do that yourself? :)

Item 331143437922
Any thoughts?
I'll have to respond later in the day due to work schedule.

Thank you in advance.
P.S. This is my very first Sheaffer!

Snargle
March 3rd, 2014, 08:05 AM
I think you got a nice deal on a very nice pen. It's a classic for a reason.

jar
March 3rd, 2014, 08:07 AM
Do your homework and learn how to test and fill it before you let it anywhere near liquids.

Jeph
March 3rd, 2014, 09:23 AM
I like the way that the pen feels, and the PdAg writes a very smooth line. Overall a great pen. I would have taken my chances with a lower bid, but I am cheap. And I do like the blue. Jar's advice is very good and important as well.

lisantica
March 3rd, 2014, 03:43 PM
Thank you all for your input.
I want to learn about this great looking pen as I plan to use it at work.

The price seemed a bit higher than I wanted to pay being new to this brand, but the seller says it has been restored so I hope that will help me get started with it right away.

lisantica
March 3rd, 2014, 03:46 PM
Jar, I will be reading up on those procedures while the pen is in route. Hope it isn't too complicated.

jar
March 3rd, 2014, 06:00 PM
Jar, I will be reading up on those procedures while the pen is in route. Hope it isn't too complicated.

Just remember, never pull the tube out while the snorkel is in fluid, once you push the tube in to fill count slowly to ten and then retract the snorkel.

welch
March 4th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Good price for a PfM. You might have paid as much as $275 or $300 and not have over-paid. PfM might be the last great fountain pen. Surely one of the last of the classic-model fountain pens, meaning that after the PfM, both Sheaffer and Parker began to design component pens: section, barrel, filler all made to be unscrewed by an owner. The inlaid nib is a great idea. The snorkel was thought to be the ultimate in "no-mess" filling systems.

As JAR mentions, the snork can be used as a squirt-gun...OK for a test with water, but unpleasant with a load of ink! Note: you unscrew the blind-cap to extend the snorkel. Reverse when you've filled. (I dimly remember a Sheaffer TV commercial that showed the snorkel tube "drinking" ink from, what else, a Sheaffer "topwell" Skrip bottle.)

A great pen.

Jon Szanto
March 4th, 2014, 09:01 PM
(I dimly remember a Sheaffer TV commercial that showed the snorkel tube "drinking" ink from, what else, a Sheaffer "topwell" Skrip bottle.)

You're welcome... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE7xaKZf9Ew

lisantica
March 5th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Welch and Jon, thank you for adding to the thread.
I enjoyed the commercial until it said the PFM starts at $10 :D

jar
March 5th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Welch and Jon, thank you for adding to the thread.
I enjoyed the commercial until it said the PFM starts at $10 :D

Yup, but that seemed way too much and so I passed on getting a PFM until I found one in a closeout sale for half price.

welch
March 5th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Ahh...Jimmy Durante: I bet the good folks of Ft Madison, Iowa didn't even know they were on Broad-way!

- The PFM will be his friend for life (one person = one pen. No collections or pen rotations. Times and usage have changed)

- Starting at $10: about the price, then, of a top-line Parker 61 or the Montblanc 146.

lisantica
March 6th, 2014, 07:07 AM
I think the PFM arrives today!

lisantica
March 6th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Only regret is that I didn't know about these sooner!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/07/e6avy9eh.jpg

Wile E Coyote
March 6th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Only regret is that I didn't know about these sooner!

Try a Sheaffer Legacy. Main difference is the filling system. Great modern pens available in a juicy stub.

Mags
March 8th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Jon I loved that '59 ad you posted!

lisantica
March 19th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Just as an update, I've been using the PFM II for about 2 weeks at work. It works very well for the type of writing I do during the day.
For example, I'll write some notes that students need to copy, then I'll write a quick hall pass or pass to the nurse. I'll take roll, sign a report that's going home.
All those tasks perform well with the PFM II. Some pens that I've tried have a difficult time writing in all the different positions that I have to hold my hand, but not the PFM.
Now to ponder if I should buy another one as a back-up. :)

Mags
March 21st, 2014, 04:24 AM
Do you have a regular fine or med nib in the pen or a more exotic nib?

lisantica
March 21st, 2014, 05:44 AM
Do you have a regular fine or med nib in the pen or a more exotic nib?

Mags, I bought the pen used. The seller on eBay described it as broader medium.

Mags
March 21st, 2014, 10:25 AM
They write like a dream and the mediums always start. It will be a favourite for you I expect.

Jon Szanto
March 21st, 2014, 10:51 AM
Just picked up a PFM III with a medium nib, *had* to dip it before sending it off for new seals and sac, but boy, this one is a great writer. Right up there with the best of my Targas (which are uniformly great writers).

Woody
March 24th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Classic pen. Good buy. I've got a couple of Legacy's and love them.