PDA

View Full Version : Another Noodler pen thread.

Woody
March 3rd, 2014, 07:27 PM
I've decided that my few Ahabs have become containers for ink. And I'm not saying that in a bad way. I think I'd be looking for a much better nib if I was looking for flex. I've fitted the Goulet nibs onto an Ahab and Konrad and they have become marvellous writers. Very smooth with amble ink delivery. I wasn't going to post until I wrote with them constantly for a few weeks.

There's frustration and love over these pens, and most of the frustration comes from making the flex nib actually work. I've messed with that too with pros and cons.

Just a retrofitting note. When installing a Goulet #6 nib on the Ahab, the fit is rather tight and there's a tendency for the tines to splay. If one shaves down the inside of the section, the fit is much better. The Konrad section is perfectly rounded. The Ahab note quite. The Ahab section of course is made this way to fit the Noodlers nib.

Lady Onogaro
March 3rd, 2014, 07:59 PM
I think that I, too, am going to change out the nib to my Konrad. I don't care much about the flex that is available on the Noodler's, but I do love my Coral Sea pen, and I do love the EF nib on my Jinhao (which is also a Goulet EF), so putting them together seems a good idea.

welch
March 5th, 2014, 08:33 PM
We hear this a lot...or variations.

My thought: if you want a flex nib, then get a real flex nib, a Mabie Todd Swan or something similar. A pen from the '40s, probably, since the market for flex writing seems to have dried up by the mid-50s.

broadoblique
March 5th, 2014, 08:46 PM
A couple of my favorite daily carries are an Ahab and a Konrad ebonite. The Ahab has a 1.5 Jowo, the ebonite a 1.1, both with the Goulet logo.

Somebody here wrote that's it's best to think of the Noodler's pens as "pen kits", and I agree. And I think they are great pen kits. Having an ebonite feed that will set to just about any old #6 nib is a big advantage.

discopig
March 6th, 2014, 04:56 AM
You can heatset the ebonite feed instead of shaving off some of it, it should make the nib perform even better.

DPWilkens
March 6th, 2014, 07:59 AM
I had constant trouble with my Ahab until I replaced the nib with a Noodlers No. 6 fine nib. When I screwed the cap on the first time it was still too far out and got mangled by the cap. After some quick work with pliers I straightened the tines and the Ahab wrote better than it ever had with the original flex nib. Unfortunately the point is a little scratchy because of the brute force repair, and I'll probably order another replacement the next time I place an order with Goulet.

broadoblique
March 6th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I should probably explain the ebonite feed thing. Noodler's uses a hard rubber (ebonite) feed. Ebonite is the vintage material, rarely seen these days on steel nibbed, or even moderately priced gold nib, pens. Because it's rubber, it is somewhat plastic when heated. It can be form fitted to the chosen nib.

I heat mine in a mug of hot water, then fit it to the nib. There's a lot of expert instruction on the web. It's called heat setting the feed. Here you can watch (http://fpgeeks.com/2012/11/learn-how-to-adjust-the-noodlers-konrad-from-the-man-who-made-it-in-this-video-guide/) Nathan himself teach it.

cwent2
March 6th, 2014, 12:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7xG5535d68

This video is a easier method for those who may be hesitant to try Nathan's method

Woody
March 6th, 2014, 08:41 PM
You can heatset the ebonite feed instead of shaving off some of it, it should make the nib perform even better.
Agree. Heat setting the Ahab is the answer. The Konrads on the other hand have a rounded section and fit extremely well. These are hobby pens. Entertaining, and educational. I really like them.

79spitfire
March 9th, 2014, 04:41 PM
The section in the Ahab pens has a 'notch' or relief for the nib. I slide the feed and nib in then gently turn the pen until I feel the nib drop into place, then push it home.
The Konrad section is smooth.

pico
March 9th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I've replaced the nibs in my Ahab and Konrad with non-flex nibs from Knox. They are now very nice pens. Flow is good and don't seem to dry up after sitting for a night or two. I tried the noodler's non-flex and then a nib from a Jinhao X-450. All fit perfectly in both pens. Did you make sure the nib went into the inset section of the Ahab? If not, it would not fit correctly. I have given up on the flex nibs. You have to put too much pressure and it tears up the paper inducing feathering.

Woody
March 15th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks Pico. At the moment I'm now using a Goulet 6 nib with the Ahab feed. There is still such a big gap that it uses too much ink. I'll muck about and see what happens. Interesting pens.

broadoblique
March 15th, 2014, 05:46 PM
I've had problems with initial fitting of Goulet nibs. It seems like they are inconsistent in ways Jowo's with other brands' stamps aren't. One such problem was a tine gap opening when the nib was pushed into place.
Heat setting (see above) was the answer. It doesn't take long, and has usually been the answer for me.

Runnin_Ute
March 17th, 2014, 05:34 PM
I fitted my Konrad (which always wrote well) with a Goulet broad nib. It gets so much more use than it ever did with the flex nib. I keep Apache Sunset in it. Why a broad? I had never tried one. Wonderful writer. Never had to do any heat seating.

Lady Onogaro
March 17th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I, too, finally decided to replace the Noodler's nib on my Konrad Acrylic with a Goulet #6, and I am much happier with the pen and use it a lot more. Tinkering is not really for me.

Dreck
March 17th, 2014, 07:26 PM
The nib on my Ebonite Konrad is a tad stiff, & flexes only a bit. I like that. My celluloid Konrad, however, had a *very* flexy nib. I traded it to someone who didn't think hers had enough flex. I replaced it with the non-flexible Noodler's nib & absolutely love it