PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ID this? Real or Fake?

Sandy Fry
March 4th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Bought this desk pen set recently. Have not inked it yet as I would like to know if it is genuine. Thought I would try here before I ship it to Montblanc in Texas for verification.

Thanks

David

Photo #3 is of the top end of pen. Most of the Montblanc desk pens I have seen seem to have the logo on the barrel.

jar
March 4th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Looks real.

HermetiC
March 4th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Looks legit. As far as I know, there are no fake Montblanc desk pens.

ChrisC
March 4th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Looks like a vintage, guessing between 60s-70s? This is just a semi-educated guess, based on the nib and others I've seen on eBay like the Montblanc 22 here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351011613082

edit: this is even closer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONT-BLANC-CLASSIC-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/301104425834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461b38eb6a

tandaina
March 4th, 2014, 11:05 AM
And I've never seen an antique MB faked (OK, I have but it was a pretty obvious knock off/tribute pen from Eastern Europe and much earlier than this.)

Sandy Fry
March 4th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks folks.

I did think it would be rather odd to fake a desk set but I have yet to find one that is even remotely similar. All the others I have seen have the same ( or similar ) black bases. I have never seen a marbled black/grey stand and have been searching online for the last couple days.

@ChrisC....the nib definitely looks like the one in your second link.

Thanks again folks. Much appreciated.

David

tandaina
March 4th, 2014, 07:08 PM
I really can't speak to the marble. The pen looks legit. And I suppose if the original marble got broken someone could have created a new base. Or you just have a more unusual set! It certainly looks like it all originally goes together.

Sandy Fry
March 4th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Thanks Tandaina.

It does look like it belongs. The logo is on the base and it does say Montblanc on the pen holder. I am going to assume that everything is legit and just enjoy it.

Thanks again.

David

Paul-H
March 5th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Going by the ink window colour could this be a 12, 22's tend to have a blue ink window

Paul