PDA

View Full Version : Oh blimey, what to get from Goulet Pens?

amk
March 4th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I was thrilled to get a runner's up certificate in the President's Day challenge set up by Kia on the Creative Writing board. (What a fantastic thing to do, donating a prize to FPGeeks and starting such a fascinating challenge for everyone. It was great fun. Kudos to Kia.)

But now I have a little conundrum; what to get...

Being based in the UK and France, I'd obviously like to spend my $35 on American pens, which tend not to make it this side of the pond and when they do, are pretty highly priced as a result of taxes (not that I mind paying tax, but the administration costs are really stupid).

I have two potential acquisitions in mind.

First, a Noodler's Konrad(or two) or a couple of Ahabs. I'm tempted by the 'Rattlesnake and adrenaline' or perhaps one of the ebonites (though the Dixie I want is out of stock right now). I already have one Ahab and enjoy it, though I haven't got round to doing the flex mod (grinding two small semicircles out of the side of the nib to increase flex).

Secondly, one of the Edison Nouveau Premieres, because they're a Goulet exclusive - possibly one of the seasonal or other limited editions. Obviously I'll have to ante up the majority in my own money, but I love the Edisons I've got (a Herald and a Hudson) and I've always ruled out the limited editions because of cost - the gift certificate would help reduce that cost a bit.

So - what should I do? What would you do?

DrChumley
March 4th, 2014, 04:02 PM
I can't stand Noodler's pens, so I personally wouldn't spend my money on that. (I could go off on a rant about them, but I'll just say that they're not my thing at all, and leave it at that.) I just got one of the Monteverde Impressa fountain pens for $40, and I'm thrilled with it. One of the best values for the price I've come across in a long, long time.

And you really can't go wrong with an Edison pen, really.

caribbean_skye
March 4th, 2014, 06:05 PM
i bought a nib, ink samples and notebooks

VertOlive
March 4th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Just fyi: The 'Rattlesnake and Adrenaline' I bought over Christmas does not look anything like the pen on the website. Mine is overwhelmingly black with white swirls, the exact opposite of what I expected. I know they vary, but it was a disappointment...

writingrav
March 5th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I was thrilled to get a runner's up certificate in the President's Day challenge set up by Kia on the Creative Writing board. (What a fantastic thing to do, donating a prize to FPGeeks and starting such a fascinating challenge for everyone. It was great fun. Kudos to Kia.)

Being based in the UK and France, I'd obviously like to spend my $35 on American pens, which tend not to make it this side of the pond and when they do, are pretty highly priced as a result of taxes (not that I mind paying tax, but the administration costs are really stupid).

First, a Noodler's Konrad(or two) or a couple of Ahabs. I'm tempted by the 'Rattlesnake and adrenaline' or perhaps one of the ebonites (though the Dixie I want is out of stock right now). I already have one Ahab and enjoy it, though I haven't got round to doing the flex mod (grinding two small semicircles out of the side of the nib to increase flex).

Secondly, one of the Edison Nouveau Premieres, because they're a Goulet exclusive - possibly one of the seasonal or other limited editions. Obviously I'll have to ante up the majority in my own money, but I love the Edisons I've got (a Herald and a Hudson) and I've always ruled out the limited editions because of cost - the gift certificate would help reduce that cost a bit.

Don't rule out a Twsbi Classic..

Toffer
March 5th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Ah to be able to shop at Goulet! I would go for the Edison if its a Goulet special.

Bogon07
March 5th, 2014, 03:04 PM

I think it looks much better with the new redesigned piston cap
http://fpgeeks.com/2014/03/twsbi-redesigns-the-classics-piston-knob-can-now-be-posted/

Amk - I would be tempted to use the voucher to off-set the cost of a Goulet Edison Nouveau Premiere as a reminder of your prize.
I have a Nouveau Encore LE and it is a wonderful pen that I truly treasure.

The shipping out of the US is a real buzz killer isn't it.

writingrav
March 5th, 2014, 04:03 PM

I think it looks much better with the new redesigned piston cap
http://fpgeeks.com/2014/03/twsbi-redesigns-the-classics-piston-knob-can-now-be-posted/

Amk - I would be tempted to use the voucher to off-set the cost of a Goulet Edison Nouveau Premiere as a reminder of your prize.
I have a Nouveau Encore LE and it is a wonderful pen that I truly treasure.

The shipping out of the US is a real buzz killer isn't it.

This is exciting news. I never post so this has not been an issue at all, but I know it's kept people away from a really classy and high performance pen for incredibly little money and this will change that.

Waski_the_Squirrel
March 5th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I really like the Noodler's Konrad. I think it was a big improvement on the Ahab.

Sailor Kenshin
March 5th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Just fyi: The 'Rattlesnake and Adrenaline' I bought over Christmas does not look anything like the pen on the website. Mine is overwhelmingly black with white swirls, the exact opposite of what I expected. I know they vary, but it was a disappointment...

Same thing happened with my Ivory Darkness. :(

welch
March 5th, 2014, 08:28 PM
My advice, amk, on how to spend your money (ahem):

- ignore the Noodler pens. Every thread about them, on FPN, seems to conclude: "that's not a bug...it's a feature". Meaning: the pens have flaws but you can fix them. An intentional "do-it-yourself" design seems mistaken.

- Edison makes great pens. Brian Gray will take a returned pen and tweak it until you are delighted. I bought one of the first round of Edison/Goulet pens, the blue Edison Nouveau Premiere. It was designed not to post, so Brian shaved a bit here and there, and it posts a nicely as a classic Eversharp Skyline. Yes, you will pay more than the $35 gift certificate...

- TWSBI is an all-around good pen. I don't know if they are easily available over your way.

amk
March 6th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Thanks guys. I think that takes care of the decision: it will be an Edison.

cwent2
March 6th, 2014, 01:17 PM

Go to Anderson Pens and look at their Konrad acrylic pictures - I think you will see why.

amk
December 29th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Just so not to leave the thread dangling .... I finally cracked and went for the Autumn Nouveau Premiere, and having won another prize to get some nib work done, have sent it off to Mike Masuyama for some tweaking.

earthdawn
December 29th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Just so not to leave the thread dangling .... I finally cracked and went for the Autumn Nouveau Premiere, and having won another prize to get some nib work done, have sent it off to Mike Masuyama for some tweaking.

NICE choice!

looking forward to pics of that and some writing samples as well

congrats

dneal
December 31st, 2014, 10:11 AM
What earthdawn said... What are you going to have Mike do to the nib?

amk
December 31st, 2014, 03:51 PM
I have a broad nib, and want it to have as much line variation and to be as wet as possible. Fairly conservative tinkering.