PDA

View Full Version : Should my Paragon have a date?

broadoblique
March 4th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I have this bronze arco Paragon, 141 or 142 mm, BB nib, with no year stamped on the section (or anywhere else I can find)
It has a rectangular black box (no ink) with a black booklet and black paper outer box. I'm curious about it's age, and know next to nothing about Omas.

I have another identical pen (B nib) dated 1998 on the section, with a rectangular off white box (same size as the black) that says "Collezione Celluloide" on the tray (no ink) with a tan booklet and tan paper outer box.

Please, can you help me with dating the era of unmarked pen? And do I have the boxes mixed up? After looking through the threads I'm wondering if there was an undated old style model in the early LVMH years.

The other Omas I have is an FAO with an edition number on the section. Is there any significance to this pen having no marking?

pengeezer
March 4th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Only if you bring candy and flowers.....

John

tandaina
March 4th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Holy crap that is beautiful. Date or not, dang I'd love one of those!

Jon Szanto
March 4th, 2014, 03:42 PM
John beat me to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cS5aCozhcA

AltecGreen
March 4th, 2014, 04:22 PM
I have this bronze arco Paragon, 141 or 142 mm, BB nib, with no year stamped on the section (or anywhere else I can find)
It has a rectangular black box (no ink) with a black booklet and black paper outer box. I'm curious about it's age, and know next to nothing about Omas.

I have another identical pen (B nib) dated 1998 on the section, with a rectangular off white box (same size as the black) that says "Collezione Celluloide" on the tray (no ink) with a tan booklet and tan paper outer box.

Please, can you help me with dating the era of unmarked pen? And do I have the boxes mixed up? After looking through the threads I'm wondering if there was an undated old style model in the early LVMH years.

The other Omas I have is an FAO with an edition number on the section. Is there any significance to this pen having no marking?

The fact the pen has no markings is not unusual. The pens from the late 90's and early 2000's have the year stamped on the section. These were part of the original release and part of the "Collezione Celluloide". Of course this series was discontinued when Omas came out with the hideous re-design in 2005. However, old style pens kept on appearing on the market. Even as late as 2009-2010, nibs.com was receiving small numbers of the old style celluloid pens. Some had stamped dates and some did not. Otherwise, the pens are identical.

Omas still had the parts and certainly had celluloid rod stock of many of the colors from the 90's. There are two possibilities which are both plausible. One is that Omas had stocks of pens that had not received the final date stamping and they sold those pens off slowly using whatever pen box that was available at the time. The other possibility is that Omas made special runs for certain customers like one of the many pen stores well after these pens were discontinued.

As for the boxes, the white box I believe to be correct for the stamped pen. I have unstamped pens that came in the black boxes so that makes sense.

The person to ask would be Eric47 on FPN for a more definitive answer.

broadoblique
March 4th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Thank you, they are beautiful. That's why I ended up with two!
Thank you AltecGreen for the detailed and informative answer. I was told by the original owner that it came from Classic Pens, so your educated opinion sounds right on. So I have a 1998 and a post-production 2000's.

VertOlive
March 11th, 2014, 07:06 PM
I'd take that pen out on the town anytime, my treat!