PDA

View Full Version : Visconti Rollergraphic

Bdez
March 7th, 2014, 03:33 AM
I've really enjoyed using my Visconti Rembrandt Rollergraphic especially with its magnetic snap cap - very reassuring each time it's closed.

But what I can't fathom is the variable performance nature of the rollerball tip.

Some seem to have trouble with it skipping and scratching which can be quite audible sometimes. Others don't have an issue and others have fixed it with a good clean out with a mild detergent solution.

I've had mixed results with some inks (like Waterman cartridges) working well but other inks, especially when using the converter, causing regular and annoying skipping and scratching.

Has anyone who has had this issue solved it permanently - is it cleaning of the tip ? Is it cartridges versus converters ? Is it certain ink brands ?

Love the pen but can't stand the scratching any longer !

Any help or insights appreciated.

raging.dragon
March 9th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Ink getting stuck (via surface tension effects) is fairly common with converters. It could also be an issue with the tip - I'm far from expert at fixing and tuning rollerballs as I prefer fountain pens. My suggestions would be:

Try a different brand of converter. Faber Castell converters are reputed to be less susceptible to this.
Try a wet flowing ink with lots of surfactants, for example: most Private Reserve inks, some Noodlers inks, most Iroshizuku inks, most De Atramentis inks.

penstaking
April 6th, 2014, 12:16 AM
No, Bdez, nothing helps. Not inks, converters, cartridges. It just doesn't write. I purchased the Dali model last year. I now keep it on display as an objet d'art, but I don't write with it. Also, some of the metal on the grip has corroded...but I got it for a song and it is very beautiful, and I never really use roller-ball type instruments anyway, only true ink pens...nvrthlss Visconti had an interesting but flawed concept in issuing this type pen...just not very practical.

ChrisC
April 6th, 2014, 12:22 AM
The rust will be quickly solved by contacting Visconti. I read on FPN that this is one issue that Visconti was/is very generous with.