PDA

View Full Version : Hello from sunny Charleston, SC!

bec11mort
March 8th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Hello there! I've been lurking around these forums for a few weeks now, but I haven't actually gotten around to posting until now!

To introduce myself, I'm a 25 year old graduate student/marine biologist based in the USA who discovered the world of fountain pens in the fall of 2014. Since then I've become quite obsessed and have a small but rapidly expanding collection of modern brands, particularly any 'mini' pen I can find.

I look forward to learning from and getting to know everyone here!

caribbean_skye
March 8th, 2014, 04:56 PM
welcome, welcome.

imaginerhetoric
March 8th, 2014, 06:26 PM
:welcome: Another southerner or a transplant? Either way :cheers: for getting to live in the sunny south!

TerraNoir
March 8th, 2014, 07:43 PM
:welcome: I hope you share some of your collection with us! I do enjoy mini pens as well. Currently own a Kaweco Classic Sport, but I am looking at the TWSBI Mini.

85AKbN
March 8th, 2014, 08:22 PM
:welcome:

Jeph
March 9th, 2014, 04:41 AM

inlovewithjournals
March 9th, 2014, 11:38 AM

VertOlive
March 9th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Sunny. What is that?

Bravo for mini pens...Welcome!

cwent2
March 9th, 2014, 10:11 PM
:welcome:Fall 2014? - So your going to discover fountain pens in the future.

Just curious

Malcolm
March 10th, 2014, 04:37 AM

bec11mort
March 10th, 2014, 10:10 AM
:welcome: Another southerner or a transplant? Either way :cheers: for getting to live in the sunny south!

I'm definitely a transplant! :) I'm a Michigan native, so I appreciate the sunny south even more!

bec11mort
March 10th, 2014, 10:12 AM
:welcome:Fall 2014? - So your going to discover fountain pens in the future.

Just curious

Good catch! I meant to say Fall 2013, but I hope to continue to discover some fantastic pens this fall. :)

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome!

welch
March 12th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Welcome!! Just do as I suggest...not as I did...or you'll soon be a poverty-stricken grad student in marine biology: stop with, oh, ten or fifteen pens. Do NOT continue. Beware of the Esterbrook addition (+ "Must have all colors of J, LJ, SJ...and then some Transitionals..." etc.

Kewecpo Sport is a handy pen: folds small but "posts" to a reasonable size. And, be careful, as I warned, but consider the Esterbrook "small J" or the doctor / nuirse's pen: both about 4 3/4 inches capped, but comfortable when you post it. The Pelikan 150 is a sneaky-handy pen: small enough to fit in loose khaki shorts, fairly large ink capacity (piston filler), comfortable size when you post. Costs about $50 - $75.

Jon Szanto
March 12th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Hey Beck11mort,

Sorry, I'm a couple days late, but welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people.

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon