PDA

View Full Version : :( Poor Bird

tandaina
March 9th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Anyone else see this auction (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelikan-Ductus-3110-Fountain-Pen-Black-Gold-/121289767860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3d6efbb4)?

I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the poor thing, seller said something about threads being broken which made me think... hmm... Bet Pelikan can fix that... Then I realized something wasn't right.

:jaw: Someone managed to break the cap off still threaded onto the $*(@)*#(@)* barrel! The threads aren't broken, they snapped the cap. The gold band there is supposed to be on the bottom of the cap. I'm speechless. That's an expensive (and while maligned, I would have liked to try it) pen that someone treated incredibly rudely and violently and are now trying to pawn off on some unsuspecting stranger. :\ Cap slips on and off my foot.

Poor bird. :(

jar
March 9th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Well, at least no one bought it.

raging.dragon
March 9th, 2014, 09:48 PM
It looks like someone pulled the cap off instead of unscrewing it.

BMG
March 9th, 2014, 11:13 PM
What I like it when they say things like: "aside from the cap issue, the pen is in excellent condition." :)

Though this was a nice touch, too:

Some threads around barrel are missing so cap no longer screws on just slides on
Needs ink

Jeph
March 10th, 2014, 01:16 AM
I can't hit that link from here, but there were so many disgusting attempts at garbage auctions this weekend I refused to even participate on anything.
Several already had significant bids. It was sickening.
And I usually waste my entire weekend skulking around in the bay.
That is another reason why in gereral I limit my bids to nib value only, and I mean nib value to me, not some imaginary market value.
That way many more of my surprises are pleasant instead of like what you describe.

tandaina
March 10th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I tend to troll for neglected pens, poorly photoed that I can fix up and turn into everyday users. (Since I really don't care about collectibility). This one looked like a prime target at first. How much FORCE does it take to snap the cap off like that? These aren't exactly delicate little pens!

bluefeathers
March 11th, 2014, 01:03 AM
Yes, I was wondering why no one bid on it at such a low price, didn't read the ad carefully though since the ductus is too thick for me. There was a greenish tortoise Pelikan 400 that went for half of what I expected, and another in grey that looks magnificent except for a similar issue of the threads looking like they'd been hacked or nibbled. It's such a shame.

Hawk
March 11th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I see the pen has been relisted.

Jeph
March 11th, 2014, 10:26 AM
I can see it now and it has been relisted. That is doubly sad.

tandaina
March 11th, 2014, 11:03 AM
When the first auction ended I actually sent a nice note through eBay explaining the actual issue with the pen and suggesting that it is really a parts pen at this point and they might get more interest by dropping the starting bid. Got a *very* snippy response and I can see they haven't updated the description. *rolled eyes*

Adhizen
March 11th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I'm going to add my 2 cents to this thread..,. looks to me like some "hill billy" ingenuity gone bad ( not that that kind of cleverness ever turns out well)... It looks like the cap was jammed, miss threaded and stuck. To "salvage" the pen some one tried to turn it into a pull off cap... sad... it looks like it could have been a nice little pen.