PDA

View Full Version : Visconti Nib Removal Tool (Opera Elements, Full Size HS, etc)

ChrisC
March 10th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Anyone know where I could get the nib removal tool? I know I could go to FPH or some other large brick and mortar Visconti dealer to get them to remove the nib unit but I plan on regularly switching between my 14k B and steel M.

I would also be willing to pay $30 for one if someone would be willing to make one for me.

Bogon07
March 10th, 2014, 07:18 PM
ChrisC,
Posts #213

If you look at the base of the feed/nib straight on, you'll see two very small holes. There is a Visconti tool that slides over the feed and fits these two holes, so you can screw out the nib/feed assembly. I got one of these tools from the Dutch Visconti agent, but it is my understanding that they are not generally available. Some Visconti dealers may have them for the purpose of exchanging nibs.
I tried on my Homo Sapiens and it does fit, but since I had no need to unscrew it I did not force it, but I think it would need quite a bit of force. And because the holes and the pins are very small I doubt it would a simple and practical operation. If memory serves, this tool was included in the HS calligraphy set when that pen was released and that included the entire range of nibs available for this pen, so it should work.

& #215 in the Visconti thread by PeterPen maybe of some interest to you.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/337-Visconti?p=29842&viewfull=1#post29842

Chi Town
May 2nd, 2014, 07:06 AM
I would want one also!

john
May 2nd, 2014, 08:38 AM
Anyone know where I could get the nib removal tool? I know I could go to FPH or some other large brick and mortar Visconti dealer to get them to remove the nib unit but I plan on regularly switching between my 14k B and steel M.

I would also be willing to pay $30 for one if someone would be willing to make one for me.If only want to remove the feed and the nib from the section, just pull them out. No tools needed. I did it many times already.

Glennhkc
April 7th, 2018, 06:11 AM
I would also be willing to pay $30 for one if someone would be willing to make one for me.[/QUOTE]If only want to remove the feed and the nib from the section, just pull them out. No tools needed. I did it many times already.[/QUOTE]

Hi John,
I've a fairly recent Opera (Chatterly 10th Anniversary). Do you know if its nib would still be friction fit? I've tried to pull them, but am afraid to use much pressure on such a nice pen. Any information is appreciated.
Best,
Glenn

FredRydr
April 7th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Put together a group buy and contact Pentooling (http://pentooling.com) and see if his machinist can make a batch of the tool.

Scooby921
April 7th, 2018, 10:40 PM
The full size nib unit (nib, feed, and collar) can be removed by hand. No tool required. Thumb on the feed, nib cradled inside your pointer-finger, pinch and twist. When reassembling I've noticed that screwing it down tight can lead to leakage around the nib unit (ink will slowly bleed out between the section and the outside of the nib unit. Some silicone grease on the threads of the nib unit and then just shy of snug prevents this.