PDA

View Full Version : My Namiki Falcon's view of the world

Finalist
March 10th, 2014, 08:00 PM
http://youtu.be/AM2eKVQgjtE

I had this idea today to do a sort of hand cam woth my iphone 5s and my Spencerian Falcon by John Mottishaw. The weight is enough to affect my control a little, but it's still sort of cool to see.

earthdawn
March 10th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Pretty neat point of view watching...

Man that thing has flex and more.

Nice and thanks for sharing

KrazyIvan
March 10th, 2014, 08:59 PM
and the nib-cam was born.

Finalist
March 10th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Haha! The nib cam!

Drawing might be better suited for the nib cam. Writing was a little difficult because of the added weight to my hand and it gives me motion sickness just watching it. I do really like the longer lines though. A Leigh Reyes water drawing might be better suited for the nibcam.

ChrisC
March 10th, 2014, 10:02 PM
I always wondered how those compare to vintage flex nibs like Swan/Conklin/Waterman wet noodles.

Finalist
March 10th, 2014, 10:53 PM
It's not the best video for seeing max flex of this pen. The camera's weight was enough to make writing fairly hard, so with a slight loss of control I didn't push anything too hard. What you can see is how smooth the long thin lines are as i move up. This grind is a needle point at .1mm and you can stab the paper, BUT learning an ultra soft touch is not that hard IMO. The pen glides right up the paper on the up stroke thin line.

I've had this pen for about two weeks now and it is like owning an exotic sports car. It takes practice to drive correctly, but once you can control it there's nothing like it. Also, I think (more testing is needed) John Mottishaw's Spencerian customization is much like an exotic car's engine. It works incredibly well if it's taken care of. The needle point and increase ink flow really let you see what different inks can do and how the properties perform. ...I'll add more about that in my other thread I posted comparing a Serwex MB flex to this Spencerian grind Falcon.

Finalist
March 10th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I always wondered how those compare to vintage flex nibs like Swan/Conklin/Waterman wet noodles.

I don't think this pen is trying to be anything like a vintage wet noodle. The Spencerian grind does add some flex to the Falcon, but the bigger customization is the needle point that I don't think you'll find on a vintage pen. This Falcon has some really good contrast between the thick and thins, but it is more about the ultra thin lines. The thicks are plenty thick enough compared to the thins to give a perfect line weight contrast. IMO, vintage wet noodles go too far. They start to loose shape in the bowls and counter forms of the characters written unless you write bigger. 2cents

Finalist
March 13th, 2014, 07:42 AM
My computer was down at work, so of course I grab for some pens. This is what happens...

The trailer for Namiki Nib Cam Part 2...

http://youtu.be/sju8IXGtjNU

http://youtu.be/sju8IXGtjNU

jacksterp
April 7th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Really enjoyed both videos.

Have a Falcon but would never think to push it to those extremes.