PDA

View Full Version : Franklin-Christoph Model 40Po

Murfie
March 10th, 2014, 08:19 PM
This post was removed as there has obviously been software changes to the way images are uploaded to this forum. Referenced images (URL) are able to be embedded but that creates problems if the images are deleted or become inaccessible, rendering the post useless. If you upload images as attachments and specify them as inline, then they are embedded but also repeated at the end of the post as attachments. This approach is visually poor when multiple images are involved.

PS. Photos reinstated in subsequent posts to this thread as I learnt how to adapt to the new imaging rules in the site software.

Bogon07
March 11th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Nice looking stub nib & pen. Sorry I could not put up more of your photos as the work PC is still spazzing about.
-

Murfie
March 11th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Nice looking stub nib & pen. Sorry I could not put up more of your photos as the work PC is still spazzing about.
See what happens when you send photos to another FPG member! You just can't help yourself, Bogon, can you, ha, ha, ha. Add one inline and see what happens to it.

earthdawn
March 11th, 2014, 11:38 PM
I love that pen and must acquire one this year....

mmmm mmmm mmmm

Bogon07
March 12th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Murfie, Here is another of your photos :)
Two pens checking each out out. The FC-M40P telling the Pelikan M250 he is leading by a stub nose.

Murfie
March 12th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Probably the best way to overcome the current software limitations is to do multiple posts with one photo per post with the respective comment. That would work. So here we go, leaving out the two photos that Bogon has already posted himself.

So here's the first one of the pen capped with a fill of Diamine Marine. The pen can only be an eyedropper or use small international carts. The amount of ink it holds as an ED is not a huge amount.

Murfie
March 12th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Alongside a Pelikan M250 to give a perspective of physical size.

Murfie
March 12th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Photo of the cap posted. The cap is not easy to post securely and I found that it became loose as I wrote unless I took care to seat the posted cap carefully - bit of a pain. My other design dislike is the narrow section, which personally feels far too small.

Murfie
March 12th, 2014, 05:44 PM
And lastly some output from the nib. It is the bog standard steel 1.1mm italic which impressed. Tine separation was spot on, and I only needed to adjust the feedback to suit my personal taste. The nib was the highlight of the pen for me, the rest was a disappointment. But that could have been avoided with better research before purchasing, so I'll wear the blame accordingly.

kaisnowbird
March 14th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Hiya Murfie. I finally surfaced after a week of hectic work at the office and am delighted to see this little pocket beauty making appearance here. I have been thinking about getting one of these ever since they first introduced this ice and smoke version.

Your cool and crisp photos make a very enticing advertisement for it, but your fair comments about the narrow section and the posting situation is putting up red flags in my head. Maybe I should turn my attention to the bigger FC pens.

Murfie
March 14th, 2014, 04:57 PM
... your fair comments about the narrow section and the posting situation is putting up red flags in my head. Maybe I should turn my attention to the bigger FC pens.
Hi Kai,

Yes, the posting precision is a negative as is the very narrow section, which doesn't suit me as I tend to grip a pen too tightly when the section is thin. I'm not enamored with F-C's cap threading design either as I have a similar problem capping the pen. My model 19 '1901' has the same issue and I would much prefer standard threading even at the expense of more turns to remove/replace the cap.

Have you got your Delta set from Gary yet? Tracking has my two pens stuck in Chicago all week. I was hoping to have them by now, but no such luck. Ciao ...

kaisnowbird
March 14th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Curious that your package is delayed in Chicago, while mine stuck in New York, in and out of the same sort facility for 9 days! It'd better be landing in Sydney soon.

Sorry to hear that the 'block threads' are not meeting expectations. :tsk:

VertOlive
March 19th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Really intriguing pen. If it has a cartridge in it, is it fully visible as I'm guessing it would be?

Murfie
March 19th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Really intriguing pen. If it has a cartridge in it, is it fully visible as I'm guessing it would be?
Yes, I've got a Diamine cart in it at the moment and most of it - apart from the base under the threads - is visible enough so that you can see the amount of ink left in the cart. The color isn't as vivid as when used as an ED. I would have to say it is well designed for its intended purpose as a pocket or purse transportable pen.

Murfie
July 2nd, 2014, 08:54 PM
This pen has just been listed for sale on my website (http://mbm47.net/sale.php) should anyone be looking to acquire one.