PDA

View Full Version : Help with selecting inks

mtnbiker62
March 10th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Hi all,

I need help with some suggestions for inks. I am working on a project, and I need an earth tones palette of inks to choose from. I found a picture on the interwebs that represents the colors I want to use for my project. I'm looking for suggestions for inks that match these swatches...thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Cookies
March 10th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Just off the top of my head, so some colors may be different than I remember, but here are a few suggestions.

B - Rohrer and Klingner Sepia, J. Herbin Cacao du Brésil
D - Diamine Chocolate Brown, Private Reserve Chocolat,
E - J. Herbin Lie de The, De Atramentis Khaki,
G - Diamine Ochre, Private Reserve Sepia
H - De Atramentis Ochre, Ambre de Birmanie, Diamine Sepia
J - Private Reserve Avacado [sic], Diamine Sherwood Green
K - De Atrametis Green Tea
M - Organics Studio Manganate V
N - Diamine Prussian Blue, Iroshizuku Fuyu Syogun, Lamy Blue Black

The Good Captain
March 11th, 2014, 02:53 AM
You might find Diamine Salamander fitting into the J area.

Mr. JW
March 11th, 2014, 02:04 PM
J. Herbin Vert Empire might work for the K area. In my experience, it's sort of between your J and K, but still worth a look. Private Reserve Grey Flannel might be good for O.

Good luck. It sounds like a cool project.

plistumi
March 11th, 2014, 03:09 PM
There was a CMYK ink mixing thread several years back at the FPN. If you are not afraid of mixing inks or of Noodler's ink, it might be interesting. Here is the link (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/40629-noodlers-cmyk-color-mixes/page-3)

bigmac53
March 11th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Gouletpens.com has a cool swap tool where you can pick color families and it will show ever ink by manufacturer and ink name that they carry. I use this tool when I'm looking for a new ink. Full disclosure, I have no affiliation with the Goulets or their site, just suggesting it based on your question.

onepuff
March 11th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I would suggest J Herbin Gris Nuage for O and J Herbin Ambre de Birmanie for H. Beware, the actual tone achieved with any ink will depend on the paper you use and the nib / feed on the pen you use. A wet-writing fountain pen, a dip pen or one with a fine nib will make the ink appear darker when dry as they lay down more in for the area covered. If you are using them as a wash then obviously you can control the coverage.

Toulouse
March 11th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Looks like a cool project. I'll be following to see what everyone suggests. I'm after something like D and G.

rberg6868
March 21st, 2014, 09:17 PM
For some very non-traditional greens try Rohrer & Klingner Alt Goldgrun and Iroshizuku ina-ho. The last one is more of a brown green.

kaisnowbird
March 22nd, 2014, 12:09 AM
For some very non-traditional greens try Rohrer & Klingner Alt Goldgrun and Iroshizuku ina-ho. The last one is more of a brown green.

Love them both. :)