PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Grant Twp. Michigan

KHS
March 12th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Hello and thank you for the chance to join your community! :wave:
I have only recently begun to educate myself about fountain pens, though I have had a soft spot in my heart for them since my first exposure about 30 years ago.
I look forward to learning enough that I may contribute intelligently going forward.

Karl Schroeder

inlovewithjournals
March 12th, 2014, 01:47 PM
:welcome:

Jeph
March 12th, 2014, 02:02 PM

writingrav
March 12th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

Lady Onogaro
March 12th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Tell us about your pens, KHS. Welcome from another newbie.:welcome:

tandaina
March 12th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Welcome! Former Michigander here. Have fun and jump right in. :)

Mags
March 12th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Welcome KHS to the friendliest pen place around.

KHS
March 12th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Tell us about your pens, KHS. Welcome from another newbie.:welcome:

I have mostly Esterbrook desk pens, and a mix of pens from a box lot of parts pens on ebay. The one I carry most days is a 1960's Burgundy Sheaffer Cadet with F1 nib that must have spent part of its life in a toolbox. He's rough looking, and the section has a superglued crack, but he writes so fine and smooth I cant leave him in the pen cup. For occasions where I need something dressy, I carry a black parker '51' with steel cap & blue diamond clip that has a wet fine/medium nib.

Toulouse
March 12th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Welcome from a fellow Michigander.

TerraNoir
March 12th, 2014, 07:09 PM

welch
March 12th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Welcome, Karl! It sounds like you know plenty already, and anyone who used a fountain pen 30 years ago, or longer, counts as "experienced"! I started with a Sheaffer "school pen", the clear-plastic cartridge pen. Was given a Parker 45 for my birthday...had never heard of the Parker 51 until I tried a parker Sonnet, on a whim because my hand hurt using a ballpoint. You are way ahead of me!

VertOlive
March 12th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Welcome from another Michigan Geek!

So you have casual and dress pens--what's your Ink of Preference for these occasions?

KHS
March 12th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Welcome from another Michigan Geek!

So you have casual and dress pens--what's your Ink of Preference for these occasions?

The casual pen is full of Noodlers Air-Corp Blue Black, and the Dress pen is full of Permanent Royal Blue Quink that I found at the office supply store in downtown Port Huron. The box inner flap advertises the Vacumatic Pen, so I am guessing it is early 1940's production?
My desk pen is an Esterbrook 444 (hockey puck) with the short grip pen, and a 9556 firm fine nib. I feed it from a 1950's vintage quart bottle of Watermans Blue Black.

KHS
March 12th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Welcome, Karl! It sounds like you know plenty already, and anyone who used a fountain pen 30 years ago, or longer, counts as "experienced"! I started with a Sheaffer "school pen", the clear-plastic cartridge pen. Was given a Parker 45 for my birthday...had never heard of the Parker 51 until I tried a parker Sonnet, on a whim because my hand hurt using a ballpoint. You are way ahead of me!

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I have fond memories of those Sheaffer school pens. I still have one, but unlike the others I remember, it is scratchy and unpleasant to write with. I think thats why I still have it, pulled the cartridge, put it in the drawer and forgot about it. I love how a good nib floats across the page, unlike a ball point which needs to be forced.

00Photo
March 13th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Hello, plenty of michigan people here!

Jon Szanto
March 13th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Hi Karl,

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people.

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon

KHS
March 13th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Hi 00Photo
We Michiganders are all over. Like Okies during the dust bowl, we go where the work is, or if we can, where the weather is less vile! lol:smow:

cwent2
March 13th, 2014, 08:34 AM

imaginerhetoric
March 13th, 2014, 10:31 AM