PDA

View Full Version : Hello FPGeeks!

AXCross
March 12th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I guess I should introduce myself, even though I'm lurking 95% of time.

My name is Alex, and I am somewhat of a beginner fountain pen user. Started with Montblancs(have a few), was gifted a pair of great Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Points, bought myself a Lamy or two back in the day, and so on..
Have a couple of friends in the community, and am slowly being lured into the Nakaya clan... but resisting for now. :)

Not an expert by any means, just enjoying the experience. Primarily write to remember things, switched to fountain pens b/c stopped recognizing my own handwriting when using a ballpoint/rollerball.... figures.

Hope to become a regular, even if it's in the shadows. ;)

Manny
March 12th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Man, a "beginner" with Montblancs. Nice!

cwent2
March 12th, 2014, 09:57 PM
:welcome:

Manny
March 12th, 2014, 10:05 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/fpgeeks/0313140001_zpsjqpkdlhr.jpg

AXCross
March 12th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Manny,

thank you for the warm welcome!

I in no way intended to say anything bad about ballpoints. What I meant is that due to how fast I write I often can't read what I wrote - guess that's an hand-eye coordination issue. Fountain pens slow me down so I have to think what I do - and my writing becomes readable. ;)

I guess the Montblanc starting wasn't a very objective thing to say. I did start with Montblancs long time ago, a Starwalker ballpoint to be exact, but my first FP was a Lamy Safari, followed by a Lamy Studio and a Sailor Profit 1911(which is, to this date, my most favorite FP - go figure..).

Jon Szanto
March 12th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Hi Alex,

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people. And I'll be happy to push you into a Nakaya sooner or later...

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon

Malcolm
March 13th, 2014, 12:31 AM

Jeph
March 13th, 2014, 01:00 AM

AXCross
March 13th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!

I'll be happy to push you into a Nakaya sooner or later...

If Joi doesn't do it earlier. he he :)

caribbean_skye
March 13th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Welcome welcome. Now that we know what you like to write with, car to share your favourite inks too? After your comments about youre handwriting with ballpoint vs fountainpen, I'm rather curious how it looks. As a lurker you know we like photos. :)

imaginerhetoric
March 13th, 2014, 10:33 AM

KHS
March 13th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Greetings fellow newcomer! :welcome:

inlovewithjournals
March 13th, 2014, 11:10 AM

TerraNoir
March 13th, 2014, 11:55 AM

VertOlive
March 13th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Yes! Welcome and ink up!

AXCross
March 14th, 2014, 12:54 AM
In terms of inks, my long-time favorite has been Kon-Peki by Iroshizuku, but I do not like the way it looks when used in a MB pen.. Great in the Sailor 1911.
Montblanc's Jonathan Swift ink is one of my daily use ones and resides in an older Namiki Vanishing point, and a more modern VP holds Baystate Blue for when I'm feeling it.
Due to the feeling I get from Kon-Peki in MB pens, which I would assume is due to broader nibs and ink looking less saturated, I'm hunting for another kind of blue. Just received a box of samples from Goulet, hopefully one or two will catch my eye. ;)

Re: pictures/scans - coming soon. A tad too much going on this week, but I'll get to it.

jay.is.here
March 14th, 2014, 01:07 AM
:welcome: Welcome

AltecGreen
March 14th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Bay Area pen events this weekend.

The PPPC meeting is tomorrow.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6072-Next-PPPC-meeting-March-15-and-news-%E2%80%93-San-francisco-pen-show

The next Pen Posse is Sunday
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6146-Pen-Posse-Post-PPPC-Meeting-March-16th

AXCross
March 14th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Thank you!

I should be able to make the Sunday Pen Posse. Can't do PPPC due to scheduling conflict.

AltecGreen
March 14th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Thank you!

I should be able to make the Sunday Pen Posse. Can't do PPPC due to scheduling conflict.

Anything you want to see on Sunday?

Scrawler
March 15th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Man, a "beginner" with Montblancs. Nice!

Manny, there are such spoiled creatures. Case in point, my daughter was given an MB146 for her 18th birthday by a rather eccentric friend of mine.

And AXCross, welcome to the forum.

AXCross
March 15th, 2014, 10:09 AM

Really want to see a Nakaya or two.. Seen and read about them online, but am yet to experience one in person.

AltecGreen
March 15th, 2014, 05:28 PM

Really want to see a Nakaya or two.. Seen and read about them online, but am yet to experience one in person.

Not a problem.