PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Waterproof Inks

imaginerhetoric
March 13th, 2014, 10:49 AM
After I spilled tea on my notebook and lost portions of about 10 pages I am seriously considering changing to only waterproof inks. :cry:

BUT I'm a bit of a newbie and am at a loss on how to find good waterproof inks. I know about the Goulet's chart for Noodler's inks but are there other brands that have waterproof inks? Is there a list somewhere of favorite waterproof inks (perhaps in the forum I've yet to find)?

I don't really care for black or navy inks...is there any chance that some of the Iroshizuku inks are wp? I do love their colors.

cwent2
March 13th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I googled water resistant fountain pen ink lists - result #1

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/14905-complete-list-of-waterproof-inks/

Cookies
March 13th, 2014, 11:36 AM
After I spilled tea on my notebook and lost portions of about 10 pages I am seriously considering changing to only waterproof inks. :cry:

BUT I'm a bit of a newbie and am at a loss on how to find good waterproof inks. I know about the Goulet's chart for Noodler's inks but are there other brands that have waterproof inks? Is there a list somewhere of favorite waterproof inks (perhaps in the forum I've yet to find)?

I don't really care for black or navy inks...is there any chance that some of the Iroshizuku inks are wp? I do love their colors.

Unfortunately there's not a hard list containing every waterproof ink out there. Most of the DeAtramentis inks I've tried are water resistant, so you want to pick up some samples of those. Iroshizuku has quite a few water resistant (not waterproof) inks if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure most of their blues are. Sailor Sei-Boku is waterproof if you enjoy blue black inks.
Sorry I couldn't be more help!

TerraNoir
March 13th, 2014, 11:52 AM
R&K Scarbiosa (sp?) is probably your safest bet. Its a dusty purple.

carlos.q
March 13th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I googled water resistant fountain pen ink lists - result #1

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/14905-complete-list-of-waterproof-inks/

Nice list. I would add Montblanc Permanent Black and Permanent Blue. I've tried the black and it is a nice lubricated and waterproof ink.

GreenBox
March 13th, 2014, 03:06 PM
I'm looking into the new Faber-Castell inks. They claim to be water-proof and they have other colors beside blue and black.
Maybe someone has some experience with them (specially the green).

Wile E Coyote
March 13th, 2014, 04:41 PM
:deadhorse:

raging.dragon
March 13th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Noodlers make many water proof or water resitant inks in interesting colours. However, some of these are badly behaved in various and wildly different ways, so it's best to research any of the inks before buying. My favourites are Violet Vote and the original #41 Brown (unfortunately the formulation has since changed and the new version is lighter and yellower than the original).

Platinum nano-pigment inks are available in a few colours other than blue and black, though they're faded tones I'm not fond of.

On FPN a user named "pharmacist" makes Iron Gall inks in various colours. I've seen and tried these inks and the colours and performance are both good.

Just note that all these inks require a bit of extra care: don't let them dry out in your pen and make sure to flush them thoroughly after use. With IG inks, use vinegar (acidic) instead of ammonia (alkaline) if you need something more than water to flush a pen.

I'm looking into the new Faber-Castell inks. They claim to be water-proof and they have other colors beside blue and black.
Maybe someone has some experience with them (specially the green).

There's a positive review the green on FPN. It also seems to have better water resistance than the others colours in the line.

imaginerhetoric
March 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions & tips!

Mortiana27
March 14th, 2014, 04:48 PM
You have a letter coming (just went out today) that was written with that R&K Scabiosa that Terra mentioned ;)

imaginerhetoric
March 15th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks Mortiana, that should give me a good idea of the color! :)

TerraNoir
March 15th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Her letter might beat mine, but I wrote you one too. :P

RudyR
March 16th, 2014, 12:03 PM
One ink that surprised me with its water resistance was Pelikan Edelstein Ink - Topaz. Not a bad looking ink either. Pilot blue and Blue black also have great water resistance. But overall I still do love my Iron Gall inks. I also support the suggestion of getting the much sought after and often hard to obtain, Pharmacist's Iron Gall inks. Pilot blue has excellent water resistance and the new Montblanc Permanent Blue is ISO certified to be resistant to just about anything ..... maybe even bullets :).

Cookies
March 16th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Stumbled on this thread earlier today and thought I would share. This is after soaking for 5 minutes so they should definitely hold up to a quick spill of water or tea. Theres another photo after 6 hours and some even made it that far. Photo from this thread (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/192242-20-diamine-colors-compared/).

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1302373860__diamine_inks.jpg

Pendragon
March 17th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Fountain Pen Inks, A Sampler by Greg Clark has water resistance ratings for hundreds of inks. It also has pH and sunlight fade resistance ratings for each ink. The book was last published in 2007 (I think) and so won't have inks introduced since then. Even so, it can still be a useful reference. This reference was widely sold for a number of years, so one should be available at a very reasonable price somewhere.

Such a work can be very useful indeed. Perhaps someone, or better yet a group of someones, will publish something similar in the future.

jacksterp
April 2nd, 2014, 02:54 AM
That's quite a collection of Diamine inks. Wasn't aware that Diamine seems to have an inherent water resistance but it looks like the inks you have showcased hold up quite well.

Really appreciate you taking the time to provide this list.