PDA

View Full Version : Group of 'Shirt Pocket Fountain Pens' - finally, the weather is letting me make pens!

drgoretex
March 15th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Hey everyone,

As with a number of unfortunate locations in northern US and Canada, it has been a long, long, incredibly brutal winter here in Winnipeg - enough so that I have been unable to use my workshop for the vast majority of the past 3 1/2 months. This had just about killed me from pen-making withdrawal. Maybe next year I will have a heating system in place. Maybe...

In any case, with temperatures slowly heading closer to zero Celcius, I was finally able to spend a few days working on a four-pen order for a friend who needs gifts for graduating family members. The pen style was not specified, nor was the material to be used. So, left to my own devices, I figured I would use my most practical pen style, the 'Shirt Pocket Fountain Pen' (SPFP), which apart from its practical, shirt-pocketable size, also posts deeply and securely. I decided to use a variety of colours for the caps, and on a whim, gave each pen different end-shapes (flat, coned, domed and round).

I have a bunch more pics of each pen on my blog, but you get the idea...

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8989_zps99310713.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8997_zps47598233.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8998_zpsf15511d9.jpg

Feels good to get some pens done. I hope the friend who ordered them, as well as their new owners like them!

Thanks for looking - C&C welcome as always.

Ken

Lady Onogaro
March 15th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I love them all, but the purple and red ones are really appealing. What kind of nibs are you using on them?

drgoretex
March 15th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Thanks very much!

I use JoWo (Germany) steel nibs on about 95% of my pens.

Ken

anthonyd
March 16th, 2014, 06:12 AM
A great bunch of pens. The black bodies and colored caps give them a fun and modern feel.

Tony

klpeabody
March 16th, 2014, 07:43 AM
These are lovely! I enjoyed seeing these on Instagram as well.
I like how you gave each a different end shape. =)

orfew
March 16th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Wow, those are really nice. Thanks for the photos.

firewhatfire
March 17th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Looking good there.

Crazyorange
March 17th, 2014, 06:48 PM
That purple one is an eye catcher. Thanks for sharing.

Tsuki yo
March 25th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Gorgeous. I find myself a bit of a hobby collector (which is a dangerous and expensive thing to be). And as soon as I got into fountain pens I knew that I'd try to end up making my own one day. All I need is to find someone to gift me a drill press and a lathe. lol

Beautiful work. I hope that someday I can make something as nice.

drgoretex
March 25th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Gorgeous. I find myself a bit of a hobby collector (which is a dangerous and expensive thing to be). And as soon as I got into fountain pens I knew that I'd try to end up making my own one day. All I need is to find someone to gift me a drill press and a lathe. lol

Beautiful work. I hope that someday I can make something as nice.

Thanks very much. I should mention that you don't really need a drill press. If you get a drill chuck, as well as four-jaw chuck and collet chuck etc, you can just use the lathe as a drill press. I have never owned one.

Ken