PDA

View Full Version : BBC on the rise of the Fountain Pen

John the Monkey
May 22nd, 2012, 05:16 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18071830

"Sales figures are on the up. Parker, which has manufactured fountain pens since 1888, claims a worldwide "resurgence" in the past five years and rival Lamy says it increased turnover by more than 5% in 2011.

Online retailer Amazon has seen 2012 sales figures almost double from the same period in 2011. They are four times higher than 2010."

goldiesdad
May 22nd, 2012, 06:03 AM
I guess my pen buying spree has helped ....

writingrav
May 22nd, 2012, 06:06 AM
I am proud to be doing my part to boost the world economy. But the real credit goes to Dan and Eric.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

axolotl66
May 22nd, 2012, 07:03 AM
Who was the guy saying people should concentrate on computer communication? Doesn't he talk to anyone either...?
Graham

eriquito
May 22nd, 2012, 08:41 AM
I am proud to be doing my part to boost the world economy. But the real credit goes to Dan and Eric.

Why thank you, writingrav =) BBC must agree with you since they tried to contact us regarding the article. Unfortunately, their 10am is my 2am and we missed each other.

Very nice that they contacted The Writing Desk!

And a wonderful article all around. Anything to incite the frenzy =)

KrazyIvan
May 22nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
Why thank you, writingrav =) BBC must agree with you since they tried to contact us regarding the article. Unfortunately, their 10am is my 2am and we missed each other.

Very nice that they contacted The Writing Desk!

And a wonderful article all around. Anything to incite the frenzy =)

That is very cool! I like that the hobby is getting more exposure.

manoeuver
May 22nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
Sweet. This place helps.

Freddy
May 22nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
A great article, but then, we knew that all along. :bounce:

Bogon07
May 22nd, 2012, 10:19 PM
5% - I think Lamy must be fibbing.
All those Safaris and Al-Stars I've bought over the last 2 years !

And the Asian sellers seem to be running out of stock fast especially in the last 3-4months. Even in Australia with our inflated prices they appear to be selling a lot recently.

ianmedium
June 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM
I will keep folks up to speed with this but the BBC got in touch with Maja in regards to an interview about this subject and I am the lucky one to be doing it so as soon as the BBC get in touch to let me know when they will set it up I will let you all know. It is going to be a radio interview and it is scheduled to be broadcast on June 6th so I should be hearing from them any day now!

KrazyIvan
June 1st, 2012, 11:04 PM
Will it be stream-able after the fact?

Maja
June 2nd, 2012, 01:32 AM
I will keep folks up to speed with this but the BBC got in touch with Maja in regards to an interview about this subject and I am the lucky one to be doing it so as soon as the BBC get in touch to let me know when they will set it up I will let you all know. It is going to be a radio interview and it is scheduled to be broadcast on June 6th so I should be hearing from them any day now!

Thanks again, Ian! You have a lot of passion for fountain pens, you're eloquent, and you love both vintage and modern pens, so I think you will represent our club---the Vancouver Pen Club---very well! :clap2:

Ivan---I know that a lot of their radio broadcasts are archived, but I will make sure to remind Ian to ask the interviewer how to access the program online. It is supposed to be a pre-recorded interview (as opposed to a live one) so hopefully we will be able to access it online, or (worst case scenario) listen to the program live online.....