PDA

View Full Version : Staples Arc Refill Paper - Changes?

trhall
March 17th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Has anyone purchased refill paper from Staples recently? The new paper packs are labeled differently than they are on the online store, which still reflects the original name. The new paper is called "Reinforced Refill Paper", and at least in my local stores, the original isn't available.

The original paper, called "Ruled Premium Refill Paper White" is item number 886231 and model number 19993.

The new paper, called "Reinforced Refill Paper", has a number on the front 25181. Not sure if that is the model number or not.

The original paper was off-white and FP-friendly. The new paper has a clear thick tape along the edge, is whiter , made in Egypt, and sucks up a lot more ink. It doesn't feather but acts more like cheaper paper in the amount of ink it sucks up.

See the comparison image which uses a Pilot #5 EF nib (0.2mm) with Pilot Blue Black.

Does anyone else notice the difference? This really upsets me because I liked the old paper.

kia
March 17th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Well, hm. I'm torn on this. First off, I like the original paper, too.

But, mine still says narrow ruled refill paper and does not have the reinforcement tape. Mine is the 19993 stock number. (I just bought some 2 weeks ago.) Also, it says "made in China" on the back. I'm not particularly thrilled with "made in China" or "made in Egypt," but at the moment, my Arc paper is still the stuff I started with as far as I know.

I will be keeping an eye out to see if these changes hit my local Staples. I'm also going to be on the watch for the paper from Office Depot for their new system, which looks like it might be from the same manufacturer. I'll be curious when it hits the shelves.

trhall
March 17th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks, @kia. I didn't have the original refill wrapper with me any more so couldn't fill in the other details (including where the paper was made).

I hope that the original paper is still able to be ordered. It is lovely. The new paper... Not so much. Especially for those of us who write very small...

Haven't heard of the Office Depot system. Will have to go look.

kia
March 17th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Hello, and whoops.

About 2 months ago, I bought some paper that I put out of sight, and I just grabbed it to put it with my other. Guess what? It is the 25181 reinforced paper, and no, I do not like it. It feels like the paper is thinner and it was probably made cheaper because of the added tape and they kept the cost the same that way. Nonetheless, the 25181 reinforced paper is not as good.

I suspect they are both regular products, and it may depend on who did the stock ordering at that time, but the reinforced paper is definitely not my cup of tea. I will certainly make sure when I go to Staples that I look for the 19993 paper and request it be ordered if it is still available and not in stock.

Dad Of Sapling
March 18th, 2014, 09:57 PM
They must have just recently made the change. I bought some a few months ago and it was the same as the original, except it was a little whiter. Which was a plus in my book. But now if they have completely changed the paper that would be a bummer. I use mine all the time to keep track of wall of my projects at work. I guess I'll have to swing by staples and see if they have any of the old stock. If so, maybe I'll buy them out and corner the market :haha:

kia
March 19th, 2014, 01:34 AM
I was out on Staples website. All reinforced Arc paper is "out of stock" and only the regular offered. Maybe the reinforced is on the way out. I can only hope so.