PDA

View Full Version : Adjust inner cap on modern Omas???

markeh
March 17th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I have an OMAS Arco pen that is slightly out of alignment when the body is threaded into the cap. I know this is a minor cosmetic issue, but it annoys me.

Is there an easy way to adjust the inner cap, short of purchasing an expensive inner-cap-puller??

thnx,

Mr. Dante
May 6th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Bump. Same question. Thanks.

tandaina
May 6th, 2015, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure that would be the inner cap? Wouldn't it be an issue with the threads?

Mr. Dante
May 6th, 2015, 12:06 PM
The threads are on the inner cap. By adjusting the inner cap, the threads could be correctly positioned to bring the cap and barrel in alignment. I hope. Thanks.

tandaina
May 6th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Ah, sorry. Never seen a cap thread on that way, hopefully someone can help.

dneal
May 7th, 2015, 01:56 PM
What model Arco is it, an Ogiva? 360? Milord?

I don't know about the 360, but the threads on the other pens are cut into the cap. The inner cap is a plastic insert that sits flush on the end of the section. Once those two surfaces touch, that's it for tightening the cap and various issues can result. I had a Dama that wouldn't screw on completely, meaning the facets didn't line up and there was a slight gap between the cap lip and the stepped portion of the barrel.

The inner cap unscrews, and I sanded a bit off the bottom to compensate. Do that at your own risk, because you can't put the material back.

Mr. Dante
May 7th, 2015, 09:05 PM
It's a paragon. You're right about the threading being on the cap. I'd like to unscrew the inner cap but am concerned because I'm not sure whether it's actually held by a screw. The bottom inside of the cap has what looks like a notch for a screwdriver bit, but there does not appear to be a screw there. I tried to unscrew it with some pressure - it's left threaded, but there was no give. The notch feels like plastic, and I don't want to do any damage.

dneal
May 7th, 2015, 11:02 PM
It's not held in by a screw, and that notch is for unscrewing it. Problem is that it's no standard size, and it's slightly concave. I have a small metal sculpting tool that fits it, but you could grind the end of a screwdriver or shape a wooden dowel to fit it better.

Mr. Dante
May 8th, 2015, 10:15 AM
It's not held in by a screw, and that notch is for unscrewing it. Problem is that it's no standard size, and it's slightly concave. I have a small metal sculpting tool that fits it, but you could grind the end of a screwdriver or shape a wooden dowel to fit it better.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Think I'll look for an appropriate tool. Perhaps modified popsicle stick. I'm assuming that it is left-threaded, as I have read that the inner cap screws on other omas pens are left. Is this your experience as well?

dneal
May 8th, 2015, 11:44 AM
A popsicle stick is a good idea. If I remember correctly, it is left threaded.

Mr. Dante
May 8th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Thanks for your help dneal. If I'm successful, I'll post before and after pics.

Mr. Dante
June 11th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Update. I was able to fit the notch in the inner cap with two wooden popsicle type coffee stirrers held together. However, the inner cap was screwed in so tightly that I couldn't get it to budge. I later noticed that if I overtightened the cap when screwing it to the pen, there was enough "give" that I could get the facets and Arco pattern to align. I've been doing this gradually, and now after a week of letting the pen sit after overtightening, the alignment is perfect. It's still a little tight, but the facets and Arco pattern match up perfectly. I don't know if this is the result of the inner cap compressing or the celluloid threads loosening. At first, I thought this was sloppy quality control by Omas. Now I'm wondering whether Omas anticipated inner cap compression or celluloid thread loosening and deliberately misaligned the cap and barrel. I'm probably overthinking this. In any event, problem solved for now!

Before and after pics: