PDA

View Full Version : Nexx M and Safari size comparison

Bogon07
May 22nd, 2012, 06:02 PM
The Lamy forum need to boost its post count so here goes.

Lately orange has become my favourite colour and so here is a comparison between the orange Safari and orange Nexx M. As you can see from the photos the Nexx is slightly shorter than the Safari. If posted then if looks distinctly shorter. Even though the end of the Nexx M barrel tapers into a narrow triangular point it still posts reasonably securely and still feels balanced.

The grip area is much more rounded and shorter than the Safari's. The Nexx's finger positioning area is nowhere near as sharply defined. It feels very comfortable. I'm a bit worried about rubber grip section in the long term as some mechanical pencils with rubber grips become sticky and tacky over time.

The cap is also shorter. The large metal clip is the only difference between the Nexx M and the Nexx; it is an expensive piece of metal adding upto $20AUD to the price depending on the retailer.

Both pens share the same nibs and converter Z24 or Lamy cartridges.

manoeuver
May 22nd, 2012, 07:25 PM
Interesting- can't tell if it takes the hot-swappable Lamy nibs from the photos. How does it write?

Bogon07
May 22nd, 2012, 08:06 PM
Interesting- can't tell if it takes the hot-swappable Lamy nibs from the photos. How does it write?

Yep same nibs as the Safari, Al-Star and Joy .... same slide in section for the nib. I might experiment tonight to see how interchangable the grip and barrel sections are with the Safari & Al-Star.

It writes pretty much like the Safari with the same size nib (F in this case) except the grip is slightly more cushioned rather than the hard plastic. Writes smoothly with Noodler's Cayenne so far.

KrazyIvan
May 22nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
Awesome Bogon! Keep Posting those Lamy's!

I like the comparison between the two. I did not realize the end of the barrel had that triangular shape. The section has the same rubber covering as my Sheaffer Javelin. I have to be careful when I fill it and clean the grip very good or I get ink on my fingers. Do you find that also with the Nexx?

Bogon07
May 22nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
I had some problems with the neon light being dimmer in the room for those photos and I never know what sort of bizzare settings Mrs Bogon has left her camera in...previously she was experimenting with the white balance:crazy_pilot:

I should have used a lighter backgroud to show off the dark grey/black grip section. And cleaned the ink off the nibs for the photos. I can also see a bit of the camera or my head reflected on the Nexx nib - how careless of me.

The barrel dramatically morphs from round to triangular which also reduces the pen's tendancy to roll off a table when uncapped.

The Nexx rubber grip is quite a dense type, not squisshy like those gel Dr Grip things on Japanese gel/rollerball pens. As it is quite new I've only filled it once and got a little ink on the rim where the grip meets the nib. I just wiped that way with a tissue, I usually do this with all the Lamy otherwise you end up with an inky finger the first time you use them - all have converters so it is a dunk and suck refill. I think I'm going to have to get a syringe in the future to refill from those stupid J .Herbin bottles.

My main concern with this type of grip is remembering not to use it after eating anything oily or greasy like chips or peanuts unless I've washed my hands.

After donning the white lab coat, it seems that the Nexx barrel and grip sections are not interchangable with those of the Safari/Al-Star. They have different size threads and widths.

manoeuver
May 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
force 'em! Ha HAA!

Bogon07
May 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
force 'em! Ha HAA!

Nooooo that would be a fountain pen abuse violation.

The actual design of the Nexx is quite crafty as the short grip section lets the weight of the pen rest all along one of the triangular faces of the barrel to stop it rolling when lying un-capped on a table.

The rubberised grip looks similar to the one on the Lamy ABC fountain pen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've noticed over the last 3-4 months that the stock of Nexx pens in local shops has almost vanished. There used to be lots of them in the displays next to the Safaris and Al-Stars now you're lucky to find any.