PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern Virginia

Maco
March 19th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I became a Fountain Pen Geek after happening upon a few Aurora pens at a yardsale last summer. I fell in love with the pens and found myself frequenting pen blogs, watching YouTube reviews, and finally purchasing my first fountain pen February 2014 (the Auroras were ballpoint and rollerballs).

I chose a Lamy 2000 with a fine nib and have enjoyed using it, though I wonder if I should have chosen the medium nib. The Lamy hasn't failed me though it's not the smoothest writer so I am now on a quest for a smoother writer.

I really appreciate the size and weight of the Aurora Ipsilon ballpoint/rollerball pens I have so I'd like to find something similar. I tried the Parker Sonnet at a local retailer and it was amazingly smooth so the bar has been set (a completely different experience from my Lamy). Other pens I'm looking at are: Aurora Ipsilon fountain pen, Pilot Vanishing Point, and the Pilot Falcon. I haven't had the pleasure of trying any pens other than the Sonnet and Lamy. I pretty much rely on all of your wonderful reviews, blogs, and YouTube videos! I am so thankful for all of the knowledge and experiences other FPGs are willing to share! I hope to return the favor one day!

Too, I can't help but wonder if the nice man who sold me some of his pens frequents these forums. I've wanted to thank him for getting me into the hobby and let him know how much I've appreciated his pens
(-:

Tuppergal.Victoria
March 19th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Hello :welcome:

Jeph
March 20th, 2014, 01:04 AM
:welcome:

writingrav
March 20th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

85AKbN
March 20th, 2014, 07:10 AM

cwent2
March 20th, 2014, 07:45 AM

caribbean_skye
March 21st, 2014, 05:50 AM
welcome, welcome

jfsisler
March 21st, 2014, 07:46 AM
Andersonpens.net has just added some Ipsilons to their site in red, black and yellow. As an owner of one that has been traumatized over the years, I can say they're worth the money. If mine writes as well as it does with the abuse it's taken, yours should be just about perfect.

Tracy Lee
March 22nd, 2014, 04:37 AM
Andersonpens.net has just added some Ipsilons to their site in red, black and yellow. As an owner of one that has been traumatized over the years, I can say they're worth the money. If mine writes as well as it does with the abuse it's taken, yours should be just about perfect.

Funny, I have owned three of these and hated every one down to my marrow. How weird is that? I won't even try another Aurora because of it. Clearly I have issues! :rolleyes:

kaisnowbird
March 22nd, 2014, 06:42 AM
I think I heard from a few sources that Aurora nibs are not very smooth - they have a 'signature' feedback. Tracy Lee, was that why you disliked them? In any case, I'd suggest the OP to try before buying.

Welcome, btw. :wave:

Tracy Lee
March 22nd, 2014, 07:21 AM
I think I heard from a few sources that Aurora nibs are not very smooth - they have a 'signature' feedback. Tracy Lee, was that why you disliked them? In any case, I'd suggest the OP to try before buying.

Yes, it was terrible feedback (scratchy, but more than that) which, as it turns out, I am hypersensitive to in steel nibs. Took me awhile to figure that out. Plus they were fine nibs and I learned I am not a fine person, and the ink flow was just never right for me. All in all, a bad mix for Tracy Lee though clearly a good pen for others.

kaisnowbird
March 22nd, 2014, 08:43 AM
Doesn't sound very appealing to me either.

TerraNoir
March 22nd, 2014, 08:31 PM

VertOlive
March 22nd, 2014, 11:25 PM
Welcome Maco. Most of the fun is the hunt for the next pen. Enjoy!

jfsisler
March 23rd, 2014, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=Funny, I have owned three of these and hated every one down to my marrow. How weird is that? I won't even try another Aurora because of it. Clearly I have issues! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

To each his own, not every pen is for everyone:)

jfsisler
March 23rd, 2014, 03:15 PM

Yes, it was terrible feedback (scratchy, but more than that) which, as it turns out, I am hypersensitive to in steel nibs. Took me awhile to figure that out. Plus they were fine nibs and I learned I am not a fine person, and the ink flow was just never right for me. All in all, a bad mix for Tracy Lee though clearly a good pen for others.

Ah therein lies the difference, I have a broad gold nib on mine. WOuldn't like it if it was a fine. Not with my handwriting anyway.

Tracy Lee
March 23rd, 2014, 03:18 PM

Ah therein lies the difference, I have a broad gold nib on mine. WOuldn't like it if it was a fine. Not with my handwriting anyway.

That seems like it would be pretty good. Gold makes everything better. :-)

Jon Szanto
March 25th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Hi Maco,

I'm tardy, but welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people.

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon

Frank
March 27th, 2014, 11:11 AM

inlovewithjournals
March 27th, 2014, 11:18 AM

Mags
March 30th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the forum. Get your geek on in here for pens.