PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Montblanc Red Chalk (Leonardo da Vinci Limited Edition)

DrChumley
March 19th, 2014, 10:58 PM
My full review (including additional photos) can be found here (http://penhabit.com/2014/03/20/ink-review-montblanc-da-vinci-red-chalk/).

Okay, so, I'm starting to form a real gripe with the powers that be in Montblanc's ink division. They keep putting out all of these amazing inks as limited editions. And sure, I'll buy a bottle or two, but come on. I would make some of these inks my daily writers if I knew they were going to be around for a while.

Anyway, red chalk is a beautiful ink with some of the best shading I've ever seen in any ink, ever. Aside from Apache Sunset, I think this is the mostly highly shaded ink in my collection. It does tend to run a little on the dry side, but that does seem to help with the dry times, which are pretty low on Rhodia paper, and spectacular on cheap paper. (In fact, overall performance of this ink is spectacular on cheap paper.) This ink also has the worst water resistance I have ever seen in my life, but since I don't care about water resistance for anything other than signing checks or addressing envelopes, it's not a deal breaker for me.

But man, the color and the shading on this ink are spectacular. They really do remind me a lot of da Vinci's old drawings.

I think the closest I have seen to this ink would probably be Diamine Ancient Copper, but Red Chalk has a very different feel. I probably would have given it a 9 (or even a 10) were it not for the dryness, the lack of lubrication, and the water resistance issues. I'm going to be pretty upset when I run out of the two bottles of this I purchased.

earthdawn
March 20th, 2014, 01:18 AM
What a fantastic review of an ink thats been on my "need" list since it came out.

Beautiful drawing by the way.. wow...

Your detailed review is very much appreciated !!!

Thank you

DrChumley
March 20th, 2014, 01:22 AM

Heh. Well, I can't take credit for that...:)

earthdawn
March 20th, 2014, 01:30 AM

Heh. Well, I can't take credit for that...:)

Ahhh... i thought you drew that with the ink ... lol... well I guess that kind of talent is difficult to copy with all due respect.

It really does look like it would have been made with that ink or a color very close to it.

Lady Onogaro
March 20th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I don't usually go for reds or oranges or browns, but I really like that.

Laura N
March 20th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Great review and those pictures are fantastic. I love this ink -- color and behavior both. I find the Montblanc Red Chalk preferable to Diamine Ancient Copper, to my tastes. It's subtle, beautiful and very well-behaved.

dannzeman
March 20th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I was disappointed with the color when I first got it as I was expecting more red in it, but after using it it quickly became one of my favorites. Great review!

Robert
March 20th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Very nicely done review, Doc. I've put this ink on my "To Buy" list.

VertOlive
March 20th, 2014, 07:40 PM
A kind fellow geek here sent me a sample of this ink, I'm using it in a Platinum 3776 fine point. I like the color so well, I want to use a wider nib so I get to see more of it on the paper!

Many thanks for the fine review.

Adhizen
March 20th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Wow! That is a pretty color.

Winnie
March 25th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Love the color and the shading! Thanks for the great review.

mtnbiker62
March 25th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I had to do it...I couldn't help myself...I'm so ashamed...I bought two bottles. :hippie:

Laura N
March 26th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I had to do it...I couldn't help myself...I'm so ashamed...I bought two bottles. :hippie:

The only thing I don't understand is why you are ashamed of yourself. Because you didn't buy three bottles? :)

Mags
March 26th, 2014, 01:53 PM
These inks really need to bring water resistance up to a 5. I want to be able to soak an ink away but not be afraid of a drop of rain or sweat.

Newjelan
March 27th, 2014, 02:10 AM
Great review of what looks to be a stunning ink.

Adhizen
March 27th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I just got a couple of bottles of this ink. I really like this color. Nice saturation and very deep.

kaisnowbird
March 29th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Me likey! But I promised self not to buy ink in this colour until I finish either my J Herbin Terre de Feu or PR Copper Burst. :p

Tim Payne
May 1st, 2014, 04:29 PM
Really awesome! Is it alright if I copy your review template (handwritten template that is) for my own reviews?

cwent2
May 1st, 2014, 04:31 PM
I received a sample, and ordered a bottle.

DrChumley
May 1st, 2014, 05:22 PM
Really awesome! Is it alright if I copy your review template (handwritten template that is) for my own reviews?

Sure. In fact, I even provide a PDF download of my (soon to be old) template on the pen habit website.

Tim Payne
May 1st, 2014, 05:33 PM

Sure. In fact, I even provide a PDF download of my (soon to be old) template on the pen habit website.

Oh great! What's the link?

cwent2
May 1st, 2014, 09:20 PM

Oh great! What's the link?
http://penhabit.com

vibhi204
May 8th, 2014, 08:14 PM
fantastic review of an ink simply amazing the handwriting looks like its written with a smooth silk thread,fantastic review and pics.

7188photo
July 19th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Tried to find it yesterday here in Tokyo but without success - seems it's already gone in the big shops like Itoya or Maruzen :(

This review is so good it made me travel around the whole city to find a bottle!

Chi Town
July 20th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I have this ink as well, and you did a nice comprehensive review!

Marsilius
July 20th, 2014, 11:29 PM
So did I.

Austin_Malone
July 27th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Where can I purchase the limited edition Montblanc Inks? Could someone PM me a link please?

Ste_S
July 30th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Also would love to know where people are picking this up from. Do the Mont Blanc boutiques usually have stock of the Limited Editions ?

DrChumley
July 30th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I know that Pen Boutique has this ink in stock at last check a couple of days ago. And I heard that Bertram's Inkwell has it also. You may also want to check with World Lux in Seattle. They may still have some in stock, but you'd probably need to call the 800 number. I don't know if their website is up to date.

VertOlive
July 30th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Bought a bottle this week from Bertram's Inkwell.